Re: [NTB] Browsers.dat changes

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi Harvey, Don, and Others,

      Let's take this over to the NoteTab and HTML list. Once we discuss
      this out *again*, ;) I'll add any new information to the
      different things tried and have some success and then post it
      over on that list. Most people wanting to use the View in Browser
      and View in Other Browser are doing HTML work, so it's best that
      we don't bother the folk on this list, the NoteTab Basic list
      with all this. I think we are getting very repetitious also. Once
      I get my compilation finished, we can just refer people to it.
      Thanks! (Yes, it should be an FAQ Don, actually, it is one of the
      FAQs I have been working on for my site, but it's not ready to
      announce yet though) More below...

      > Harvey wrote:
      >Don,
      >
      >I recall only 1 list responder that said they had FireFox working
      >correctly. I've tried dozens of combinations, downloaded various
      >extensions and the only thing I could find that would dependably
      >let you view a page is the browsers.dat below. Basically, all it
      >does is show a file in html, you have no menues or copy/paste
      >ability, but, it does reproduce a page well.
      >
      >Jody says,
      > > NoteTab. Mozilla browsers are a pain to get working. There seems
      > > to be a lot of variables, because different thinks work on
      > > different machines.
      >
      >I have absolutely no trouble with Mozilla, it is my primary browser.
      >The browsers.dat entry is below. Mozilla is flawless on my machine.

      I suppose I used Mozilla too loosely. I meant the Mozilla family
      of browsers: NetScape, Mozilla, FireFox, etc., not just Mozilla,
      the actual Mozilla browser. There are quite a few that cannot get
      it working correctly either from NoteTab. I'm one of them using
      your code below with modifications for my machine. Mine works
      better if I use -browser instead of -quiet. If I use -quiet no
      page is loaded. If I use -browser, I get a page, but it is like a
      full screen mode. Only the Titlebar and the page is shown. I do
      have mine configured in the Other Browser Shift+F8.

      [Mozilla]
      ; Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -quiet
      Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -browser
      UseDDE=0
      Application=E:\Browsers\Mozilla
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

      I went back to putting it in the Other Browser (Shift+F8) and
      changed the Application to the name .exe name and took out the -
      browser or -quiet and it works in View Other Browser now, but
      always opens a new window. I have to change mine back so that it
      will reuse the same window. I can live without the ToolBar, etc.

      [mozilla]
      Command=E:\Browsers\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Mozilla

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
        ** moved to NTB-HTML **

        hsavage: >> I recall only 1 list responder that said they had
        >> FireFox working correctly ...

        With this browsers.dat definition of Firefox:
        [Firefox]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

        ie. *just the one line* and no DDE stuff and no "-browser" paramater

        and using:
        FFox 1.0 and
        Tabbrowser Extensions with with it set to use:
        - only tabs and never windows:
        - and with:
        -- External Links from Other Applications=Open in New Tab

        setting Notetab-2nd Browser to [Firefox] I see the following behavior:

        - if Firefox is *not* open I get a 404 with an invalid URL
        eg: trying to open : C:\TEMP\nospaces.htm
        opens two pages - an empty (Untitled) page with the Address bar blank *and*
        a second page with the incorrect URL: http://temp/nospaces.htm

        - once Firefox *is* open and still displaying the erroneous URL, again
        clicking 2nd-browser on the above file this time opens it (and any others)
        correctly as:

        As an experiment, I closed Firefox, reopened it from its startup shortcut.
        This opens correctly and displays my HomePage as it should. Again clicking
        2nd-browser on the above file it (and any others) open correctly as above.

        Hyptothesis: there is some bug in FFox 1.0 which makes it fail to load the
        page externally requested if FFox is not already running.

        Workaround: Start FFox manually before attempting to open pages from Notetab
        or *expect* the first failure and just redo the Open from Notetab.

        Question: Anyone else seeing similar behavior and/or able to open a page in
        a "non-browsers" window from Notetab even if FFox 1.0 is *not* already
        running?

        Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
            Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.

            Using a simple clip:

            ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/

            It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.

            If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
            is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
            Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
            the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
            browser.

            However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
            URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
            used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
            the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.

            I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
            I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:

            -browser
            -safe-mode
            -profile /profilename

            If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
            knows, please let us know.

            Larry Hamilton
            lmh@...
            My Webpage
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          • Josh - CK
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
              -remote

              On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
              <lmh@...> wrote:

              > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
              >
              > Using a simple clip:
              >
              > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
              >
              > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
              >
              > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
              > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
              > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
              > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
              > browser.
              >
              > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
              > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
              > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
              > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
              >
              > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
              > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
              >
              > -browser
              > -safe-mode
              > -profile /profilename
              >
              > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
              > knows, please let us know.
              >

              > Larry Hamilton
              > lmh@...
              > My Webpage
              > http://members.tripod.com/~notlimah/index.htm
              > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
              >

              > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

              Josh Simmons - CK
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
                Here is what I have found, and I did some testing of -remote.

                Discovered from email lists or search of Firefox help related sites:
                -browser
                -safe-mode
                -profile /profilename
                -console is used for debugging purposes, if no errors it closes the
                console and opens the browser.

                From Mozilla Command-Line page that work with Firefox (Some of these
                appear to "work", but it seems to only launch the browser):
                http://www.mozilla.org/docs/command-line-args.html

                "URL" i.e. firefox "www.mozilla.org"
                -h or -help This is supposed to list all the supported arguments, but
                does nothing.
                -turbo
                -quiet or -nosplash
                -p "profilename"
                -remote This is supported in Unix/Linux only. Just the -remote switch
                starts Firefox. Using -remote openURL(http://mozilla.org, new-tab) gets
                interesting results, it opens up the Japanese Tabbrowser extension page.
                Here is the page for the remote options:
                http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

                Googling for "firefox command-line-args" without the quotes got more
                helpful information than "firefox command line switch".

                The following link mentions that some Mozilla command line args may not
                work in Firefox.

                http://kb-upgrade.mozillazine.org/index.php/Command_Line_Arguments

                If there is a way to make these switches work on Windows, please let us
                know. This will be handy for working with my Linux partition (Was RedHat
                7.2, then upgraded to RedHat 8, then upgraded to Fedora Core 3. Going to
                FC3 has been a lot of extra work, it would have been easier to format
                and start from scratch.), maybe I can get my NoteTab clips pulling up
                the desired stuff in Firefox.

                Josh - CK wrote:
                > -remote
                >

                > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:45:22 -0500, Larry Hamilton
                > <lmh@...> wrote:
                >
                >>Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
                >>
                >>Using a simple clip:
                >>
                >>^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
                >>
                >>It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
                >>
                >>If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
                >>is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
                >>Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
                >>the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
                >>browser.
                >>
                >>However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
                >>URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
                >>used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
                >>the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding the URL.
                >>
                >>I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
                >>I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
                >>
                >>-browser
                >>-safe-mode
                >>-profile /profilename
                >>
                >>If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
                >>knows, please let us know.
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
                  Larry Hamilton wrote:
                  > Out of curiosity, I did some more testing.
                  >
                  > Using a simple clip:
                  >
                  > ^!URL [Firefox] http://www.genealogytoday.com/
                  >
                  > It opens Firefox with this in the first tab.
                  >
                  > If I use a more complex example, like from my previous post where a file
                  > is created by a clip and the new file is called up in Firefox, if
                  > Firefox is closed, it does the odd behavior noted. This is with either
                  > the ^!URL [Firefox] command or with F8 with Firefox set as the main
                  > browser.
                  >
                  > However, if I CTRL+double-click the URL, Firefox opens with the desired
                  > URL displayed in the first tab. Firefox is not my default browser, but I
                  > used the URL in the clip above, from the clip editor tab. This must be
                  > the same as running the clip since it has ^!URL [Firefox] preceding
                  the URL.

                  > I am trying to find a list of the Firefox command line switches. So far,
                  > I have found 3, but no comprehensive list. The three are:
                  >
                  > -browser
                  > -safe-mode
                  > -profile /profilename
                  >
                  > If I find more or find a list, I will post. If anyone else already
                  > knows, please let us know.
                  >
                  > Larry Hamilton

                  Larry,

                  I have a list of Netscape command-line parameters, most, if not all, are
                  compatible with Mozilla and I think most are, or will be, compatible
                  with FireFox.

                  I'll include these below.

                  COMMUNICATOR'S COMMAND LINE OPTIONS

                  On Windows platforms you can use command line configuration options to
                  control how Communicator opens, which components open initially, and
                  what the components do when they open. There are also command line
                  options that apply to Communicator on the Unix platform.

                  Also see the Parameter Definitions and Syntax Rules that follow the
                  Windows and Unix command line options.

                  Windows 3.1x, 95, NT

                  Options Syntax

                  Create a dummy profile and launch the Account Setup application (through
                  which the user will create a real account). Applies to version 4.02 or
                  later.
                  -new_account

                  Run Navigator (3.x) or Communicator (4.x) using a particular
                  initialization file.
                  -i [path to initialization file]

                  Open Navigator in "kiosk" mode (without menus or buttons). Applies to
                  versions 3.x, or 4.02 or later.
                  -k

                  Open Navigator in "super-kiosk" mode (borderless, full-screen display
                  that can be further customized with JavaScript). Applies to version 4.02
                  or later.
                  -sk

                  Load Java at start-up, while splash screen is displayed. Helpful when
                  running enterprise and kiosk applications. Applies to version 4.02 or later.
                  -start_java

                  Before Communicator opens, ask the user to fill out a new profile.
                  -new_profile

                  Before Communicator opens, display the Profile Manager so the user can
                  choose the correct identity.
                  -profile_manager

                  Run Communicator using a particular user profile.
                  -P (uppercase "P" is required) ["user's profile name"] e.g.,
                  -P"profilename"

                  Open Navigator regardless of any conflicting preferences.
                  -browser

                  Open Navigator and display a local HTML document.
                  [file_name]

                  Open Navigator and use the HTML document at the named URL as a home page.
                  -h [URL]

                  Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
                  -mail

                  Open the Inbox in Messenger.
                  -inbox

                  Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                  server.
                  -news

                  Open the Message Center to see all folders.
                  -folders

                  Open the Address Book.
                  -address

                  Import an LDIF file into the Address Book. Note that entries that are
                  exact duplicates are not added.
                  -import [LDIF_file_name]

                  Export the contents of the Address Book as an LDIF file. Only exporting
                  occurs. Exported file automatically gets .ldif extension.
                  -export [LDIF_file_name]

                  Open Page Composer without specifying an HTML document.
                  -edit

                  Open Page Composer and load a particular HTML document.
                  -edit [file_name]

                  Open new Message Composition window.
                  -compose

                  Open new Message Composition window with attachments.
                  -compose [@attachments] | [-attachment]

                  Open new Message Composition window, automatically inserting message and
                  attachments.
                  -compose [message @attachments] | [message -attachment]

                  Run Netcaster. Requires that Netcaster is already installed.
                  -netcaster

                  Windows 3.1 Differences

                  Command lines begin with drive:\netscape\navstart rather than the path
                  to netscape.exe.

                  Command options (arguments) for navstart.exe have to begin with a fully
                  qualified path to netscape.exe.

                  For example, to run Netscape Messenger the command line could be
                  C:\programs\netscape\navstart.exe "c:\programs\netscape\netscape.exe" -mail.

                  You can have additional options on the same command line following the
                  guidelines described above.

                  Unix

                  Options Syntax

                  Display a list of all the command line options, with a brief explanation
                  of each.
                  -help

                  Open NetHelp at start-up.
                  -nethelp [nethelp_URL]

                  Bypass the license page that appears at start-up.
                  -no-about-splash

                  Show the version number and build date.
                  -version

                  Specify the X server to use.
                  -display [dpy]

                  Start up iconified.
                  -iconic

                  Force session management on. Session management is supported by default.
                  -session-management

                  Force session management off. Session management is supported by default.
                  -no-session-management

                  Force session management on. Session management is supported on Irix by
                  default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
                  settings, as with some SGI systems.
                  -irix-session-management

                  Force session management off. Session management is supported on Irix by
                  default. This may be needed on Irix systems that require explicit
                  settings, as with some SGI systems.
                  -no-irix-session-management

                  Ignore window geometry saved for session.
                  -ignore-geometry-prefs

                  Don't save the session's window geometry.
                  -dont-save-geometry-prefs

                  Use a specific server visual.
                  -visual [id-or-number]

                  Install a private color map.
                  -install

                  Use the default color map.
                  -no-install

                  Set the maximum number of colors to allocate for images (when not using
                  -install).
                  -ncols [N]

                  Force 1-bit-deep image display.
                  -mono

                  Set a specific X resource.
                  -xrm [resource-spec]

                  Execute a command in an already running Netscape process.
                  -remote [remote-command]

                  Following a -remote command, cause the window to raise to the top.
                  -raise

                  Following a -remote command, do not cause the window to raise to the top.
                  -noraise

                  Ignore the alwaysraised, alwayslowered, and z-lock attributes of
                  JavaScript window.open().
                  -dont-force-window-stacking

                  The ID of an X window to which -remote commands should be sent (if
                  unspecified, the first window found is used).
                  -id [window-id]

                  Show only the Component Bar.
                  -component-bar

                  Position and size the Messenger and Collabra windows.
                  -geometry =WxH+X+Y (the default is 620x950+630+40)

                  Open Messenger (displays the Inbox by default).
                  -messenger

                  Open Messenger (an alternate option that also displays the Inbox by
                  default).
                  -mail

                  Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                  server.
                  -discussions

                  Open the Message Center and go to the first subscribed discussion group
                  server (an alternate option that works the same as -discussions).
                  -news

                  Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL.
                  -composer [URL]

                  Open Composer and optionally open the document at the specified URL (an
                  alternate option that works the same as -composer).
                  -edit [URL]

                  Parameter Definitions

                  Note that parameters other than switches are interpreted as files or
                  URLs to be loaded.

                  Parameter
                  Definition path to initialization file

                  The full path to the appropriate initialization file. The default name
                  for this file is netscape.ini.

                  "user's profile name" The individual user's name as it appears in the
                  Profile Manager, bracketed by quotes. file_name

                  The full path to the HTML document.
                  URL

                  The URL of the page to display.
                  LDIF_file_name

                  The full path to the LDIF file.
                  message

                  The name of a file containing a message, including its full path. The
                  default search location is the Temp directory.
                  attachments

                  The name or names of the attachments or attachment lists, including the
                  full path for each. Lists are preceded with the @ symbol, individual
                  attachments are preceded with a hyphen. Multiple names are delimited
                  by a vertical bar ( | ), single names are preceded by a hyphen ( - ). The
                  default search location is the Temp directory.
                  nethelp_URL

                  The URL of the NetHelp content, usually located in folders below
                  \nethelp\netscape.
                  dpy

                  The name of the Unix X server to use, in the format machinename:0.
                  id-or-number

                  The specific server visual to use.

                  The integer for the maximum number of colors to allocate for images.
                  resource-spec

                  The name of a specific X resource.
                  remote-command

                  The remote command to execute in an already-running Netscape
                  process. For more information, see Remote Control of Unix Netscape.
                  window-id

                  The ID of an X window to receive -remote commands.

                  Syntax Rules

                  File names or paths with spaces have to be enclosed in quotes; for
                  example, "My Documents". The commands and parameters aren't case
                  sensitive (except for the "-P" option, which must be uppercase). The
                  hyphen (-) delimits an action type. Blank spaces ( ) separate actions
                  from parameters and parameters from each other. The "at" symbol (@)
                  delimits the names of attachment file lists. The hyphen (-) delimits
                  the names of single attachment files.

                  For the latest technical information on Sun-Netscape Alliance products,
                  go to: http://developer.iplanet.com

                  For more Internet development resources, try Netscape TechSearch.

                  Copyright © 1999 Netscape Communications Corporation.

                  This site powered by: Netscape Enterprise Server and Netscape Compass
                  Server.

                  ºvº
                  hrs <04-12-01> hsavage@...