Re: [NH] [NTB] Browsers.dat changes

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      Larry Hamilton wrote:
      > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
      >
      > Using a simple clip:
      >
      > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
      >
      > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
      >
      > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
      > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
      > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
      > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
      > browser.
      >
      > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
      > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
      > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
      > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding
      the URL.

      > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
      > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
      >
      > -browser
      > -safe-mode
      > -profile /profilename
      >
      > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
      > knows, please let us know.
      >
      > Larry Hamilton

      Larry,

      I have a list of Netscape command-line parameters, most, if not all, are
      compatible with Mozilla and I think most are, or will be, compatible
      with FireFox.

      I'll include these below.

      COMMUNICATOR'S COMMAND LINE OPTIONS

      On Windows platforms you can use command line configuration options to
      control how Communicator opens, which components open initially, and
      what the components do when they open. There are also command line
      options that apply to Communicator on the Unix platform.

      Also see the Parameter Definitions and Syntax Rules that follow the
      Windows and Unix command line options.

      Windows 3.1x, 95, NT

      Options Syntax

      Create a dummy profile and launch the Account Setup application (through
      which the user will create a real account). Applies to version 4.02 or
      later.
      -new_account

      Run Navigator (3.x) or Communicator (4.x) using a particular
      initialization file.
      -i [path to initialization file]

      Open Navigator in "kiosk" mode (without menus or buttons). Applies to
      versions 3.x, or 4.02 or later.
      -k

      Open Navigator in "super-kiosk" mode (borderless, full-screen display
      that can be further customized with JavaScript). Applies to version 4.02
      or later.
      -sk

      Load Java at start-up, while splash screen is displayed. Helpful when
      running enterprise and kiosk applications. Applies to version 4.02 or later.
      -start_java

      Before Communicator opens, ask the user to fill out a new profile.
      -new_profile

      Before Communicator opens, display the Profile Manager so the user can
      choose the correct identity.
      -profile_manager

      Run Communicator using a particular user profile.
      -P (uppercase "P" is required) ["user's profile name"] e.g.,
      -P"profilename"

      Open Navigator regardless of any conflicting preferences.
      -browser

      Open Navigator and display a local HTML document.
      [file_name]

      Open Navigator and use the HTML document at the named URL as a home page.
      -h [URL]

      Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
      -mail

      Open the Inbox in Messenger.
      -inbox

      Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
      server.
      -news

      Open the Message Center to see all folders.
      -folders

      Open the Address Book.
      -address

      Import an LDIF file into the Address Book. Note that entries that are
      exact duplicates are not added.
      -import [LDIF_file_name]

      Export the contents of the Address Book as an LDIF file. Only exporting
      occurs. Exported file automatically gets .ldif extension.
      -export [LDIF_file_name]

      Open Page Composer without specifying an HTML document.
      -edit

      Open Page Composer and load a particular HTML document.
      -edit [file_name]

      Open new Message Composition window.
      -compose

      Open new Message Composition window with attachments.
      -compose [@attachments] | [-attachment]

      Open new Message Composition window, automatically inserting message and
      attachments.
      -compose [message @attachments] | [message -attachment]

      Run Netcaster. Requires that Netcaster is already installed.
      -netcaster

      Windows 3.1 Differences

      Command lines begin with drive:\netscape\navstart rather than the path
      to netscape.exe.

      Command options (arguments) for navstart.exe have to begin with a fully
      qualified path to netscape.exe.

      For example, to run Netscape Messenger the command line could be
      C:\programs\netscape\navstart.exe "c:\programs\netscape\netscape.exe" -mail.

      You can have additional options on the same command line following the
      guidelines described above.

      Unix

      Options Syntax

      Display a list of all the command line options, with a brief explanation
      of each.
      -help

      Open NetHelp at start-up.
      -nethelp [nethelp_URL]

      Bypass the license page that appears at start-up.
      -no-about-splash

      Show the version number and build date.
      -version

      Specify the X server to use.
      -display [dpy]

      Start up iconified.
      -iconic

      Force session management on. Session management is supported by default.
      -session-management

      Force session management off. Session management is supported by default.
      -no-session-management

      Force session management on. Session management is supported on Irix by
      default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
      settings, as with some SGI systems.
      -irix-session-management

      Force session management off. Session management is supported on Irix by
      default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
      settings, as with some SGI systems.
      -no-irix-session-management

      Ignore window geometry saved for session.
      -ignore-geometry-prefs

      Don't save the session's window geometry.
      -dont-save-geometry-prefs

      Use a specific server visual.
      -visual [id-or-number]

      Install a private color map.
      -install

      Use the default color map.
      -no-install

      Set the maximum number of colors to allocate for images (when not using
      -install).
      -ncols [N]

      Force 1-bit-deep image display.
      -mono

      Set a specific X resource.
      -xrm [resource-spec]

      Execute a command in an already running Netscape process.
      -remote [remote-command]

      Following a -remote command, cause the window to raise to the top.
      -raise

      Following a -remote command, do not cause the window to raise to the top.
      -noraise

      Ignore the alwaysraised, alwayslowered, and z-lock attributes of
      JavaScript window.open().
      -dont-force-window-stacking

      The ID of an X window to which -remote commands should be sent (if
      unspecified, the first window found is used).
      -id [window-id]

      Show only the Component Bar.
      -component-bar

      Position and size the Messenger and Collabra windows.
      -geometry =WxH+X+Y (the default is 620x950+630+40)

      Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
      -messenger

      Open Messenger (an alternate option that also displays the Inbox by
      default).
      -mail

      Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
      server.
      -discussions

      Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
      server (an alternate option that works the same as -discussions).
      -news

      Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL.
      -composer [URL]

      Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL (an
      alternate option that works the same as -composer).
      -edit [URL]

      Parameter Definitions

      Note that parameters other than switches are interpreted as files or
      URLs to be loaded.

      Parameter
      Definition path to initialization file

      The full path to the appropriate initialization file. The default name
      for this file is netscape.ini.

      "user's profile name" The individual user's name as it appears in the
      Profile Manager, bracketed by quotes. file_name

      The full path to the HTML document.
      URL

      The URL of the page to display.
      LDIF_file_name

      The full path to the LDIF file.
      message

      The name of a file containing a message, including its full path. The
      default search location is the Temp directory.
      attachments

      The name or names of the attachments or attachment lists, including the
      full path for each. Lists are preceded with the @ symbol, individual
      attachments are preceded with a hyphen. Multiple names are delimited
      by a vertical bar ( | ), single names are preceded by a hyphen ( - ). The
      default search location is the Temp directory.
      nethelp_URL

      The URL of the NetHelp content, usually located in folders below
      \nethelp\netscape.
      dpy

      The name of the Unix X server to use, in the format machinename:0.
      id-or-number

      The specific server visual to use.

      The integer for the maximum number of colors to allocate for images.
      resource-spec

      The name of a specific X resource.
      remote-command

      The remote command to execute in an already-running Netscape
      process. For more information, see Remote Control of Unix Netscape.
      window-id

      The ID of an X window to receive -remote commands.

      Syntax Rules

      File names or paths with spaces have to be enclosed in quotes; for
      example, "My Documents". The commands and parameters aren't case
      sensitive (except for the "-P" option, which must be uppercase). The
      hyphen (-) delimits an action type. Blank spaces ( ) separate actions
      from parameters and parameters from each other. The "at" symbol (@)
      delimits the names of attachment file lists. The hyphen (-) delimits
      the names of single attachment files.

      For the latest technical information on Sun-Netscape Alliance products,
      go to: http://developer.iplanet.com

      For more Internet development resources, try Netscape TechSearch.

      Copyright © 1999 Netscape Communications Corporation.

      This site powered by: Netscape Enterprise Server and Netscape Compass
      Server.

      ºvº
      hrs <04-12-01> hsavage@...