[NH] printing/style sheets

  • ChrisPye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 1999
      Hi
      Thanks Grant for the thoughts about style sheets. So far I've written only in straight HTML. I began (and ended up with Notetab!) by using Joe Barta's HTML Tutorial - do you know of any similar help with style sheets?

      >When ever you want to force a printed page break in your HTML page use.
      ><BR class="pageBreak">
      >Note;This does not effect "visual"(monitor) display only printed output.
      >Note2;This only works for browsers which support this W3C CSS2 defined
      >property. In this case only IE4 IE5 and not NN4 Correct me if I'm wrong?

      This is one of the reasons I have stuck to the still common 'old' method (the fact I know nothing of style sheets is hardly worth mentioning of course). There must be many with computers not supporting CSS2 - what would they see? I've heard a lot about browsers being easily 'confused' (hah!) but have no experience. Anyone?

      >On page width;
      >As far as I know HTML dynamically wraps element content
      This I'm OK with - it's really the printing that I'm thinking on here. Thanks for the tip about <pre>.

      >Otherwise just let your Elements content go
      >with the flow.
      Sounds great! These are style sheet Elements? Obviously I've got homework to do..

      >> 1. How do I enable the user to simple PRINT THE WHOLE series of
      >> pages IN ONE GO, rather than a page at a time?
      >Yes you could rearrange your pages into one long page.>> pages IN ONE GO, rather than a page at a time?

      Jody, too, thanks:
      >Grant wrote what I was going to suggest:
      >>> Yes you could rearrange your pages into one long page.
      >If it were me, I would make .txt, .doc, and .htm available for
      >download for printing.
      I think this is the most expedient answer for now: to zip up a package of options: view here, print here etc. I'll definitely have NTB in on the job.

      Just now, following my own advice about homework, I was looking around for info on Style sheets and at http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Provider/Style/Overview.html I found a 'Style Guide for Online Hypertext' The author says:

      'For example, the most common comment about this document was that it is difficult to print. I therefore made a single page version of the whole thing with a few scripts... The scripts were just bits of "sed", which I am not supporting. I have put rules in at the top and bottom of each page and the scripts use these to chop off bits which are not needed in the printed copy...'

      What would 'sed' be? I have actually looked at the source and can't see anything notable. But it sounds the sort of thing you were talking about Grant.

      >(No comment on the Adobe Reader. :-)
      Hm, Jody, why not? :-7

      Steve Veltcamp wrote
      >Another solution that works well for both issues is to download the free
      >utility HP Web PrintSmart.
      I suppose that, just as I need to have a link for downloading Winzip - although most have it, one can't assume (or that everyone has Notetab - inconceivable as this seems!), this would be useful too. So thanks, I'll check it out.

      As I understand it, to make a zip file available for downloading, you just place it in a folder somewhere, have a link to the file, and the viewer's browser just pulls it down automatically? I'll assume it's just so unless anyone corrects me.

      Great. Thanks for the help.
      Chris

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hi Chris, please use Linebreaks after about 70 Lines.

        You can take Notetab and set it up with a wordwrap of 70 chars and write in
        there. Finally mark everything and press ctrl-shift-j or use modify ->
        lines -> split lines. When you are in the webbrowser in a textfield you can
        mark everything and then press ctrl-c to copy it to the clipboard and in
        notetab ctrl-v to paste

        With notetab pro you can get this ugly thing

        > 'For example, the most common comment about this document was that it is difficult to print. I therefore made a single page version of the whole thing with a few scripts... The scripts were just bits of "sed", which I am not supporting. I have put rules in at the top and bottom of each page and the scripts use these to chop off bits which are not needed in the printed copy...'

        into this nice formatted text:
        >'For example, the most common comment about this document was
        >that it is difficult to print. I therefore made a single page
        >version of the whole thing with a few scripts... The scripts were
        >just bits of "sed", which I am not supporting. I have put rules
        >in at the top and bottom of each page and the scripts use these
        >to chop off bits which are not needed in the printed copy...'

        How? I have marked your text (ctrl-a), copied it (ctrl-c), changed to
        notetab (with alt-tab), opened a new docoment (ctrl-n), pasted the text
        (ctrl-v), marked it (ctrl-a), pressed ctrl-shift-m for a reformat.

        But to come back to your question: sed is a unixbased tool for search an
        teplace. you might consider using a clip to save you hugefile and then
        split it into little files.

        Nicole

        --
        »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
        enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 1999
          > written only in straight HTML. I began (and ended up with
          > Notetab!) by using Joe Barta's HTML Tutorial - do you know of any
          > similar help with style sheets?

          There is heaps of stuff out there but Stephanos Piperoglou's

          http://www.webreference.com/html/tutorials/

          gets my vote as the best html/css tutorials site.
          Also Eric Meyer's stuff on the webreview site is worth a look at

          http://webreview.com/wr/pub/1999/06/25/style/index.html

          And of course as Jody mentioned you will need to have the W3C standard

          http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/css2.zip

          Which contains " A brief CSS2 tutorial for HTML"

          > This is one of the reasons I have stuck to the still common 'old'
          > method (the fact I know nothing of style sheets is hardly worth
          > mentioning of course). There must be many with computers not
          > supporting CSS2 - what would they see? I've heard a lot about
          > browsers being easily 'confused' (hah!) but have no experience. Anyone?

          My understanding is that If a browser comes across an element ,attribute or
          css selector property it does not recognise it just ignores it. Problems
          occur when a browser recognises an element etc, then dutifully renders it
          in a buggy fashion.
          Take a look at Eric Meyer's css bugList
          http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html