validation problems

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      When I use http://validator.w3.org/ to validate this:
      http://mbreiding.us/arthist/les14.html

      I get the message below?
      What to do? I have not clue.
      -Mike
      =================
      "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
      application/octet-stream, which is not currently supported by this service.

      The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you
      use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly,
      web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to
      MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).

      That you recieved this message can mean that your server is not configured
      correctly, that your file does not have the correct filename extension, or
      that you are attempting to validate a file type that we do not support yet.
      In the latter case you should let us know that you need us to support that
      content type (please include all relevant details, including the URL to the
      standards document defining the content type) using the instructions on the
      Feedback Page."

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
        The problems appears to have been trying to validate the local file.
        When I uploaded it to the server it validated without errors.
        -Mike
        ------------

        At 10:36 AM 11/29/2004 -0500, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

        >When I use http://validator.w3.org/ to validate this:
        >http://mbreiding.us/arthist/les14.html
        >
        >I get the message below?
        >What to do? I have not clue.
        >-Mike
        >=================
        >"Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
        >application/octet-stream, which is not currently supported by this service.
        >
        >The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you
        >use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly,
        >web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to
        >MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).
        >
        >That you recieved this message can mean that your server is not configured
        >correctly, that your file does not have the correct filename extension, or
        >that you are attempting to validate a file type that we do not support yet.
        >In the latter case you should let us know that you need us to support that
        >content type (please include all relevant details, including the URL to the
        >standards document defining the content type) using the instructions on the
        >Feedback Page."

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
          Mike:

          I used validations in Firefox which worked fine complaining only about:

          Line 136, column 3: start tag for "LI" omitted, but its declaration does not
          permit this
          <ul>
          <<

          URL to get the same output: