HTML browser

  • Sam Ndou
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hi all

      I am new in the field just startered I would like to know which
      browser Can I use (netscape.....)which is compatible with windows xp to
      windows 95/8.

      Where can I download a free browser .

      from
      Samson Ndou
      ndousm@...

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
        Sam Ndou wrote:

        > Hi all
        >

        > I am new in the field just startered I would like to know which
        > browser Can I use (netscape.....)which is compatible with windows xp to
        > windows 95/8.
        >

        > Where can I download a free browser .
        >

        > from
        > Samson Ndou
        > ndousm@...

        Sam,

        Try this - http://netscape.com/ - for Netscape browser,

        when the page finishes loading.

        Or, try

        http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

        Mozilla is Netscape before Netscape get their hands on it.

        hrs
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
          On 18/10/2004 02:13, Sam Ndou invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          > I am new in the field just startered I would like to know which
          > browser Can I use (netscape.....)which is compatible with windows xp to
          > windows 95/8.
          >

          > Where can I download a free browser .

          OK, let's take it a point at a time.

          To begin with, most Windows versions since Win95 (except the very first
          version of Win95) come with a copy of Internet Explorer. All of them
          can have a more recent version installed for free, by visiting Windows
          Update or the page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx ,
          with the following comments:

          1- Win95, Win98 "first edition" and (I think) Windows NT 4 can only be
          upgraded to Internet Explorer 5.5, which is already a four years old
          browser, and has a number of well-known rendering bugs;
          2- The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows XP (IE 6.0 sp2)
          is only available as part of the Windows XP Service Pack 2, and not
          available at all to other versions of Windows.
          3- All of them have some updates to be downloaded after the installation
          (mostly related to plugging part of the security holes in IE), usually
          from Windows Update.
          4- EVEN the latest IE (the one in WinXP S2) has known rendering bugs,
          some of them pretty important. Microsoft manifested no intention of
          fixing them in the foreseeable future. And all of them have known
          security bugs, and new ones are frequently.

          So, no, I don't like IE very much, although I use it now and then when I
          have to visit a site which was badly designed and tested only on IE.
          Even so, I only do that if I'm reasonably sure of the honesty and
          trustworthyness of the company which owns the site.

          Alternative browsers, then. Let's take them one at a time:

          1- Old-style Netscape (version 4.x and lower): You can still find it
          around, but it's very buggy and hopelessly obsolete by now, and almost
          nobody still uses it. Only install it if you NEED to test your design
          in this environment.
          2- New-style Netscape (version 7.2): Based on Mozilla Suite 1.7. Unless
          you are an AOL subscriber, I don't see much point to this: it's
          basically a Mozilla with a lot of AOL-specific crap added to it. And
          they only update it about once a year, while Mozilla is updated about
          quarterly.
          3- Mozilla Application Suite: ( http://www.mozilla.org ) The latest
          "release" version is 1.7.3, and there's a beta version of 1.8 in use
          too. That's what I use at present, although I'm considering migrating to
          the new stand-alone applications (Firefox/Thunderbird/nView/Sunbird)
          sometime in the future. It's a complete suite (browser+e-mail+HTML
          composer+IRC chat), but many people feel it's too big and bloated. If
          you are going to use it in older hardware and/or need only the browser,
          look at Firefox.
          4- Mozilla Firefox: Also from the Mozilla site. The new kid on the
          block. A reengineered stand-alone browser product. It's NOT "just
          Mozilla with the other stuff cut out;" it actually uses a more
          advanced (and easier) user interface than the Mozilla Suite. The guts
          (rendering engine) are the same as the Mozilla Suite, so pages should
          render identically in both. The latest version is the 1.0 "preview
          release," which is fancy talk to say "We're almost there, give us a
          couple more weeks." The 1.0 Final version should be released about
          one week after the U.S. elections.
          5- Opera ( http://www.opera.com ): another fine, lightweight browser,
          which for years have been considered one of the best around, despite its
          small presence in the market. This one is not exactly free: you can
          use it for free in an "ad-sponsered" mode (with a small banner ad
          appearing on the window) or buy it and get rid of the ads.

          All of these should run in anything from Win95 to WinXP (and probably
          even in the Longhorn betas), although in older computers I recommend
          only Firefox and Opera.

          --
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          -=-=-
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 18, 2004
            I personaly use Firefox. It's just better IMHO.

            On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:13:06 -0300, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            <mcblista@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > release," which is fancy talk to say "We're almost there, give us a
            > couple more weeks." The 1.0 Final version should be released about
            > one week after the U.S. elections.
            > 5- Opera ( http://www.opera.com ): another fine, lightweight browser,
            > which for years have been considered one of the best around, despite its
            > small presence in the market. This one is not exactly free: you can
            > use it for free in an "ad-sponsered" mode (with a small banner ad
            > appearing on the window) or buy it and get rid of the ads.
            >
            > All of these should run in anything from Win95 to WinXP (and probably
            > even in the Longhorn betas), although in older computers I recommend
            > only Firefox and Opera.
            >
            > --
            > Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            > -=-=-
            > ... All true wisdom is found on T-Shirts.

            Josh Simmons - CK