[NTB] Browsers.dat changes

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      ** moved to NTB-HTML **

      hsavage: >> I recall only 1 list responder that said they had
      >> FireFox working correctly ...

      With this browsers.dat definition of Firefox:
      [Firefox]
      Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

      ie. *just the one line* and no DDE stuff and no "-browser" paramater

      and using:
      FFox 1.0 and
      Tabbrowser Extensions with with it set to use:
      - only tabs and never windows:
      - and with:
      -- External Links from Other Applications=Open in New Tab

      setting Notetab-2nd Browser to [Firefox] I see the following behavior:

      - if Firefox is *not* open I get a 404 with an invalid URL
      eg: trying to open : C:\TEMP\nospaces.htm
      opens two pages - an empty (Untitled) page with the Address bar blank *and*
      a second page with the incorrect URL: http://temp/nospaces.htm

      - once Firefox *is* open and still displaying the erroneous URL, again
      clicking 2nd-browser on the above file this time opens it (and any others)
      correctly as:

      As an experiment, I closed Firefox, reopened it from its startup shortcut.
      This opens correctly and displays my HomePage as it should. Again clicking
      2nd-browser on the above file it (and any others) open correctly as above.

      Hyptothesis: there is some bug in FFox 1.0 which makes it fail to load the
      page externally requested if FFox is not already running.

      Workaround: Start FFox manually before attempting to open pages from Notetab
      or *expect* the first failure and just redo the Open from Notetab.

      Question: Anyone else seeing similar behavior and/or able to open a page in
      a "non-browsers" window from Notetab even if FFox 1.0 is *not* already
      running?

      Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
          Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.

          Using a simple clip:

          ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/

          It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.

          If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
          is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
          Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
          the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
          browser.

          However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
          URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
          used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
          the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.

          I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
          I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:

          -browser
          -safe-mode
          -profile /profilename

          If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
          knows, please let us know.

          Larry Hamilton
          lmh@...
          My Webpage
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
        • Josh - CK
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
            -remote

            On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
            <lmh@...> wrote:

            > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
            >
            > Using a simple clip:
            >
            > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
            >
            > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
            >
            > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
            > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
            > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
            > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
            > browser.
            >
            > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
            > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
            > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
            > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
            >
            > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
            > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
            >
            > -browser
            > -safe-mode
            > -profile /profilename
            >
            > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
            > knows, please let us know.
            >

            > Larry Hamilton
            > lmh@...
            > My Webpage
            > http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
            > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
            >

            > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            Josh Simmons - CK
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
              Here is what I have found, and I did some testing of -remote.

              Discovered from email lists or search of Firefox help related sites:
              -browser
              -safe-mode
              -profile /profilename
              -console is used for debugging purposes, if no errors it closes the
              console and opens the browser.

              From Mozilla Command-Line page that work with Firefox (Some of these
              appear to "work", but it seems to only launch the browser):
              http://www.mozilla.org/docs/command-line-args.html

              "URL" i.e. firefox "www.mozilla.org"
              -h or -help This is supposed to list all the supported arguments, but
              does nothing.
              -turbo
              -quiet or -nosplash
              -p "profilename"
              -remote This is supported in Unix/Linux only. Just the -remote switch
              starts Firefox. Using -remote openURL(http://mozilla.org, new-tab) gets
              interesting results, it opens up the Japanese Tabbrowser extension page.
              Here is the page for the remote options:
              http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

              Googling for "firefox command-line-args" without the quotes got more
              helpful information than "firefox command line switch".

              The following link mentions that some Mozilla command line args may not
              work in Firefox.

              http://kb-upgrade.mozillazine.org/index.php/Command_Line_Arguments

              If there is a way to make these switches work on Windows, please let us
              know. This will be handy for working with my Linux partition (Was RedHat
              7.2, then upgraded to RedHat 8, then upgraded to Fedora Core 3. Going to
              FC3 has been a lot of extra work, it would have been easier to format
              and start from scratch.), maybe I can get my NoteTab clips pulling up
              the desired stuff in Firefox.

              Josh - CK wrote:
              > -remote
              >

              > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
              > <lmh@...> wrote:
              >
              >>Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
              >>
              >>Using a simple clip:
              >>
              >>^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
              >>
              >>It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
              >>
              >>If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
              >>is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
              >>Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
              >>the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
              >>browser.
              >>
              >>However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
              >>URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
              >>used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
              >>the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
              >>
              >>I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
              >>I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
              >>
              >>-browser
              >>-safe-mode
              >>-profile /profilename
              >>
              >>If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
              >>knows, please let us know.
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
                Larry Hamilton wrote:
                > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
                >
                > Using a simple clip:
                >
                > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
                >
                > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
                >
                > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
                > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
                > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
                > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
                > browser.
                >
                > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
                > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
                > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
                > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding
                the URL.

                > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
                > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
                >
                > -browser
                > -safe-mode
                > -profile /profilename
                >
                > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
                > knows, please let us know.
                >
                > Larry Hamilton

                Larry,

                I have a list of Netscape command-line parameters, most, if not all, are
                compatible with Mozilla and I think most are, or will be, compatible
                with FireFox.

                I'll include these below.

                COMMUNICATOR'S COMMAND LINE OPTIONS

                On Windows platforms you can use command line configuration options to
                control how Communicator opens, which components open initially, and
                what the components do when they open. There are also command line
                options that apply to Communicator on the Unix platform.

                Also see the Parameter Definitions and Syntax Rules that follow the
                Windows and Unix command line options.

                Windows 3.1x, 95, NT

                Options Syntax

                Create a dummy profile and launch the Account Setup application (through
                which the user will create a real account). Applies to version 4.02 or
                later.
                -new_account

                Run Navigator (3.x) or Communicator (4.x) using a particular
                initialization file.
                -i [path to initialization file]

                Open Navigator in "kiosk" mode (without menus or buttons). Applies to
                versions 3.x, or 4.02 or later.
                -k

                Open Navigator in "super-kiosk" mode (borderless, full-screen display
                that can be further customized with JavaScript). Applies to version 4.02
                or later.
                -sk

                Load Java at start-up, while splash screen is displayed. Helpful when
                running enterprise and kiosk applications. Applies to version 4.02 or later.
                -start_java

                Before Communicator opens, ask the user to fill out a new profile.
                -new_profile

                Before Communicator opens, display the Profile Manager so the user can
                choose the correct identity.
                -profile_manager

                Run Communicator using a particular user profile.
                -P (uppercase "P" is required) ["user's profile name"] e.g.,
                -P"profilename"

                Open Navigator regardless of any conflicting preferences.
                -browser

                Open Navigator and display a local HTML document.
                [file_name]

                Open Navigator and use the HTML document at the named URL as a home page.
                -h [URL]

                Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
                -mail

                Open the Inbox in Messenger.
                -inbox

                Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                server.
                -news

                Open the Message Center to see all folders.
                -folders

                Open the Address Book.
                -address

                Import an LDIF file into the Address Book. Note that entries that are
                exact duplicates are not added.
                -import [LDIF_file_name]

                Export the contents of the Address Book as an LDIF file. Only exporting
                occurs. Exported file automatically gets .ldif extension.
                -export [LDIF_file_name]

                Open Page Composer without specifying an HTML document.
                -edit

                Open Page Composer and load a particular HTML document.
                -edit [file_name]

                Open new Message Composition window.
                -compose

                Open new Message Composition window with attachments.
                -compose [@attachments] | [-attachment]

                Open new Message Composition window, automatically inserting message and
                attachments.
                -compose [message @attachments] | [message -attachment]

                Run Netcaster. Requires that Netcaster is already installed.
                -netcaster

                Windows 3.1 Differences

                Command lines begin with drive:\netscape\navstart rather than the path
                to netscape.exe.

                Command options (arguments) for navstart.exe have to begin with a fully
                qualified path to netscape.exe.

                For example, to run Netscape Messenger the command line could be
                C:\programs\netscape\navstart.exe "c:\programs\netscape\netscape.exe" -mail.

                You can have additional options on the same command line following the
                guidelines described above.

                Unix

                Options Syntax

                Display a list of all the command line options, with a brief explanation
                of each.
                -help

                Open NetHelp at start-up.
                -nethelp [nethelp_URL]

                Bypass the license page that appears at start-up.
                -no-about-splash

                Show the version number and build date.
                -version

                Specify the X server to use.
                -display [dpy]

                Start up iconified.
                -iconic

                Force session management on. Session management is supported by default.
                -session-management

                Force session management off. Session management is supported by default.
                -no-session-management

                Force session management on. Session management is supported on Irix by
                default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
                settings, as with some SGI systems.
                -irix-session-management

                Force session management off. Session management is supported on Irix by
                default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
                settings, as with some SGI systems.
                -no-irix-session-management

                Ignore window geometry saved for session.
                -ignore-geometry-prefs

                Don't save the session's window geometry.
                -dont-save-geometry-prefs

                Use a specific server visual.
                -visual [id-or-number]

                Install a private color map.
                -install

                Use the default color map.
                -no-install

                Set the maximum number of colors to allocate for images (when not using
                -install).
                -ncols [N]

                Force 1-bit-deep image display.
                -mono

                Set a specific X resource.
                -xrm [resource-spec]

                Execute a command in an already running Netscape process.
                -remote [remote-command]

                Following a -remote command, cause the window to raise to the top.
                -raise

                Following a -remote command, do not cause the window to raise to the top.
                -noraise

                Ignore the alwaysraised, alwayslowered, and z-lock attributes of
                JavaScript window.open().
                -dont-force-window-stacking

                The ID of an X window to which -remote commands should be sent (if
                unspecified, the first window found is used).
                -id [window-id]

                Show only the Component Bar.
                -component-bar

                Position and size the Messenger and Collabra windows.
                -geometry =WxH+X+Y (the default is 620x950+630+40)

                Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
                -messenger

                Open Messenger (an alternate option that also displays the Inbox by
                default).
                -mail

                Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                server.
                -discussions

                Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                server (an alternate option that works the same as -discussions).
                -news

                Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL.
                -composer [URL]

                Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL (an
                alternate option that works the same as -composer).
                -edit [URL]

                Parameter Definitions

                Note that parameters other than switches are interpreted as files or
                URLs to be loaded.

                Parameter
                Definition path to initialization file

                The full path to the appropriate initialization file. The default name
                for this file is netscape.ini.

                "user's profile name" The individual user's name as it appears in the
                Profile Manager, bracketed by quotes. file_name

                The full path to the HTML document.
                URL

                The URL of the page to display.
                LDIF_file_name

                The full path to the LDIF file.
                message

                The name of a file containing a message, including its full path. The
                default search location is the Temp directory.
                attachments

                The name or names of the attachments or attachment lists, including the
                full path for each. Lists are preceded with the @ symbol, individual
                attachments are preceded with a hyphen. Multiple names are delimited
                by a vertical bar ( | ), single names are preceded by a hyphen ( - ). The
                default search location is the Temp directory.
                nethelp_URL

                The URL of the NetHelp content, usually located in folders below
                \nethelp\netscape.
                dpy

                The name of the Unix X server to use, in the format machinename:0.
                id-or-number

                The specific server visual to use.

                The integer for the maximum number of colors to allocate for images.
                resource-spec

                The name of a specific X resource.
                remote-command

                The remote command to execute in an already-running Netscape
                process. For more information, see Remote Control of Unix Netscape.
                window-id

                The ID of an X window to receive -remote commands.

                Syntax Rules

                File names or paths with spaces have to be enclosed in quotes; for
                example, "My Documents". The commands and parameters aren't case
                sensitive (except for the "-P" option, which must be uppercase). The
                hyphen (-) delimits an action type. Blank spaces ( ) separate actions
                from parameters and parameters from each other. The "at" symbol (@)
                delimits the names of attachment file lists. The hyphen (-) delimits
                the names of single attachment files.

                For the latest technical information on Sun-Netscape Alliance products,
                go to: http://developer.iplanet.com

                For more Internet development resources, try Netscape TechSearch.

                Copyright © 1999 Netscape Communications Corporation.

                This site powered by: Netscape Enterprise Server and Netscape Compass
                Server.

                ºvº
                hrs <04-12-01> hsavage@...