Re: [NH] [NTB] Browsers.dat changes

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      I ran into the issues Alec mentions.

      I had to do the following with a clip that uses ^!URL [Firefox] .... in
      various clips:

      ^!IfAppOpen "* - Mozilla Firefox" SKIP_5
      ^!"G:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      ^!SetHintInfo ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss am/pm dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy)$
      ^!FocusApp "* - Mozilla Firefox"
      ;Modify the following: Replace My Links with the name of your browser
      start page.
      ^!IfDiff "^$GetAppTitle$" "My Links - Mozilla Firefox" Skip_-2
      ^!StatusClose

      ^!c:\php4\php.exe -f ^%File% > c:\php4\phptoss.htm

      ^!IFFILEEXIST "^%ErrorFile%" DISPLAYERROR
      ;// No errors to refocus on source code document
      ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
      ^!URL [Firefox] c:\php4\phptoss.htm

      I knew I was doing something to get it working right. I have also found
      that if Firefox is not open, I get two tabs, a blank one on the left and
      the one it is trying to open. I also get an unexpected web page when I
      try to open a file from NoteTab using F8, etc. I had the browsers.dat
      file open in NoteTab and hit F8 with Firefox closed and it opened a
      blank tab and the second tab opened at http://www.notetab.com/! Spooky!
      Talk about "phone home"! ;-) Firefox must be doing a search and finding
      relevant meta tags. I have gotten web pages that had nothing to do with
      the file I was trying to open. Usually, I have Firefox open, since I use
      it about as much as NoteTab. I like it being "lighter" than Mozilla. I
      also love its tabs. ;-)

      Here is the contents of my firefox section of browsers.dat at work:

      [Firefox]
      Command="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Firefox
      DdeCommand=
      DdeEdec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      Here is the contents of my firefox section of browsers.dat at home:

      I have a little note about the -browser switch. I have not tried it in
      the 1.0 final release. I do not recall if this was 0.9 or the
      pre-release of 1.0.

      [Firefox]
      Command="G:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      ;NOTE: -browser opens Firefox without toolbars and with window long and
      top off the screen.
      ;Have to right-click icon on taskbar and choose maximize, but it is not
      remembered.
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Firefox
      DdeCommand=
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      I was never clear what all these options did. I just put them all in as
      place holders. I have not tried commenting out the ones other than Command=.

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Webpage
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > ** moved to NTB-HTML **
      >
      > hsavage: >> I recall only 1 list responder that said they had
      >
      >>>FireFox working correctly ...
      >

      > With this browsers.dat definition of Firefox:
      > [Firefox]
      > Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      >
      > ie. *just the one line* and no DDE stuff and no "-browser" paramater
      >
      > and using:
      > FFox 1.0 and
      > Tabbrowser Extensions with with it set to use:
      > - only tabs and never windows:
      > - and with:
      > -- External Links from Other Applications=Open in New Tab
      >
      > setting Notetab-2nd Browser to [Firefox] I see the following behavior:
      >
      > - if Firefox is *not* open I get a 404 with an invalid URL
      > eg: trying to open : C:\TEMP\nospaces.htm
      > opens two pages - an empty (Untitled) page with the Address bar blank *and*
      > a second page with the incorrect URL: http://temp/nospaces.htm
      >
      > - once Firefox *is* open and still displaying the erroneous URL, again
      > clicking 2nd-browser on the above file this time opens it (and any others)
      > correctly as:
      >
      > As an experiment, I closed Firefox, reopened it from its startup shortcut.
      > This opens correctly and displays my HomePage as it should. Again clicking
      > 2nd-browser on the above file it (and any others) open correctly as above.
      >
      > Hyptothesis: there is some bug in FFox 1.0 which makes it fail to load the
      > page externally requested if FFox is not already running.
      >
      > Workaround: Start FFox manually before attempting to open pages from Notetab
      > or *expect* the first failure and just redo the Open from Notetab.
      >
      > Question: Anyone else seeing similar behavior and/or able to open a page in
      > a "non-browsers" window from Notetab even if FFox 1.0 is *not* already
      > running?
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
        Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.

        Using a simple clip:

        ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/

        It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.

        If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
        is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
        Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
        the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
        browser.

        However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
        URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
        used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
        the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.

        I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
        I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:

        -browser
        -safe-mode
        -profile /profilename

        If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
        knows, please let us know.

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
      • Josh - CK
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
          -remote

          On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
          <lmh@...> wrote:

          > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
          >
          > Using a simple clip:
          >
          > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
          >
          > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
          >
          > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
          > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
          > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
          > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
          > browser.
          >
          > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
          > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
          > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
          > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
          >
          > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
          > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
          >
          > -browser
          > -safe-mode
          > -profile /profilename
          >
          > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
          > knows, please let us know.
          >

          > Larry Hamilton
          > lmh@...
          > My Webpage
          > http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
          > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          >

          > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

          Josh Simmons - CK
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
            Here is what I have found, and I did some testing of -remote.

            Discovered from email lists or search of Firefox help related sites:
            -browser
            -safe-mode
            -profile /profilename
            -console is used for debugging purposes, if no errors it closes the
            console and opens the browser.

            From Mozilla Command-Line page that work with Firefox (Some of these
            appear to "work", but it seems to only launch the browser):
            http://www.mozilla.org/docs/command-line-args.html

            "URL" i.e. firefox "www.mozilla.org"
            -h or -help This is supposed to list all the supported arguments, but
            does nothing.
            -turbo
            -quiet or -nosplash
            -p "profilename"
            -remote This is supported in Unix/Linux only. Just the -remote switch
            starts Firefox. Using -remote openURL(http://mozilla.org, new-tab) gets
            interesting results, it opens up the Japanese Tabbrowser extension page.
            Here is the page for the remote options:
            http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

            Googling for "firefox command-line-args" without the quotes got more
            helpful information than "firefox command line switch".

            The following link mentions that some Mozilla command line args may not
            work in Firefox.

            http://kb-upgrade.mozillazine.org/index.php/Command_Line_Arguments

            If there is a way to make these switches work on Windows, please let us
            know. This will be handy for working with my Linux partition (Was RedHat
            7.2, then upgraded to RedHat 8, then upgraded to Fedora Core 3. Going to
            FC3 has been a lot of extra work, it would have been easier to format
            and start from scratch.), maybe I can get my NoteTab clips pulling up
            the desired stuff in Firefox.

            Josh - CK wrote:
            > -remote
            >

            > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
            > <lmh@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
            >>
            >>Using a simple clip:
            >>
            >>^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
            >>
            >>It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
            >>
            >>If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
            >>is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
            >>Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
            >>the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
            >>browser.
            >>
            >>However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
            >>URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
            >>used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
            >>the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
            >>
            >>I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
            >>I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
            >>
            >>-browser
            >>-safe-mode
            >>-profile /profilename
            >>
            >>If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
            >>knows, please let us know.
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
              Larry Hamilton wrote:
              > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
              >
              > Using a simple clip:
              >
              > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
              >
              > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
              >
              > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
              > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
              > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
              > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
              > browser.
              >
              > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
              > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
              > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
              > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding
              the URL.

              > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
              > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
              >
              > -browser
              > -safe-mode
              > -profile /profilename
              >
              > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
              > knows, please let us know.
              >
              > Larry Hamilton

              Larry,

              I have a list of Netscape command-line parameters, most, if not all, are
              compatible with Mozilla and I think most are, or will be, compatible
              with FireFox.

              I'll include these below.

              COMMUNICATOR'S COMMAND LINE OPTIONS

              On Windows platforms you can use command line configuration options to
              control how Communicator opens, which components open initially, and
              what the components do when they open. There are also command line
              options that apply to Communicator on the Unix platform.

              Also see the Parameter Definitions and Syntax Rules that follow the
              Windows and Unix command line options.

              Windows 3.1x, 95, NT

              Options Syntax

              Create a dummy profile and launch the Account Setup application (through
              which the user will create a real account). Applies to version 4.02 or
              later.
              -new_account

              Run Navigator (3.x) or Communicator (4.x) using a particular
              initialization file.
              -i [path to initialization file]

              Open Navigator in "kiosk" mode (without menus or buttons). Applies to
              versions 3.x, or 4.02 or later.
              -k

              Open Navigator in "super-kiosk" mode (borderless, full-screen display
              that can be further customized with JavaScript). Applies to version 4.02
              or later.
              -sk

              Load Java at start-up, while splash screen is displayed. Helpful when
              running enterprise and kiosk applications. Applies to version 4.02 or later.
              -start_java

              Before Communicator opens, ask the user to fill out a new profile.
              -new_profile

              Before Communicator opens, display the Profile Manager so the user can
              choose the correct identity.
              -profile_manager

              Run Communicator using a particular user profile.
              -P (uppercase "P" is required) ["user's profile name"] e.g.,
              -P"profilename"

              Open Navigator regardless of any conflicting preferences.
              -browser

              Open Navigator and display a local HTML document.
              [file_name]

              Open Navigator and use the HTML document at the named URL as a home page.
              -h [URL]

              Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
              -mail

              Open the Inbox in Messenger.
              -inbox

              Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
              server.
              -news

              Open the Message Center to see all folders.
              -folders

              Open the Address Book.
              -address

              Import an LDIF file into the Address Book. Note that entries that are
              exact duplicates are not added.
              -import [LDIF_file_name]

              Export the contents of the Address Book as an LDIF file. Only exporting
              occurs. Exported file automatically gets .ldif extension.
              -export [LDIF_file_name]

              Open Page Composer without specifying an HTML document.
              -edit

              Open Page Composer and load a particular HTML document.
              -edit [file_name]

              Open new Message Composition window.
              -compose

              Open new Message Composition window with attachments.
              -compose [@attachments] | [-attachment]

              Open new Message Composition window, automatically inserting message and
              attachments.
              -compose [message @attachments] | [message -attachment]

              Run Netcaster. Requires that Netcaster is already installed.
              -netcaster

              Windows 3.1 Differences

              Command lines begin with drive:\netscape\navstart rather than the path
              to netscape.exe.

              Command options (arguments) for navstart.exe have to begin with a fully
              qualified path to netscape.exe.

              For example, to run Netscape Messenger the command line could be
              C:\programs\netscape\navstart.exe "c:\programs\netscape\netscape.exe" -mail.

              You can have additional options on the same command line following the
              guidelines described above.

              Unix

              Options Syntax

              Display a list of all the command line options, with a brief explanation
              of each.
              -help

              Open NetHelp at start-up.
              -nethelp [nethelp_URL]

              Bypass the license page that appears at start-up.
              -no-about-splash

              Show the version number and build date.
              -version

              Specify the X server to use.
              -display [dpy]

              Start up iconified.
              -iconic

              Force session management on. Session management is supported by default.
              -session-management

              Force session management off. Session management is supported by default.
              -no-session-management

              Force session management on. Session management is supported on Irix by
              default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
              settings, as with some SGI systems.
              -irix-session-management

              Force session management off. Session management is supported on Irix by
              default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
              settings, as with some SGI systems.
              -no-irix-session-management

              Ignore window geometry saved for session.
              -ignore-geometry-prefs

              Don't save the session's window geometry.
              -dont-save-geometry-prefs

              Use a specific server visual.
              -visual [id-or-number]

              Install a private color map.
              -install

              Use the default color map.
              -no-install

              Set the maximum number of colors to allocate for images (when not using
              -install).
              -ncols [N]

              Force 1-bit-deep image display.
              -mono

              Set a specific X resource.
              -xrm [resource-spec]

              Execute a command in an already running Netscape process.
              -remote [remote-command]

              Following a -remote command, cause the window to raise to the top.
              -raise

              Following a -remote command, do not cause the window to raise to the top.
              -noraise

              Ignore the alwaysraised, alwayslowered, and z-lock attributes of
              JavaScript window.open().
              -dont-force-window-stacking

              The ID of an X window to which -remote commands should be sent (if
              unspecified, the first window found is used).
              -id [window-id]

              Show only the Component Bar.
              -component-bar

              Position and size the Messenger and Collabra windows.
              -geometry =WxH+X+Y (the default is 620x950+630+40)

              Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
              -messenger

              Open Messenger (an alternate option that also displays the Inbox by
              default).
              -mail

              Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
              server.
              -discussions

              Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
              server (an alternate option that works the same as -discussions).
              -news

              Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL.
              -composer [URL]

              Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL (an
              alternate option that works the same as -composer).
              -edit [URL]

              Parameter Definitions

              Note that parameters other than switches are interpreted as files or
              URLs to be loaded.

              Parameter
              Definition path to initialization file

              The full path to the appropriate initialization file. The default name
              for this file is netscape.ini.

              "user's profile name" The individual user's name as it appears in the
              Profile Manager, bracketed by quotes. file_name

              The full path to the HTML document.
              URL

              The URL of the page to display.
              LDIF_file_name

              The full path to the LDIF file.
              message

              The name of a file containing a message, including its full path. The
              default search location is the Temp directory.
              attachments

              The name or names of the attachments or attachment lists, including the
              full path for each. Lists are preceded with the @ symbol, individual
              attachments are preceded with a hyphen. Multiple names are delimited
              by a vertical bar ( | ), single names are preceded by a hyphen ( - ). The
              default search location is the Temp directory.
              nethelp_URL

              The URL of the NetHelp content, usually located in folders below
              \nethelp\netscape.
              dpy

              The name of the Unix X server to use, in the format machinename:0.
              id-or-number

              The specific server visual to use.

              The integer for the maximum number of colors to allocate for images.
              resource-spec

              The name of a specific X resource.
              remote-command

              The remote command to execute in an already-running Netscape
              process. For more information, see Remote Control of Unix Netscape.
              window-id

              The ID of an X window to receive -remote commands.

              Syntax Rules

              File names or paths with spaces have to be enclosed in quotes; for
              example, "My Documents". The commands and parameters aren't case
              sensitive (except for the "-P" option, which must be uppercase). The
              hyphen (-) delimits an action type. Blank spaces ( ) separate actions
              from parameters and parameters from each other. The "at" symbol (@)
              delimits the names of attachment file lists. The hyphen (-) delimits
              the names of single attachment files.

              For the latest technical information on Sun-Netscape Alliance products,
              go to: http://developer.iplanet.com

              For more Internet development resources, try Netscape TechSearch.

              Copyright © 1999 Netscape Communications Corporation.

              This site powered by: Netscape Enterprise Server and Netscape Compass
              Server.

              ºvº
              hrs <04-12-01> hsavage@...