Re: [NH] CSS problem

  • jorigami
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
      > You need to set a width for a float for it to
      > work properly.

      The problem is that I don't know the width of red div, it depends on
      user text size settings. I was hoping that browser could figure out
      the green div width after rendering the red and blue. I guess I need
      to stick red and blue into two-cell table.

      > max-width can be problematic too.

      Yep, IE doesn't understand it at all for starters...

      > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.

      That's what I think too. I might get it working with quirks mode but
      if I can do it with table so that red pushes blue out of viewport then
      I will do that. Who wants advertisement on narrow screen anyway? JFYI,
      for handheld devices the red div (links to bookmarks on the same page)
      is rendered without line breaks and the blue one disappears
      altogether.

      > My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by designing for
      > Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and gets it wrong a lot
      > of the time.

      I use mainly Opera, but I also have Lynx, Firefox, IE 5.5, IE6 and
      Netscape 4.8 installed for testing. This time IE bugs happened to get
      it display what I wanted and I hoped there would be a way to coax
      standard compliant browsers to do the same.

      Jorma
    • Josh - CK
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
        I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which follow
        the standards, then fix it for IE.

        On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:41:44 -0000, jorigami <jorma.oksanen@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
        > > You need to set a width for a float for it to
        > > work properly.
        >
        > The problem is that I don't know the width of red div, it depends on
        > user text size settings. I was hoping that browser could figure out
        > the green div width after rendering the red and blue. I guess I need
        > to stick red and blue into two-cell table.
        >
        > > max-width can be problematic too.
        >
        > Yep, IE doesn't understand it at all for starters...
        >
        > > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.
        >
        > That's what I think too. I might get it working with quirks mode but
        > if I can do it with table so that red pushes blue out of viewport then
        > I will do that. Who wants advertisement on narrow screen anyway? JFYI,
        > for handheld devices the red div (links to bookmarks on the same page)
        > is rendered without line breaks and the blue one disappears
        > altogether.
        >
        > > My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by designing for
        > > Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and gets it wrong a lot
        > > of the time.
        >
        > I use mainly Opera, but I also have Lynx, Firefox, IE 5.5, IE6 and
        > Netscape 4.8 installed for testing. This time IE bugs happened to get
        > it display what I wanted and I hoped there would be a way to coax
        > standard compliant browsers to do the same.
        >

        > Jorma
        >

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

        Josh Simmons - CK
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
          Hi All interested...

          >I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
          >follow the standards, then fix it for IE.
          >
          >> > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.
          >>
          >> That's what I think too.
          >>> My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by
          >>> designing for Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and
          >>> gets it wrong a lot of the time.

          I found it is best just to validate the HTML from the get go. It
          was the good folk on this list that made a believer out of me
          when I use to try to get it al to look right in all the browsers.
          I use to "validate" with Opera years ago and for the most part
          just had a lot of headaches because of it. It will normally fix
          you right up. See the footer in any [NH] message for a free
          version of CSE HTML Lite.

          You can validate right from under NoteTab's Tools menu with it
          and change the keyboard shortcut as well. It creates a Library
          with errors, warnings, and messages listed in Clips. When you
          click on them the document is highlighted at the place that they
          are referring to. To change the shortcut open Shortcuts.dat found
          in NoteTab's main folder. Alt+Z works well for me since I am a
          mouse person myself. :)

          You can do an online test run of it at my NoteTabbers Assistant
          page and download from there as well once you see what it does.
          http://www.notetab.net <-- Validate on-line, but much better to
          do it in NoteTab because of the Library made for you. ;)

          There's also a TopStyle Lite version and Clipbar in the
          registered versions of NoteTab. Both are mentioned in Help under
          Third Party Products. Get TopStyle Lite from here as well as CSE
          Validator Lite. (TopStyle is more CSS oriented.)
          http://www.sojourner.us/software

          Might as well get the free version of WordWeb, a great thesaurus
          / dictionary, while you are there. Read about it in Third Part
          Products. Replaces the default NoteTab install. :)

          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
        • jorigami
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Josh - CK <SimmonsJ2K@G...> wrote:

            > I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
            > follow the standards, then fix it for IE.

            I don't write for IE, it just happened to do what I wanted during
            testing. My preferences go something like this: accessibility/
            usability (usually the same thing), validity, identical cross-browser
            look. I still haven't encountered case where I had to sacrifice valid
            code for accessibility.

            Jorma
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
              I'm hearing about some glitches in the Firefox 1.0 rendering engine so
              beware . . . it might not be giving the results you expect especially
              with regard to clearing floats.

              --- jorigami <jorma.oksanen@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Josh - CK <SimmonsJ2K@G...> wrote:
              >
              > > I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
              > > follow the standards, then fix it for IE.
              >
              > I don't write for IE, it just happened to do what I wanted during
              > testing. My preferences go something like this: accessibility/
              > usability (usually the same thing), validity, identical cross-browser
              > look. I still haven't encountered case where I had to sacrifice valid
              > code for accessibility.
              >

              > Jorma

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com