Re: [NH] Tell me again...

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 13, 2005
      On 13/1/2005 12:37, Christine invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >what the heck the <div> tag is for?
      >
      >I'm working in documents created in Dreamweaver -- what a bunch of CRUD that
      >program inserts!!! -- and there are empty <div> tags all over the place.
      >Among many, many other, empty tags.
      >
      >Those that contain data? The purpose of a <div> is to do what?

      effect and no implied semantic meaning. Any effect (formatting) has to
      be done through CSS.

      distinctive block, but without having to deal with the default styles
      applied and/or the semantic assumptions attached to other elements.

      For instance, you might want to give a distinctive appearance (colors,
      borders, whatever) to a block of text. Traditional ways of doing that
      would be either using tables or a CSS-styled <blockquote>.

      Tables are seriously discouraged for anything that is NOT tabular data
      for a number of reasons -- theoretical ones being that they were not
      designed for that and that they don't "degrade" gracefully if the page
      is viewed in conditions very dissimilar to the ones in which the
      designer worked (for instance, they usually look very bad in
      small-screen browsers).

      However, you don't want to use <blockquote> because:
      first: this is not quoted text, and you don't want to confuse one thing
      with another;
      second: you don't wish to deal with the default styles which browsers
      apply to <blockquote> (and which are not always the same, so they are
      difficult to turn off effectively).

      So, the best bet would be to use a <div> and style it exactly the way
      you want.

      (In a similar way, <span></span> is a generic inline element.)

      Oh... and empty <div> elements, just as any other kinds of empty
      elements, usually do nothing and can be taken out with no problem.
      HTMLTidy, which can be invoked from Notetab (and, I believe, from
      Dreamweaver), does a fine job of that.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      ... Always glad to share my ignorance - I've got plenty.
      * TagZilla 0.057
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 13, 2005
        Ok...
        Since I always use CSS, this is simply something to use other than <P
        class=xxx">, which would also not add the paragraph spacing after..

        Thanks for the clarification and links, all! :)
        Christine
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 13, 2005
          On 13/1/2005 23:43, Christine invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >Ok...
          >Since I always use CSS, this is simply something to use other than <P
          >class=xxx">, which would also not add the paragraph spacing after..

          Not quite.
          First, you will probably need to use classes and IDs anyway with <div>
          and <span>. But it may be far more economical, not to mention easier to
          debug, say, to do this:

          div.yellowtext p {color:yellow}
          .
          .
          .

          instead of this:

          p.yellowtext {color:yellow}
          .
          .
          .

          With the advantage that you can do additional block-leval formatting
          (say, giving this whole part of the page a different background color,
          and an overall border) by styling the div.yellowtext selector.

          Then, the paragraph elements (<p> and <h1>...<h6>) are somewhat special,
          in that although they are block elements, they cannot contain other
          block elements. So they are useful as "lowest level" block elements.

          Divs are more useful for multi-paragraph blocks of text, or to do layout
          stuff that in the past had to be done with tables.

          Anyway, you can easily get rid of the "paragraph spacing after" you
          mention by styling. For instance, I like styling long pieces of text
          (especially if they are intended for printing) in this way:

          p {text-align:justify;
          text-indent:3em;
          margin-bottom: 0.1em;}

          Marcelo
          -=-=-
          ... All in all just another brick in the wall.
          * TagZilla 0.057
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 13, 2005
            to be semantically correct, multiple paras of text within the <div>
            would still require <p> tags.

            --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

            > Ok...
            > Since I always use CSS, this is simply something to use other than <P
            > class=xxx">, which would also not add the paragraph spacing after..
            >
            > Thanks for the clarification and links, all! :)
            > Christine

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Dart Chris
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
              Hi Christine,

              Dreamweaver has tools special to remove "CRUD" ! ! Your should look at the
              junk Microsoft programmes insert ! ! ! ! ! If Dreamweaver is not doing it
              right for you I suspect your setup is not correct - it should specifically
              remove empty and unnecessary tags, including the billions generated by
              Microsoft ! Your comment does not sound like the Dreamweaver I know!

              Look under the "Commands" menu for "Clean up HTML" and "Clean up Word".

              Point - you say "created in Dreamweaver" do I perhaps get the feeling you
              are not now working in Dreamweaver but see the <!-- DW6 --> tag in the
              header. Your "crud" could be from elsewhere but the Dreamweaver label
              remains.

              Chris

              _____

              I'm working in documents created in Dreamweaver -- what a bunch of CRUD that
              program inserts!!! -- and there are empty <div> tags all over the place.
              Among many, many other, empty tags.

              Those that contain data? The purpose of a <div> is to do what?

              Thanks,
              Christine

              CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
              http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe
              <http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe>

              <http://www.fookes.us/redir>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Mark McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                >Dreamweaver has tools special to remove "CRUD" !

                DW does the best job of GUI driven website authoring tools on
                Windows based OS's, IMHO.

                FP, as befits an M$ product, sucks. No comparison.

                When I get a FP site to work on, I say, take the puppy outside,
                put it down, and start fresh.

                No need for that with DW sites.

                Just a comment ...

                Mark McLaughlin
                Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
                mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
                www.bestcolorvideo.com/ 1021 Ridgeway Place, Victoria BC.
                " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                  No, Chris,
                  I did not say I "created in Dreamweaver."
                  I said the pages "were created in Dreamweaver."
                  I code by hand because I'm total anal about excess crud and readability in
                  my source code.
                  The pages WERE created in Dreamweaver. As a matter of fact, I was told that
                  if I didn't have Dreamweaver, I would be unable to work with them, since
                  "that was the program they were created in." Uh-huh. The guy couldn't even
                  get the name of the company right...

                  I digress.
                  I don't use Microsoft products for the same reason.
                  I do the dirty work myself, even though it's probably totally unnecessary
                  with some of the newer programs out there. NoteTab and my clips do a great
                  job for me. Thank you very much! :)

                  As Mark put it, I am taking these puppies outside, putting them down and
                  starting fresh. It's just unnecessarily messy for a tiny yoga site. Life
                  doesn't need to be as complicated as Dreamweaver and this guy made it.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Hi Christine,

                    I think we get the point, but to nit-pick, here is the relevant bit from
                    your text - I see no "were".

                    what the heck the <div> tag is for?

                    I'm working in documents created in Dreamweaver -- what a bunch of CRUD that
                    program inserts!!! -- and there are empty <div> tags all over the place.
                    Among many, many other, empty tags.

                    Those that contain data? The purpose of a <div> is to do what?

                    Thanks,
                    Christine

                    I thought you might be viewing pages, made originally in DW, in something
                    else - which you can do with a DW page - even in FP if you are so inclined,
                    and still make sense of it. (It'll be full of crud when you take it out of
                    FP if you have made changes!)

                    Chris

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                      Nit pick away, as you are correct. But I sure didn't say I created them!
                      <LOL>

                      I realize I can view them in something else, as I'm doing in NoteTab. That
                      was my first clue that this fellow wasn't as on top of things as he could
                      make neophytes think he was.

                      My question certainly wasn't to debate the merits of coding programs, since
                      there's something for everyone out there.
                      I am always surprised, however, at ... the Crud ... these "professional"
                      programs add. With someone mentioning settings, it seems that's a user
                      thing. Is it, then, just lazy that this ... Crud ... isn't removed? Or are
                      the days passed when one worried about bandwidth, baud, clean pages, etc?
                      Perhaps, I guess.

                      Ah well. As usual, I have received the clarification I needed. Thanks guys!
                      Christine

                      I think we get the point, but to nit-pick, here is the relevant bit from
                      your text - I see no "were".

                      what the heck the <div> tag is for?

                      I'm working in documents created in Dreamweaver -- what a bunch of CRUD that
                      program inserts!!! -- and there are empty <div> tags all over the place.
                      Among many, many other, empty tags.

                      Those that contain data? The purpose of a <div> is to do what?

                      Thanks,
                      Christine

                      I thought you might be viewing pages, made originally in DW, in something
                      else - which you can do with a DW page - even in FP if you are so inclined,
                      and still make sense of it. (It'll be full of crud when you take it out of
                      FP if you have made changes!)

                      Chris
                    • Don - htmlfixit.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                        Dart Chris wrote:
                        > Hi Christine,
                        >
                        > I think we get the point, but to nit-pick, here is the relevant bit from
                        > your text - I see no "were".
                        >

                        > what the heck the <div> tag is for?
                        >
                        > I'm working in documents created in Dreamweaver -- what a bunch of CRUD that
                        > program inserts!!! -- and there are empty <div> tags all over the place.
                        > Among many, many other, empty tags.
                        >
                        > Those that contain data? The purpose of a <div> is to do what?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Christine
                        >
                        > I thought you might be viewing pages, made originally in DW, in something
                        > else - which you can do with a DW page - even in FP if you are so inclined,
                        > and still make sense of it. (It'll be full of crud when you take it out of
                        > FP if you have made changes!)
                        >
                        > Chris

                        Well the question is what is a div tag for. We have digressed a little :-)
                        Some of what you are seeing as junk is probably legitimate mark up
                        language. I have never used dreamweaver myself, but understand it is
                        typically one of the cleaner wysiwig editors. I have used (and survived
                        through) front page. It is horrible for the markup it adds to pages.
                        Earlier versions of it were especially bad as simply opening a page in
                        it added numerous tags. It bloats a page with repetitive tags.

                        So back on topic ...

                        The Div Tag is probably the second most significant "container" in web
                        page design. The body is the first containing tag to my way of
                        thinking. The reason to use divs is to create containers for major
                        sections of your page. Then into these containers you can put other
                        block or in-line elements.

                        Getting into cascading style sheets is a bit overwhelming at first.
                        Once you get the hang of it though, it is very liberating. If you look
                        at the skinable (or themed) sites on the web, you can by using these
                        containers move them about the page, change the look of them etc. It
                        truly frees and separates the content from the presentation.
                        Presentation is then controlled by a style sheet and the content is not
                        intermingled with the actually style rules, save for the id or class on
                        them.

                        A couple of really good examples of the use of divs to move things
                        around on a page and give it a different look (notice content is always
                        the same):
                        http://www.csszengarden.com/
                        http://www.alexking.org/index.php?content=software/wordpress/styles.php

                        I think of them like items in a home I guess.
                        body tag = the room
                        div tag = shelving units and major pieces of furniture
                        p tag = plastic containers on the shelf or items on the pieces of
                        furniture (like the stereo and tv and knick knacks and patty whacks)

                        I can then move the shelves where I want them, adjust the size of the
                        shelving units and paint them to my hearts content. I can do the same
                        with the plastic containers as well. Best of all I can do it on the fly
                        and change it without having to redo any of the actual page content as
                        the contents of the shelf go with it automatically when I move the shelf.

                        I hope that helps.
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                          I don't use DW - not needed because there is NoteTab! I frequent a
                          forum of cutting-edge designers. Many use DW but almost always in text
                          not WYSIWYG mode. DW may be the best out there but I hear it doesn't
                          always get it right. I have a freind who tried to open one of my
                          validated, tableless designs in DW and it couldn't handle it!
                          Hand-coding is always the best IMO.

                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                            When I was learning HTML (with the help of these lists, I might add), I had
                            this fabulous, smart, funny boss. He was 3 months older than I and had been
                            in computers since the early 80s ... in China. He said that I needed to
                            learn to code by hand first, so I could always decipher my work and find
                            errors. As always, he was correct. And with NoteTab, my clips are my own
                            coding, so I know that's correct, which cuts down on troubleshooting! He
                            was the best boss. He had the driest sense of humor I've ever experienced.
                            And had us try a Chinese delicacy called 100 year old eggs or something like
                            that. They were black and weird. I digress into Memory Lane.

                            So, as I said, I'm cleaning up DW and all the CRUD! <LOL>

                            C.
                          • Scott Fordin
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                              Christine wrote:
                              > And had us try a Chinese delicacy called 100 year old eggs or something like
                              > that. They were black and weird. I digress into Memory Lane.

                              I got to sample 100 year old eggs (I was introduced to them as
                              Ancestor Eggs) for the first time with a physics professor from
                              the University of Beijing. He was visiting a mutual friend here
                              in the States, and one afternoon/evening he prepared for us the
                              most amazing banquet -- some dozen courses -- that lasted almost
                              four hours. In any case, he told me that real Ancestor Eggs, are
                              quail eggs packed in rock lime and buried in a river bank for,
                              well, 100 years. The ones he had were only buried for about a
                              month, but the general idea is that the lime reacts with the
                              calcium in the egg shell and chemically cooks the egg. What you
                              end up with are like black hardboiled eggs, but they taste a lot
                              mellower than regular hardboiled eggs. Yummy, if visually a bit
                              disquieting.

                              Sorry for compounding the digression.

                              Scott
                            • Jeff Scism
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                                Scott Fordin wrote:

                                >Christine wrote:
                                >

                                >I got to sample 100 year old eggs (I was introduced to them as
                                >Ancestor Eggs) for the first time with a physics professor from
                                >the University of Beijing. He was visiting a mutual friend here
                                >in the States, and one afternoon/evening he prepared for us the
                                >most amazing banquet -- some dozen courses -- that lasted almost
                                >four hours. In any case, he told me that real Ancestor Eggs, are
                                >quail eggs packed in rock lime and buried in a river bank for,
                                >well, 100 years. The ones he had were only buried for about a
                                >month, but the general idea is that the lime reacts with the
                                >calcium in the egg shell and chemically cooks the egg. What you
                                >end up with are like black hardboiled eggs, but they taste a lot
                                >mellower than regular hardboiled eggs. Yummy, if visually a bit
                                >disquieting.
                                >
                                >Sorry for compounding the digression.
                                >
                                >Scott
                                >

                                >Sounds like Um Lat.

                                Jeff

                                --

                                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                ~~~~

                                Got a Blacksheep ancestor?
                                http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                              • LEE CRESSWELL
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                                  Scott + Chris,
                                  I saw the 100yr old egg remark and
                                  couldn't resist commenting... Apparently the quail
                                  eggs in actual fact release a peculiar vapour which
                                  has a quite unusual fragrance. This can happen at the
                                  most inconvenient of times (example:in coat pocket
                                  when going through subway turnstile) always someone
                                  elses coat.
                                  Regards,
                                  Lee.
                                • Christine
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                                    <snicker>
                                    Oh - I'm laughing about <div> tags, not digressing into images sulphurous
                                    stinks and dirty looks on the subway....
                                    C.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 14, 2005
                                      Christine wrote:

                                      > <snicker>
                                      > Oh - I'm laughing about <div> tags, not digressing into images sulphurous
                                      > stinks and dirty looks on the subway....

                                      Well, there's that Chinese aphorism: "Validating
                                      your crufty FrontPage code is like trying to sneak a
                                      sulphurous quail egg through a subway turnstile."

                                      And, of course, it's corollary: "FrontPage code on a
                                      website is like a stinky egg on a crowded subway car."

                                      Okay, I'll stop now. Hey, at least I *tried* to bring
                                      it back to HTML coding...

                                      Scott

                                      > C.

                                    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 15, 2005
                                        >Tables are seriously discouraged for anything that is NOT tabular data for a number of
                                        reasons -- theoretical ones being that they were not designed for that and that they don't
                                        "degrade" gracefully if the page is viewed in conditions very dissimilar to the ones in which
                                        the designer worked (for instance, they usually look very bad in small-screen browsers).<

                                        Yes, but if you do tables and make them percentage proportional, they fill any browser size,
                                        whereas all these DIV tags and absolutes mean that they scroll off a 640 by 480 and are to
                                        the left of anything higher than 800 by 600. Anyway, if it works, use it.

                                        Adrian Worsfold

                                        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                                      • sisterscape
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 15, 2005
                                          I have never done an absolutely positioned or proportional site using
                                          DIVs. FYI, DIVs can also build a fluid page using percentages and be
                                          cross-browser compatible too with a few tricks here and there!

                                          --- Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold <change@...> wrote:

                                          > >Tables are seriously discouraged for anything that is NOT tabular
                                          > data for a number of
                                          > reasons -- theoretical ones being that they were not designed for
                                          > that and that they don't
                                          > "degrade" gracefully if the page is viewed in conditions very
                                          > dissimilar to the ones in which
                                          > the designer worked (for instance, they usually look very bad in
                                          > small-screen browsers).<
                                          >
                                          > Yes, but if you do tables and make them percentage proportional, they
                                          > fill any browser size,
                                          > whereas all these DIV tags and absolutes mean that they scroll off a
                                          > 640 by 480 and are to
                                          > the left of anything higher than 800 by 600. Anyway, if it works, use
                                          > it.
                                          >
                                          > Adrian Worsfold
                                          >
                                          > http://www.pluralist.co.uk

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Julie Wolf
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 28, 2005
                                            Hi ,

                                            I need to learn the correct way to do a <a href= with a mailto that
                                            includes the ?subject=
                                            specifically in an environment where there is a data tag for [myemail] that
                                            , when in html
                                            makes this tag do its own complete <a href=mailto .... </a> from with in
                                            the data [tag].

                                            In other words, the [myemail] data tag (when used in an html message)
                                            closes with </a>
                                            and in the begining adds its own <a href and mailto . But I am used to
                                            using in it in text
                                            mailto with subject included, ... and I dont know how to do this in
                                            html.... with this [myemail] data tag.

                                            I hope this makes sense.

                                            Can you help?

                                            I forgot how to post, can you remind me?

                                          • Don - htmlfixit.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 28, 2005
                                              Julie Wolf wrote:
                                              > Hi ,
                                              >

                                              > I need to learn the correct way to do a <a href= with a mailto that
                                              > includes the ?subject=
                                              > specifically in an environment where there is a data tag for [myemail] that
                                              > , when in html
                                              > makes this tag do its own complete <a href=mailto .... </a> from with in
                                              > the data [tag].
                                              >
                                              > In other words, the [myemail] data tag (when used in an html message)
                                              > closes with </a>
                                              > and in the begining adds its own <a href and mailto . But I am used to
                                              > using in it in text
                                              > mailto with subject included, ... and I dont know how to do this in
                                              > html.... with this [myemail] data tag.
                                              >
                                              > I hope this makes sense.
                                              Not one bit of sense to me to be honest. Perhaps an example or two.

                                              Usually you use <a href='mailto:email@...?subject=Fred Jones
                                              Silly Hair'>Email me about Fred's Hair</a>
                                              But I have no idea what you mean by data tags for [myemail]. If this
                                              isn't the answer/helpful, try the question with an example or two.