Re: [NH] Form

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 22 , May 25 12:28 AM
      Hi All,

      Jody wrote:

      >Is there an online dictionary like Web-O-Mania for HTML terms?
      >As far as I am concerned an "element" is what one puts his pot of
      >grits on and turns on the stove to cook them. ;)

      I think you would find WDG's 'HTML 4.0 Reference useful. Definitions of
      terms like 'Element' is found under 'Structure of a HTML 4.0 Document'.

      The whole thing can be down loaded in .chm. It's very comprehensive yet
      easy to use.

      Glad you are beginning to see the light regarding Blockquotes ;)

      Bye,

      Message 2 of 22 , May 25 12:48 AM
        Hi Lotta,

        > I think you would find WDG's 'HTML 4.0 Reference useful.
        > Definitions of terms like 'Element' is found under 'Structure
        > of a HTML 4.0 Document'.

        Thanks - I'll hunt for it.

        > Glad you are beginning to see the light regarding Blockquotes ;)

        There is really no light to see except that when it don't make
        sense you can bet there is a buck in it.

        The way I see it is HTML use to be very easy so the average Joe
        could come along and learn it. They are trying to make it into a
        real language that is to difficult or time consuming to learn so
        people will have to pay people to do it. That is my take on it
        anyway.

        So far, I cannot see any advantage in speed of me making a style
        sheet so I can block quote over just clicking on my clip a few
        times and be done with it. I am sure .css is better else it
        would not be so popular, but then programmers knock NoteTab's
        scripting code the way it is written all the time. However, I
        would probably have never learned it had it looked like PERL or
        RegExp.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 22 , May 25 1:05 AM
          Jody,

          >thanks - I'll hunt for it.

          OOops.

          HTML Help by The Web Design Group:
          http://www.htmlhelp.com/

          >So far, I cannot see any advantage in speed of me making a style
          >sheet so I can block quote over just clicking on my clip a few
          >times and be done with it. I am sure .css is better else it
          >would not be so popular, but then programmers knock NoteTab's

          The thing is HTML was never constructed for presentation. So people jammed
          things into structural or formatting tags, like Blockquote. CSS will take
          care of the presentational stuff.

          But when it comes to wanting all to be able to access your page, which I
          guess is the case since you're concerned about Opera, one has to be careful
          with CSS too. My Netscpe 4.5 don't understand much of it. Don't know for
          the new version. IE is better and Opera is said to be a wiz.

          Here's to the Golden Middle Way!

          Message 4 of 22 , May 25 1:31 AM
            Hi Lotta,

            > HTML Help by The Web Design Group:
            > http://www.htmlhelp.com/

            Already got it and one on css, but could not find a .chm which I
            prefer over .hlp or .html.

            > But when it comes to wanting all to be able to access your
            > page, which I guess is the case since you're concerned about
            > Opera, one has to be careful with CSS too. My Netscpe 4.5 don't
            > understand much of it. Don't know for the new version. IE is
            > better and Opera is said to be a wiz.

            <Jody on soap box>
            So, we're back to a browser thing. It all just does not make any
            sense to me that all those knuckle heads running the show can't
            get their rear ends out of their heads and get their act
            together. I would like to see a ball park figure in perhaps
            decades of how many hours web authors both the serious and ones
            like me that just dabble with it have spent (or needlessly
            wasted) trying to make it so their site can be viewed by
            visitors. Gee, do we have to go back to the Best viewed in IE
            buttons or Optimized for Netscape? It is a crying shame that all
            the hours spent by us should have been solved years ago, but as
            far as I can tell it hasn't got much better. I understand that
            OS' play a part too. They too need to start working with each
            other. All those knuckle heads need to get together and say
            OK, this is how were going to do it and DO IT!
            </Jody on soap box>

            Next thing you know, the tag above will be obsolete. Either
            Eudora, PMail, Messenger, or whichever won't view it correctly.
            ARGH! ;)

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 22 , May 25 2:15 AM
              Hi,

              > > http://www.htmlhelp.com/
              >
              >Already got it and one on css, but could not find a .chm which I
              >prefer over .hlp or .html.

              For HTML 4.0 there is a .chm for CSS there isn't. Both are offered in other
              formats too, should anyone prefer something else.

              > >one has to be careful with CSS too.
              > >My Netscpe 4.5 don't
              > > understand much of it. Don't know for the new version. IE is
              > > better and Opera is said to be a wiz.
              >
              ><Jody on soap box>
              >So, we're back to a browser thing. It all just does not make any
              >sense to me that all those knuckle heads running the show can't
              >get their rear ends out of their heads and get their act
              >together.

              That's true. But on the other hand one can't expect a software written
              several years ago to understand W3C latest decrees. But for basic CSS they
              have had some time, I think.

              Not being an expert, I humbly think that basic HTML with careful use of CSS
              is probably the best way to go if one wants the page to be 'accessible to
              all'. And I think that most pages should be that.

              On the other hand, if one wants to play around - use whatever. If I want a
              site for me and my friends I don't care if the rest of the world can view
              it. One can always put a warning on the index to scare off any stray
              surfers ;).

              On Browsers - IE is evil in it's special way as it allows for vary bad
              coding and kindly display the page correctly anyway. This result in that
              it's very tricky to learn HTML using IE. "If it looks right I must have
              done it right". Two month later one adds something to this perfect site and
              everything collapses. "Why? I KNOW I had done every thing right." Great
              mystery!

              Opera - here I come!

              Message 6 of 22 , May 25 3:08 AM
                Hi Lotta,

                >> > http://www.htmlhelp.com/

                >For HTML 4.0 there is a .chm

                Where? :)

                I'll answer the rest of your post later. Doing ClipClass now.

                Message 7 of 22 , May 25 5:58 AM
                  Hi,

                  I'm lying my head off!

                  I went to WDG to check were they had hidden it and then it hit me. The .chm
                  that I've got is included in my validator. When I got the validator I took
                  the Reference out and put it were I have had the old .hlp. I had forgotten
                  it had ever looked different.

                  My excuses
                  Lotta
                • Lotta

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 25 6:22 AM
                      Hi Lotta,

                      > I went to WDG to check were they had hidden it and then it hit
                      > me. The .chm that I've got is included in my validator. When I
                      > got the validator I took the Reference out and put it were I
                      > have had the old .hlp. I had forgotten it had ever looked
                      > different.

                      No problem. I just found out there is one in my Top Style. <bg>

                      OK, I did my first one. ;)

                      But I obviously have to be missing a very big point here. Below
                      is good for one font tag. Now, I want to use about say 10 different
                      colors in my page. Using the old method which CSEVal... says is
                      getting replaced by .css I would wrap the text in it. In other
                      words show me how I make red white and blue font colors to use in
                      three places.

                      FONT
                      {
                      font-family : times;
                      font-style : normal;
                      color: blue;
                      }

                      Also, <CENTER> is to be replaced. I already have P equaling
                      "justify." How do I center text now without using H1, etc.

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                    • elssner@gmx.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 25 12:23 PM
                        Hi Jody,

                        > OK, after studying it a bit and seeing how it worked I said to
                        > myself, "Self, you know, this doesn't appear to be as hard as it
                        > looks. Maybe an ignernt hillbilly like you can learn himself
                        > it." ;)
                        >
                        > From what I can see is in the definition area (?) that the tags
                        > are defined there and wherever used in the document body it will

                        Yes to all. ;-)

                        There is a really good and somewhat easy to understand introduction to
                        CSS in part three of our all father-and-mother-of-Tidy Dave Ragget's
                        HTML tutorial. There is a link to it somewhere on the Tidy home page,
                        as far as I remember.

                        Happy CSSin' ! *g*

                        Stefan
                        ---
                        elssner@...
                      • William K. Hardeman
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 26 11:32 AM
                          Jody,

                          You define different font classes to get the different colors. For example, the FONT definition you
                          gave might be for your default page font, while the others might be

                          FONT.RED
                          {
                          font-family : times;
                          font-style : normal;
                          color: red;
                          }

                          FONT.WHITE
                          {
                          font-family : times;
                          font-style : normal;
                          color: white;
                          }

                          FONT.ETC...

                          Then, in your <font> tags, you would change the color by using the class definition via <font
                          class=RED> to use any color other than the default one. Or, if you prefer to create classes that
                          are not tied to a tag, just do the same as above, but don't use the FONT, just the .WHATEVER
                          (dot WHATEVER). Then, you can refer to those classes in areas outside of FONT tags, doing
                          away with them all together.

                          Hope this helps,
                          Will

                          On 25 May 00, at 8:22, Jody said:

                          > Hi Lotta,

                          <snip>

                          > But I obviously have to be missing a very big point here. Below
                          > is good for one font tag. Now, I want to use about say 10 different
                          > colors in my page. Using the old method which CSEVal... says is
                          > getting replaced by .css I would wrap the text in it. In other
                          > words show me how I make red white and blue font colors to use in
                          > three places.
                          >
                          > FONT
                          > {
                          > font-family : times;
                          > font-style : normal;
                          > color: blue;
                          > }

                          <snip>

                          Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant
                          intelligence. (Henrik Tikkanen)

                          The closest distance between two people is a good laugh. - Leo Bascalia
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 29 3:53 PM
                            Hi Grant,

                            > Some notes on Take 48
                            >
                            > in UL can only contain a LI element but if you want to nest
                            > unordered lists LI can contain UL

                            <UL>
                            <LI>
                            <UL>
                            test
                            </UL>
                            </LI>
                            </UL>

                            Thanks - don't know what I would use it for, but it may come
                            in handy sometime.

                            > A plug..You might want to try my xhtml library
                            > www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip

                            I couldn't find the Clip(s) to check the tags, etc. Nice Libraries
                            though and I see you added your Clipbar. ;)

                            A suggestion to add to certain Clips. ^!SetScreenUpdate Off makes
                            a number of them faster and much easier on the eyes. ;) Check out the difference in your select tag Clip in xhtml.

                            -selectTag
                            ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

                            Bye for now,
                            Jody Adair
                            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                          • Grant
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 30 12:52 AM
                              > I couldn't find the Clip(s) to check the tags, etc.

                              Try selecting any text with tags then attempt to wrap with a provided clip
                              element.
                              Try a few badly formed wraps.
                              eg; In trying to wrap </ul> without the opening <ul> an infobox will report
                              "You are trying to wrap a closing tag. Where is the opening tag?"
                              eg; try to wrap Ul element with another Ul element and an infobox will
                              report
                              "You cannot wrap Element <ul> with <ul>
                              valid Tags for <ul> are li".

                              This does prevent all cases of syntactically bad wrapping but I think does a
                              reasonble job to prevent some common markup typos.

                              Nice Libraries
                              > though and I see you added your Clipbar. ;)
                              Ok so I cheated a bit and appropiated the existing icons to suit my own
                              purposes. If I've got the time I'll create my own icons. Know of a good icon
                              editor?

                              > A suggestion to add to certain Clips. ^!SetScreenUpdate Off makes
                              > a number of them faster and much easier on the eyes. ;) Check out the
                              difference in your select tag Clip in xhtml.

                              Good idea and I'll see where else I can apply this.

                              I have now added a new "element_can_contain" button , when cursor placed on
                              an existing tag and pressed will present in an info box a list of acceptable
                              tags that can follow. This should help those learning xhtml.
                              Library can be downloaded at.
                              www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 30 3:34 AM
                                Hi Grant,

                                > Try selecting any text with tags then attempt to wrap with a
                                > provided clip element. Try a few badly formed wraps.

                                OK, will do.

                                > Ok so I cheated a bit and appropiated the existing icons to
                                > suit my own purposes. If I've got the time I'll create my own
                                > icons. Know of a good icon editor?

                                I normally use PSP for my .bmp's for NoteTab. If you use .ico
                                NoteTab has to convert them. I have a mess of different image
                                software, PSP the only shareware. From my NoteView Clipbar:

                                Requires NoteTab v4.81 or above

                                H="NoteView"
                                http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/noteview/zip

                                H="Get BKColour Coder"
                                ^!Url ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/winsite/winnt/netutil/coder20.exe

                                H="Get Embellish"
                                ^!Url http://www.dadaware.com

                                H="Get IconEdit32"
                                ^!Url ftp://zdftp.zdnet.com/pub/private/sWlIB/graphics_multimedia_tools/icon_tools/pcmicone.zip

                                H="Get IconJack32"
                                ^!Url ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/pcmag/2000/0509/ijack32.zip

                                H="Get IconMaker"
                                ^!Url ftp://ftp.euro.net/d5/simtelnet/win95/icon/imak05.zip

                                H="Get I_View"
                                ^!Url http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/

                                H="Get LView Pro"
                                ^!Url ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_win/graphics/lviewp1b.zip

                                H="Get Psp"
                                ^!Url http://www.psp.com

                                H=LView Pro Image Editor
                                ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_win/graphics/lviewp1b.zip

                                H=Icon Maker
                                ftp://ftp.euro.net/d5/simtelnet/win95/icon/imak05.zip

                                > www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip

                                If I do xhtml can I turn right around and use NoteTab's Tags to
                                uppercase? Why do you use xhtml over regular html and, in short,
                                what is the difference as far as a weekend page builder would use
                                them for?

                                Also, I can mess around with Tidy.cfg a bit and figured out how
                                to adjust indent or none at all, but how do I make it not do
                                anything to my existing format?

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 31 3:41 AM
                                  Hi Jody
                                  Thanks for the list of URLs

                                  > If I do xhtml can I turn right around and use NoteTab's Tags to
                                  > uppercase?

                                  Yes but it won't be xhtml because xhtml is case sensitive and the case of
                                  tags and thier attributes must all be in lower case.

                                  >Why do you use xhtml over regular html and, in short,
                                  > what is the difference as far as a weekend page builder would use
                                  > them for?

                                  For beginners ---
                                  Mark up with xhtml is easier to learn than html as as the xhtml markup rules
                                  are more consistent than html.
                                  all tags and attributes in lower case
                                  all tags must be closed. eg; <p>closed with </p>
                                  Attribute values must always be quoted.
                                  and so on ... refer to the following one page w3c doc
                                  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1

                                  Also xhtml ought to produce a cleaner and more easily readible and alterable
                                  markup.

                                  For advanced user.
                                  With xhtml you get the ease and familiarity of html with the power of xml.
                                  When you markup with xhtml what you get is "a reformulation of HTML 4 as an
                                  XML 1.0 application".
                                  If your xhtml document is well formed and valid then you can parse it as XML
                                  and use the DOM to manipulate it and CSS to style it. In an ms enviroment
                                  this means you can use the ms COM object. "microsoft.xmldom" and use the
                                  scriptable properties and methods available for that object. There are also
                                  various perl and java xml parsers you can use. It's early stages yet but it
                                  seems the futures is xml. I don't know who said it I think the quote is
                                  "Xhtml is the bridge between the past and future web"

                                  > Also, I can mess around with Tidy.cfg a bit and figured out how
                                  > to adjust indent or none at all, but how do I make it not do
                                  > anything to my existing format?

                                  set "markup" config declaration to "no".

                                  "markup: bool
                                  Determines whether Tidy generates a pretty printed version of the markup.
                                  Bool values are either yes or no. Note that Tidy won't generate a pretty
                                  printed version if it finds unknown tags, or missing trailing quotes on
                                  attribute values, or missing trailing '>' on tags. The default is yes. "

                                  The xhtml library has a wizard to help build a tidy config file. You can
                                  access the config file wizard by holding ctrl down while pressing the tidy
                                  button.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                    Hi Grant,

                                    Thanks for the info in the other posts.

                                    I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
                                    but Tidy still reports it. ???

                                    <!ATTLIST TABLE -- table element --
                                    <snip>
                                    bgcolor %Color; #IMPLIED -- background color for cells --
                                    bordercolorlight #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --
                                    bordercolordark #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --
                                    bordercolor #IMPLIED -- bordercolor for IE tables --

                                    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "E:\NoteTab Pro\loose.dtd">