form validation error - What to do?

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2004
      I ran this through the W3C Markup Validation Service it returned the report
      below.
      Any ideas on the importance of this and what to do, if anything to
      correct it would be appreciated.
      The file in question is attached.
      -Mike
      =================

      1. Line 82, column 81: there is no attribute "WRAP"

      ...NAME="post" ROWS="10" COLS="50" WRAP="virtual">

      You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
      document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
      element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
      document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
      "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using
      vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed
      by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

      This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in
      the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
      supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message
      for further information.

      How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and
      attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are
      both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
      attribute.
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2004
        Mike check this out. It seems that wrap may not be official and if it is
        not it will not validate.
        http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/forms/_TEXTAREA_WRAP.html

        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

        > I ran this through the W3C Markup Validation Service it returned the report
        > below.
        > Any ideas on the importance of this and what to do, if anything to
        > correct it would be appreciated.
        > The file in question is attached.
        > -Mike
        > =================
        >
        > 1. Line 82, column 81: there is no attribute "WRAP"
        >
        > ...NAME="post" ROWS="10" COLS="50" WRAP="virtual">
        >
        > You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
        > document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
        > element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
        > document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
        > "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using
        > vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed
        > by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
        >
        > This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in
        > the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
        > supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message
        > for further information.
        >
        > How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and
        > attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are
        > both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
        > attribute.
        >

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129l5qpba/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1100370248/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12iebpqgv/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100283848798079>
        >

        > Get unlimited calls to
        >
        > U.S./Canada
        >
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129l5qpba/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1100370248/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iebpqgv/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100283848798079>

        -One thing only I know, and that is I know nothing.
        -Socrates
      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2004
          hi mike,

          yes. if the validator references an unsupported attribute then simply
          remove the offending attribute and test again.

          also, the standard DOCTYPE is unsupported in some browsers, notably
          several flavors of IE. the fix is to use:

          as your declaration. apparently this solves the browser problem and
          also validates as correct HTML. you may also want to upgrade your
          code to at least HTML 4.01 and then validate, usually as
          Transitional. there are more attributes available, although WRAP is
          not.

          regards,

          tf

          http://www.thefrank.com