CSS problem

  • Jorma Oksanen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
      Can anyone help me make Mozilla/Opera behave like IE6 on this page:
      http://www.sci.fi/~tenu/test/test.htm

      Red & blue boxes inside the green one should be side by side, unless their
      combined width exceeds 50% of container - in that case they should stack
      vertically. Note that the blue box may be hidden (display:none) with alternate
      PDA stylesheet.

      Without doctype Opera7, Firefox and IE6 all behave differently.

      Thanks in advance.

      Jorma
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
        Just a quick look . . . You need to set a width for a float for it to
        work properly. max-width can be problematic too. Most likely Mozilla
        and Opera are getting it right. If you fix the problem there, it
        should work in IE too. My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of
        grief by designing for Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and
        gets it wrong a lot of the time.

        --- Jorma Oksanen <jorma.oksanen@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me make Mozilla/Opera behave like IE6 on this page:
        > http://www.sci.fi/~tenu/test/test.htm
        >
        > Red & blue boxes inside the green one should be side by side, unless
        > their
        > combined width exceeds 50% of container - in that case they should
        > stack
        > vertically. Note that the blue box may be hidden (display:none) with
        > alternate
        > PDA stylesheet.
        >
        > Without doctype Opera7, Firefox and IE6 all behave differently.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Jorma

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • jorigami
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
          > You need to set a width for a float for it to
          > work properly.

          The problem is that I don't know the width of red div, it depends on
          user text size settings. I was hoping that browser could figure out
          the green div width after rendering the red and blue. I guess I need
          to stick red and blue into two-cell table.

          > max-width can be problematic too.

          Yep, IE doesn't understand it at all for starters...

          > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.

          That's what I think too. I might get it working with quirks mode but
          if I can do it with table so that red pushes blue out of viewport then
          I will do that. Who wants advertisement on narrow screen anyway? JFYI,
          for handheld devices the red div (links to bookmarks on the same page)
          is rendered without line breaks and the blue one disappears
          altogether.

          > My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by designing for
          > Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and gets it wrong a lot
          > of the time.

          I use mainly Opera, but I also have Lynx, Firefox, IE 5.5, IE6 and
          Netscape 4.8 installed for testing. This time IE bugs happened to get
          it display what I wanted and I hoped there would be a way to coax
          standard compliant browsers to do the same.

          Jorma
        • Josh - CK
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
            I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which follow
            the standards, then fix it for IE.

            On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:41:44 -0000, jorigami <jorma.oksanen@...> wrote:

            > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
            > > You need to set a width for a float for it to
            > > work properly.
            >
            > The problem is that I don't know the width of red div, it depends on
            > user text size settings. I was hoping that browser could figure out
            > the green div width after rendering the red and blue. I guess I need
            > to stick red and blue into two-cell table.
            >
            > > max-width can be problematic too.
            >
            > Yep, IE doesn't understand it at all for starters...
            >
            > > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.
            >
            > That's what I think too. I might get it working with quirks mode but
            > if I can do it with table so that red pushes blue out of viewport then
            > I will do that. Who wants advertisement on narrow screen anyway? JFYI,
            > for handheld devices the red div (links to bookmarks on the same page)
            > is rendered without line breaks and the blue one disappears
            > altogether.
            >
            > > My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by designing for
            > > Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and gets it wrong a lot
            > > of the time.
            >
            > I use mainly Opera, but I also have Lynx, Firefox, IE 5.5, IE6 and
            > Netscape 4.8 installed for testing. This time IE bugs happened to get
            > it display what I wanted and I hoped there would be a way to coax
            > standard compliant browsers to do the same.
            >

            > Jorma
            >

            > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            Josh Simmons - CK
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
              Hi All interested...

              >I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
              >follow the standards, then fix it for IE.
              >
              >> > Most likely Mozilla and Opera are getting it right.
              >>
              >> That's what I think too.
              >>> My advice . . . you'll save yourself a lot of grief by
              >>> designing for Mozilla from the git-go as IE is very buggy and
              >>> gets it wrong a lot of the time.

              I found it is best just to validate the HTML from the get go. It
              was the good folk on this list that made a believer out of me
              when I use to try to get it al to look right in all the browsers.
              I use to "validate" with Opera years ago and for the most part
              just had a lot of headaches because of it. It will normally fix
              you right up. See the footer in any [NH] message for a free
              version of CSE HTML Lite.

              You can validate right from under NoteTab's Tools menu with it
              and change the keyboard shortcut as well. It creates a Library
              with errors, warnings, and messages listed in Clips. When you
              click on them the document is highlighted at the place that they
              are referring to. To change the shortcut open Shortcuts.dat found
              in NoteTab's main folder. Alt+Z works well for me since I am a
              mouse person myself. :)

              You can do an online test run of it at my NoteTabbers Assistant
              page and download from there as well once you see what it does.
              http://www.notetab.net <-- Validate on-line, but much better to
              do it in NoteTab because of the Library made for you. ;)

              There's also a TopStyle Lite version and Clipbar in the
              registered versions of NoteTab. Both are mentioned in Help under
              Third Party Products. Get TopStyle Lite from here as well as CSE
              Validator Lite. (TopStyle is more CSS oriented.)
              http://www.sojourner.us/software

              Might as well get the free version of WordWeb, a great thesaurus
              / dictionary, while you are there. Read about it in Third Part
              Products. Replaces the default NoteTab install. :)

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • jorigami
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Josh - CK <SimmonsJ2K@G...> wrote:

                > I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
                > follow the standards, then fix it for IE.

                I don't write for IE, it just happened to do what I wanted during
                testing. My preferences go something like this: accessibility/
                usability (usually the same thing), validity, identical cross-browser
                look. I still haven't encountered case where I had to sacrifice valid
                code for accessibility.

                Jorma
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
                  I'm hearing about some glitches in the Firefox 1.0 rendering engine so
                  beware . . . it might not be giving the results you expect especially
                  with regard to clearing floats.

                  --- jorigami <jorma.oksanen@...> wrote:

                  > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Josh - CK <SimmonsJ2K@G...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I personaly find it easier to write for Mozilla/Firefox, which
                  > > follow the standards, then fix it for IE.
                  >
                  > I don't write for IE, it just happened to do what I wanted during
                  > testing. My preferences go something like this: accessibility/
                  > usability (usually the same thing), validity, identical cross-browser
                  > look. I still haven't encountered case where I had to sacrifice valid
                  > code for accessibility.
                  >

                  > Jorma

                  The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                  http://my.yahoo.com