LOCAL XHTML TESTING

  • weigheyeman
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
      Hi,
      I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
      Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
      and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
      strategy for developing web pages:

      1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
      DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
      be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
      this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
      code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
      intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
      that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.

      2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
      browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
      treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode. For that reason I intend
      to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
      out validation and final testing.

      That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
      testing and validating my XHTML code locally? I am not very clear how
      browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
      at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
      1.0 strict and not HTML?

      Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Charlie
    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
        Charlie,

        You can use the validators at:
        http://validator.w3.org/

        They have one there of online pages as well as locally. It will read the
        DOCTYPE in your page and validate it accordingly.

        Lee

        At 12/12/04 07:59 AM, weigheyeman wrote:

        >Hi,
        >I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
        >Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
        >and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
        >strategy for developing web pages:
        >
        >1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
        >DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
        >be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
        >this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
        >code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
        >intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
        >that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.
        >
        >2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
        >browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
        >treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode. For that reason I intend
        >to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
        >out validation and final testing.
        >
        >That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
        >testing and validating my XHTML code locally? I am not very clear how
        >browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
        >at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
        >1.0 strict and not HTML?
        >
        >Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any suggestions?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Charlie
        >

        >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
        >http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
          Some of the best discussions and tips ever on these issues can be found
          at http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1 My advice is
          that you code your site in the DOCTYPE you will be using. Switching at
          the last minute has been known to create problems. Quirks mode is
          triggered accidentally in xhtml by using the xml prologue or in fact by
          having any content above the DOCTYPE. Why not use xhtml 1.0
          transitional rather than HTML 4.01. And BTW, W3C validation and cross
          browser compatibility are two different things. Code can validate
          perfectly and bomb in some browsers.

          This thread is especially helpful
          http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171943

          --- weigheyeman <gft89@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
          > Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
          > and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
          > strategy for developing web pages:
          >
          > 1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
          > DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
          > be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
          > this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
          > code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
          > intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
          > that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.
          >
          > 2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
          > browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
          > treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode. For that reason I intend
          > to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
          > out validation and final testing.
          >
          > That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
          > testing and validating my XHTML code locally? I am not very clear how
          >
          > browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
          > at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
          > 1.0 strict and not HTML?
          >
          > Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Charlie

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004

            We have one over at htmlfixit.com
            (http://htmlfixit.com/w3c-markup-validator/) and in some cases we
            customized the error messages in an effort to be more explanative. But
            either ours or the one at w3.org will do a local file. You may prefer
            to load it in a text directory on-line however. It isn't all that tough
            to get things so they look good accross the board and validate as strict
            xhtml ... you are way to serious about this, loosen up and have some fun
            there my friend. :-)
          • ontrack100@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
              Hi Charlie,

              Here are the available DOCTYPES. put on eof these at hte very top of your HTML code pages:

              HTML 4.01 Strict, Transitional, Frameset

              "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

              <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
              "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

              XHTML 1.0 Strict, Transitional, Frameset

              <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
              "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

              XHTML 1.1 DTD

              I store these in a NoteTab snippet and insert as needed.

              A great developer's site that these were pulled from
              is: A LIST APART
              http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=DOCTYPES&sp-a=sp1002d27b&sp-f=ISO-8859-1&sp-p=All&sp-k=All

              - these are top notch pros who know their stuff!

              Hope this helps you and ohters out here.

              Regards,

              Rob Henrichon
              Ontrack Interactive Media Design
              129 Spruce St.
              Rutland, VT. 05071

              Voice: 802-773-8874
              Mobile: 802-236-2038
              email: ontrack100@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
                weigheyeman wrote:
                ><snip>
                >2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
                >browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
                >treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode.

                Not sure if we mean the same thing with "quirks mode"? Browser will treat
                XHTML as HTML, i.e. use their HTML parser, if the document is served as
                text/html. Locally the same thing happens if you use the html extension. An
                .xhtml extension makes them use their XML parser.

                The browser can treat the document as HTML and still use Standards Mode
                (AKA Strict Mode) as the rendering mode. How the doctype is written is used
                as a trigger for Standards or Quirks Mode, but it has nothing to do with
                Strict or Transitional (X)HTML.
                <http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html>

                >For that reason I intend
                >to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
                >out validation and final testing.

                I can understand that approach.

                >That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
                >testing and validating my XHTML code locally?

                Do you mean locally as in not connected to the Internet?
                I know only two options if you don't want to install one of the online
                validators on your own machine (which isn't all that easy, I'm told).

                ARV - the offline version of WDG's excellent validator and well worth its
                modest price.
                <http://arealvalidator.com/>

                Igor Podlubny's cool freeware for Notetab.
                <http://www.tuke.sk/podlubny/ov.html>

                Otherwise, just upload to one of the online validators. The w3c one has
                already been mentioned. WDG's is here:
                <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>

                >I am not very clear how
                >browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
                >at code.

                Browsers don't understand doctypes. They just use them for their "doctype
                switching", as this rendering mode thing is called. Validators understand
                them very well a check a document's syntax against the corresponding
                doctype definition, DTD. Tidy and other lints typically didn't use to care
                about doctypes either, but that can have changed for all I know. Either
                way, they don't validate the document against a DTD.

                >How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
                >1.0 strict and not HTML?

                To sum up, browsers only care about HTML or XHTML (they don't know Strict
                and Transitional). The trigger is the content-type from a server and the
                extension locally.
                Validators use the DTD you refer to in the doctype.
                Lints do what lints do, whatever that is. ;-)

                Lotta
              • Grant Mackenzie
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
                  >Hi,
                  >I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
                  >Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
                  >and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
                  >strategy for developing web pages:
                  >
                  >1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
                  >DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
                  >be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
                  >this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
                  >code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
                  >intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
                  >that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.
                  >
                  >2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
                  >browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
                  >treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode.

                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> //this will trigger quirks, get rid
                  of it
                  Only if you put the xml proccessing instruction on top of the Doc..
                  otherwise quirks mode is not triggered.

                  >For that reason I intend
                  >to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
                  >out validation and final testing.

                  Why?
                  Leave the DOCTYPE as xhtml strict.
                  give it a html or htm extension and the server will serve it as text/html
                  your browser is happy ... it loads and parses as an html doc
                  however your doc is now bipolar..
                  can be loaded into sgml parser( a browser ) and rendered like html..
                  can be loaded into xml parser ( may be a xml parser in a browser, maybe not
                  ... )

                  >That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
                  >testing and validating my XHTML code locally?

                  The way i do it is to load it into a validating xml parser..
                  msxml 4 does the trick..

                  I've got a little notetab clip that
                  replaces the Public Doctype to a local one
                  ^!Set %dtSystem%=<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "^$GetAppPath$DTD\xhtml1-strict.dtd">

                  it then calls a script from WSH

                  ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$validateByDTD.js"
                  ^!Set %arg%=^$GetDocName()$
                  ^!Set %arg%=^$StrReplace("\";"\\";"^%arg%";0;0)$
                  ^!Set %out%=^$StrTrim(^$GetInputOutput(cscript "^%file%" "^%arg%"
                  //NoLogo )$)$

                  the ^%file% contains the following..small jscript

                  var stdout = WScript.StdOut;
                  var x
                  var file = WScript.Arguments.Unnamed(0)
                  stdout.WriteLine(file)
                  //instantiate latest msxml parser
                  x = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");
                  x.async = false;
                  x.validateOnParse = true;
                  x.resolveExternals = true;
                  if(!x.load(file))
                  {
                  var err = x.parseError
                  if(err.errorCode != 0)
                  {
                  stdout.WriteLine(err.reason);
                  stdout.WriteLine('line:#: ' + err.line + ' ');
                  stdout.WriteLine('linepos: ' + err.linepos);
                  }
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  stdout.WriteLine("Valid against strict DTD " + x.parsed)
                  }

                  I replace the doctype back ..
                  and go to position curser at line error if there is one...

                  ^!Set %errLinePos%=^$StrTrim(^$StrCopy(^%out%;^$Calc(^%idx%+7)$;6)$)$
                  ^!Info ^%out%
                  ^!IfTrue ^%Public% ^!Replace "^%dtSystem%" >> "^%dtPublic%" CIWHS
                  ^!SetCursor ^%errLinePos%:1
                  ^!GOTO END

                  Viola its done ...
                  file is validated against the DTD and this is done locally

                  >I am not very clear how
                  >browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
                  >at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
                  >1.0 strict and not HTML?
                  >
                  >Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any suggestions?
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >
                  >Charlie

                  CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                • weigheyeman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
                    Hi again,
                    Thanks to everyone who replied.
                    I thought I had done a lot of reading on the subject but you've given
                    me lots to think about. I definitely understand the DOCTYPE and
                    rendering thing a lot better now.
                    Regards,

                    Charlie