[NH] Re: Any ideas on a shopping cart?

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 1999
      Hi Lawrence:
      You might try http://www.Extropia.com they have a shopping cart called
      web_store
      which is a cgi script using perl5 ... it is easy enough to configure but the
      html code is
      a little confusing ... it runs through the cgi script ... I am working on
      mine now there
      is allot of doc that goes with it ... helps you to learn perl programing
      also ...

      cheers

      Bill Scott

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
        Wayne & Bill,

        Thanks for the information. I figured it was probably that complex. I
        could probably do it, but it sounds like it is much more involved than I
        have time for.

        On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:36:52 GMT wayne@... (Wayne VanWeerthuizen)
        writes:
        >I do not know of any free tutorials, although they likely exist.
        >
        >Here is a quick overview of how the process works. Realize it is
        >MUCH more involved then merely creating a page in HTML and uploading it.

        Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
        http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/ ***NEW Address***
        My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Steve Veltcamp
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
          I'm going to have to disagree with a few things some of the usually sage folks have said.

          You do not need any kind of database for a shopping cart. There is a quite good one available for free from Arpanet.com called Perlshop. I have installed about a dozen applications of it.

          While some ISP's will want to install scripts themselves or inspect scripts, I won't be on that kind of host. I want total control over my own CGI-bin, meaning I can install just about whatever.

          For more powerful shopping carts, I recommend Miva Merchant. It does use a database, but an internal one and no SQL. It is not free, however, you'll spend $400-$700 depending on whether the host has the Miva engine installed.

          On a similar note - I've made an offline shopping cart that works in Notetab. I produce catalogs on floppy disk with it. I was very interested in the question posted earlier on whether we could get Notetab clips to somehow work on a server, because then I'd have my own Web shopping cart!

          --
          For mutual success,
          Steve Veltkamp, Biz$hop Online

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Glenn Dixon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
            If you have an NT/IIS server as host for the web site in question, you might
            consider an ASP shopping cart. Here's a link to a sample using VBScript (i
            think).....

            http://local.15seconds.com/search/goto.asp?Goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easp101%2E
            com%2Fsamples%2Fshopping%2Easp%3Faction%3Dcheckout

            Glenn Dixon
            glenn@...
            http://thedixons.net

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
              Glen,

              That did not get me there, but I got to the main page and went from
              there.

              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 1999
                Steve,