[Fwd: [datelinelondon] FYI for folks using Yahoo Groups]

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2004
      Just an FYI for all of you using any Yahoo groups:

      For your information ...

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group
      users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going -
      similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you
      visit. Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

      About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a
      link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons. that wil
      bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

      In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link that
      will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

      Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted.

      Notice the "Success" message on the top of the next page. Be careful
      because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if
      clicked, will *undo** the opt-out.

    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2004
        On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:20:47 -0600, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

        > Just an FYI for all of you using any Yahoo groups:
        >
        > For your information ...
        >
        > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group
        > users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going -
        > similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you
        > visit. Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

        This is *not* something new or updated. Yahoo has been using web
        beacons for at least three years (and eGroups did tracking as well
        before selling out to Yahoo). But every so often someone who never
        knew about it finds out and then does a chicken little forwarding it
        to everyone they know. :) I see virtually the exact same thing with
        the same text posted about three or four times a year.

        Yahoo deserves a pat on the back for being open about their web
        beacons *and* for allowing people to opt out as well. Remember that
        virtually every site you visit, especially those for companies or
        commercial sites selling something will track your every move. Any
        site with advertising on it is also tracking your every move. This
        has been going on since cookies were invented.

        Amazon knows not just every book you've bought but also every book,
        kitchen gadget, lawn furniture, etc that you've even just looked at
        for two seconds. Ditto for any commercial site, it's how they do
        those "you might be interested in..." things. It's how they figure
        out what's popular and what sells and what doesn't and they tailor any
        changes in their products to that. Yahoo's no different, they want to
        know where you go and what you look at so they can tailor their
        products - the parts of their website - and get you looking at more
        ads and buying their premium services.

        For me, I'm not concerned about Yahoo or Amazon or eBay or whoever
        tracking me, I'm far more concerned about malicious websites
        attempting to install trojans and keystroke loggers on my computer (or
        anyone else's). I think it's much more important to use safe secure
        browsers, like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera and others and use safe secure
        email programs, like Mozilla's mail client or Thunderbird (also from
        Mozilla, standalone) or Opera's mail client or others. I'm much
        concerned about everyone having up to date antivirus programs on their
        computers, having firewall software installed and hardware firewall as
        well if possible.

        I'm much more concerned that even after Microsoft's much touted SP2
        security fix for XP, it still only takes about an hour for a Win XP
        SP2 computer to get hacked and then controlled and owned by spammers
        and those hacked home computers account for around 60-70% of the
        90,000 spams sent to my server every single day while legitimate mail
        is only around 10,000 per day or less.

        JMHO of course, YMMV. :) And believe me, I'm no Yahoo booster,
        generally I think Yahoo has done terrible things to groups and I'm
        gradually moving groups I own to GoogleGroups instead. But the web
        beacons is nothing unusual and Yahoo does a decent job with informing
        users and allowing the opt out so I give (grudging ;)) praise where
        praise is due.

        --
        alice ttlg

        Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever: