RE: [NH] Paged Media

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
      > This is in the CSS table.
      >
      > P.breakhere { page-break-before:always; }
      >
      > Occurrences of this are placed strategically in the ensuing pages.

      I've currently got:

      =================
      @media screen
      {p.break{display : none;}
      }

      @media print{
      p.break{
      page-break-before : always;
      font-size : 0pt;
      margin : 0px;
      padding : 0px;
      height : 0px;
      }
      }
      =================

      in mine. The screen rule conveniently hides the

      <P class="break"> </P>

      when browsing,

      but I still haven't cracked how to give it zero height when printed. Any
      ideas?

      Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
        > > This is in the CSS table.
        > >
        > > P.breakhere { page-break-before:always; }
        > >
        > > Occurrences of this are placed strategically in the ensuing pages.

        Now I have

        ================
        p.break{
        page-break-after : always;
        }
        ================

        and applied to the preceding paragraph it seems to do the job, with no need
        for a spurious:

        Still like to see a "soft page break" technique, or I am sure those who
        don't use A4 paper will come a cropper when using my sites! :-)

        Greg
      • jorigami
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:
          > The screen rule conveniently hides the
          >
          > <P class="break"> </P>
          >
          > when browsing,
          >
          > but I still haven't cracked how to give it zero height when printed.

          line-height: 1px; height: 1px; margin: -1px 0 0 0;

          That might work. Plain "height: 0px" is unreliable with Firefox, at
          least on screen media it sometimes optimizes whole element (and any
          break with it) away.

          Let me know if it actually works ;)

          Jorma
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
            Hi Jorma,

            > > but I still haven't cracked how to give it zero height when printed.
            >
            > line-height: 1px; height: 1px; margin: -1px 0 0 0;
            >
            > That might work. Plain "height: 0px" is unreliable with Firefox, at
            > least on screen media it sometimes optimizes whole element (and any
            > break with it) away.

            As you'll have seen I have avoided the issue by adopting a "break-after"
            approach rather than hrs' "break-before" approach.

            In other places I am still getting people say:

            img {page-break-inside:avoid;}
            does the trick. This works as far back as IE5.

            so either I'm doing something wrong, or the guy hasn't fully read the
            question properly.

            I'll probably upload a sample page and let others have a look/make
            suggestions.

            Greg
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              >In other places I am still getting people say:

              >img {page-break-inside:avoid;}
              >does the trick. This works as far back as IE5.
              >
              >so either I'm doing something wrong, or the guy hasn't fully read the
              >question properly.

              The guy is wrong.

              <http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/browser_support/printing.html>

              HTH