Re: [NH] LOCAL XHTML TESTING

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004

      We have one over at htmlfixit.com
      (http://htmlfixit.com/w3c-markup-validator/) and in some cases we
      customized the error messages in an effort to be more explanative. But
      either ours or the one at w3.org will do a local file. You may prefer
      to load it in a text directory on-line however. It isn't all that tough
      to get things so they look good accross the board and validate as strict
      xhtml ... you are way to serious about this, loosen up and have some fun
      there my friend. :-)
    • ontrack100@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
        Hi Charlie,

        Here are the available DOCTYPES. put on eof these at hte very top of your HTML code pages:

        HTML 4.01 Strict, Transitional, Frameset

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

        <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

        XHTML 1.0 Strict, Transitional, Frameset

        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

        XHTML 1.1 DTD

        I store these in a NoteTab snippet and insert as needed.

        A great developer's site that these were pulled from
        is: A LIST APART
        http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=DOCTYPES&sp-a=sp1002d27b&sp-f=ISO-8859-1&sp-p=All&sp-k=All

        - these are top notch pros who know their stuff!

        Hope this helps you and ohters out here.

        Regards,

        Rob Henrichon
        Ontrack Interactive Media Design
        129 Spruce St.
        Rutland, VT. 05071

        Voice: 802-773-8874
        Mobile: 802-236-2038
        email: ontrack100@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
          weigheyeman wrote:
          ><snip>
          >2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
          >browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
          >treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode.

          Not sure if we mean the same thing with "quirks mode"? Browser will treat
          XHTML as HTML, i.e. use their HTML parser, if the document is served as
          text/html. Locally the same thing happens if you use the html extension. An
          .xhtml extension makes them use their XML parser.

          The browser can treat the document as HTML and still use Standards Mode
          (AKA Strict Mode) as the rendering mode. How the doctype is written is used
          as a trigger for Standards or Quirks Mode, but it has nothing to do with
          Strict or Transitional (X)HTML.
          <http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html>

          >For that reason I intend
          >to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
          >out validation and final testing.

          I can understand that approach.

          >That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
          >testing and validating my XHTML code locally?

          Do you mean locally as in not connected to the Internet?
          I know only two options if you don't want to install one of the online
          validators on your own machine (which isn't all that easy, I'm told).

          ARV - the offline version of WDG's excellent validator and well worth its
          modest price.
          <http://arealvalidator.com/>

          Igor Podlubny's cool freeware for Notetab.
          <http://www.tuke.sk/podlubny/ov.html>

          Otherwise, just upload to one of the online validators. The w3c one has
          already been mentioned. WDG's is here:
          <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>

          >I am not very clear how
          >browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
          >at code.

          Browsers don't understand doctypes. They just use them for their "doctype
          switching", as this rendering mode thing is called. Validators understand
          them very well a check a document's syntax against the corresponding
          doctype definition, DTD. Tidy and other lints typically didn't use to care
          about doctypes either, but that can have changed for all I know. Either
          way, they don't validate the document against a DTD.

          >How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
          >1.0 strict and not HTML?

          To sum up, browsers only care about HTML or XHTML (they don't know Strict
          and Transitional). The trigger is the content-type from a server and the
          extension locally.
          Validators use the DTD you refer to in the doctype.
          Lints do what lints do, whatever that is. ;-)

          Lotta
        • Grant Mackenzie
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
            >Hi,
            >I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
            >Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
            >and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
            >strategy for developing web pages:
            >
            >1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
            >DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
            >be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
            >this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
            >code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
            >intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
            >that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.
            >
            >2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
            >browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
            >treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode.

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> //this will trigger quirks, get rid
            of it
            Only if you put the xml proccessing instruction on top of the Doc..
            otherwise quirks mode is not triggered.

            >For that reason I intend
            >to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
            >out validation and final testing.

            Why?
            Leave the DOCTYPE as xhtml strict.
            give it a html or htm extension and the server will serve it as text/html
            your browser is happy ... it loads and parses as an html doc
            however your doc is now bipolar..
            can be loaded into sgml parser( a browser ) and rendered like html..
            can be loaded into xml parser ( may be a xml parser in a browser, maybe not
            ... )

            >That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
            >testing and validating my XHTML code locally?

            The way i do it is to load it into a validating xml parser..
            msxml 4 does the trick..

            I've got a little notetab clip that
            replaces the Public Doctype to a local one
            ^!Set %dtSystem%=<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "^$GetAppPath$DTD\xhtml1-strict.dtd">

            it then calls a script from WSH

            ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$validateByDTD.js"
            ^!Set %arg%=^$GetDocName()$
            ^!Set %arg%=^$StrReplace("\";"\\";"^%arg%";0;0)$
            ^!Set %out%=^$StrTrim(^$GetInputOutput(cscript "^%file%" "^%arg%"
            //NoLogo )$)$

            the ^%file% contains the following..small jscript

            var stdout = WScript.StdOut;
            var x
            var file = WScript.Arguments.Unnamed(0)
            stdout.WriteLine(file)
            //instantiate latest msxml parser
            x = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");
            x.async = false;
            x.validateOnParse = true;
            x.resolveExternals = true;
            if(!x.load(file))
            {
            var err = x.parseError
            if(err.errorCode != 0)
            {
            stdout.WriteLine(err.reason);
            stdout.WriteLine('line:#: ' + err.line + ' ');
            stdout.WriteLine('linepos: ' + err.linepos);
            }
            }
            else
            {
            stdout.WriteLine("Valid against strict DTD " + x.parsed)
            }

            I replace the doctype back ..
            and go to position curser at line error if there is one...

            ^!Set %errLinePos%=^$StrTrim(^$StrCopy(^%out%;^$Calc(^%idx%+7)$;6)$)$
            ^!Info ^%out%
            ^!IfTrue ^%Public% ^!Replace "^%dtSystem%" >> "^%dtPublic%" CIWHS
            ^!SetCursor ^%errLinePos%:1
            ^!GOTO END

            Viola its done ...
            file is validated against the DTD and this is done locally

            >I am not very clear how
            >browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
            >at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
            >1.0 strict and not HTML?
            >
            >Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any suggestions?
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Charlie

            CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
            http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • weigheyeman
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
              Hi again,
              Thanks to everyone who replied.
              I thought I had done a lot of reading on the subject but you've given
              me lots to think about. I definitely understand the DOCTYPE and
              rendering thing a lot better now.
              Regards,

              Charlie