[NH] Re: Remove underline from 'link'

  • Nicole Simon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
      Nicole Simon wrote:

      *argl* sorry for the spelling, I had way to few coffee.

      Nicole

      --
      »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
      enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
        > mkelly@... wrote:
        > the underlining from the link. I believe it has something to do
        > with 'decoration'?

        Yep and Nicole's right you have to use a stylesheet
        To get rid of all "underlining from the link" in your table
        create a class selector rule in a linked style sheet

        A.NoLine
        {
        text-decoration: none;
        }

        In the actual HTML table's links go

        <TD> <A class="NoLine" href="myLink.htm">Linked text</A></TD>

        >What would a clip for such a tag consist of? (I am doing a humungous index
        within a table

        I don't know what you mean here, I suppose you already now how to use
        Notetab search and replace but If you want more control and need to change a
        swag of selected <A> elements in your table then try the following clip.

        H=ChangeSelectedText
        ^!Set %ele%=^?[Start With this=<A]
        ^!Set %att%=^?[Add class attribute =<A class="NoLine"]
        ^$StrReplace(^%ele%;^%att%;"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$

        <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
        The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary visual aid.
        Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
        soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
          Grant wrote:
          > <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
          > The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary visual aid.
          > Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
          > soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."

          Writing websites does not mean to have the links like this
          If you want to get a description of my text click _here_
          If you want a screenshot click _here_.

          It should be
          You can get a _description_ of my text or see a _screenshot_.

          Most of the time the people who don't like them underlined find it good to
          have link and vlink in the same color. So, if you have many textlines, do
          you really go over _every_ line to get all links?

          Or wouldn't it be much easier to see at once the links, hm?

          Nicole

          --
          »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
          enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
          Anthony V. Vitale

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Glenn Dixon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
            I'm not sure where this discussion started, but I'd like to jump in :o)

            Underlined links have become a defacto standard. I agree with Nicole that
            the "click here" lingo is a bit old and I like her examples. Also, I think
            images and buttons are perfectly valid for links, but there needs to be some
            sort of highlighting so that you KNOW it is a link. I really don't like
            sites where I have to run my mouse cursor EVERYWHERE just to discover what
            is a link and what isn't.

            > Grant wrote:
            > > <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
            > > The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary
            > visual aid.
            > > Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
            > > soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."
            >
            > Writing websites does not mean to have the links like this
            > If you want to get a description of my text click _here_
            > If you want a screenshot click _here_.
            >
            > It should be
            > You can get a _description_ of my text or see a _screenshot_.
            >
            > Most of the time the people who don't like them underlined find it good to
            > have link and vlink in the same color. So, if you have many textlines, do
            > you really go over _every_ line to get all links?
            >
            > Or wouldn't it be much easier to see at once the links, hm?
            >
            > Nicole
            >

            > --
            > »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
            > enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
            > Anthony V. Vitale

            > FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
            > Try something new and discover more ways to save!
            > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381
            >

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          • Grey Cat
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
              > mkelly@... wrote:
              (I am doing a humungous index within a table for a web site and it just
              doesn't look right with each entry underlined). Thanks!</html>

              I have found that making a few words the link so that the underline doesn't
              go on the full description makes the visual better to my eye.

              Cat

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            • Raymond Fitzgerald
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                Hi all,

                I too prefer underlining links and conceded on just one page--our Intranet's
                site map--on which everything is a link. But an index-type page full of
                links doesn't necessarily look bad, esp. if the length of the underlining
                isn't too long. As an example, check out this Resources page:
                http://stc.org/region5/asc/www/resource.htm. (I'd been trying to find "All
                Things Web" (http://www.pantos.org/atw/) but forgot the name and lost my
                Netscape bookmark file to boot! So naturally I was really glad this page is
                still out there.)

                Without underlining, you might also consider having the text change color as
                the mouse pointer moves over each link. This'll work (at least on our site
                with everyone on IE4):

                onmousemove="changeSpan(this, 'red')">Text text</span></a>

                Cheers,
                Ray

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                  Hi All,

                  I lost the post that had somebody asking where they could get
                  more information on Style Sheets. This is in HTMLib's basic
                  section on them:

                  NOTE : Presented here is a brief overview of the Style Sheet
                  specification. For a more complete (and possibly new) reference,
                  visit the Style Sheet resource page at the W3C (at
                  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/). Also, Microsoft have produced
                  an excellent "Users guide to stylesheets" document avaiable from
                  the Microsoft Web Development Workshop web site at
                  http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/

                  Thanks!
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab and Html List...