Re: [NH] Can't set Note Tab as default editor in IE any more

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
      On 30/9/2004 17:11, Nigel Hall invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >Hello,
      >
      >Up until recently, Note Tab was set as my default editor, so that
      >when I clicked on View/Source on the drop down menu, at the top of
      >the Internet Explorer screen, it would show the HTML in Note Tab.
      >However, now it does not, and only shows the HTML in Notepad, when I
      >click on View/Source. I have tried going to "Help" in the drop down
      >menu, in NoteTab, and clicking on "Replace MS Notepad...", but it
      >does not work. I get a box that asks if I would like Note Tab Pro
      >to execute, instead of MS Notepad, and I click on "Yes", then I get
      >a Warning box that says, more or less, that Windows may try to stop
      >me from doing this, but I must cancel a message telling me to
      >restore the original Notepad, and, when it asks again, to tell it
      >that I want to keep the unrecognised file version. I am getting no
      >messages from Windows, and I just can't get NoteTab Pro to work from
      >the drop down menu in Internet Explorer.
      >
      >I have been using NoteTab from the drop down menu, with View/Source,
      >for about 2 years and have only had a problem since I installed XP
      >Service Pack 2 and a couple of more recent updates.
      >
      >Can anyone help, please?

      OK. What's happening is this:
      - What the "Replace MS Notepad" feature in Notetab does is rename
      Notepad to something else and then replacing it with a dummy
      "notepad.exe" file that only calls Notetab instead.
      - The problem is: recent versions of Windows (Win2000, XP, etc) have a
      "file protection" feature that won't let a bunch of files considered
      "essential" to Windows being deleted, replaced or otherwise changed. If
      any of those things happen, Windows will silently replace it back with a
      fresh copy. In Windows 2000, you have only to delete/rename the "clean
      copy" of notepad.exe (which is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
      subfolder) to get around this. Windows will complain, and ask for the
      original disk; Just Say No and the trick will work.
      - After SP2 is installed, the feature gets a bit harder to get around;
      now, it will search for notepad.exe ALSO from the
      C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 . If it finds it in either place, it
      will not only restore the file in the system32 folder, but also in the
      other "backup" folder.
      - So, what you have to do is to rename BOTH backup files -- in the
      dllcache AND in the ServicePackFiles\i386 folders -- BEFORE using the
      "Replace MS Notepad" feature. When you do, Windows will complain,
      threaten you with loss of system stability yadda yadda yadda... just
      click "Cancel" and you will be fine.

      (Just to be sure that it has all gone well, look at the "notepad.exe"
      file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder... if it is 19kb long and
      displays an old-fashioned, "Windows 95" icon, then the trick worked. The
      new file is 68 kb long and sports one of the new "Teletubbies" (sorry,
      "Luna") style icons.

      The funny thing is, I left a perfectly good copy of the original
      Windows notepad.exe in the C:\WINDOWS folder (and it's supposed to be
      there, it came in the original installation of XP, so Windows File
      Protection supposedly *knew* it was there) but WFP didn't try to use
      *that* one to restore the configuration. Go figure...

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
        > - After SP2 is installed, the feature gets a bit harder to get
        around;
        > now, it will search for notepad.exe ALSO from the
        > C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 .

        Thank you Marcello,

        I too had this problem since I installed XP SP2 last week. I couldn't
        fool windows to use NoteTab when 'viewing source' from IE, although I
        followed Jim Halls guidelines.

        I think it would be useful to include your reference to the second
        hidden file in the ServicePackFiles-directory in Jim Halls
        replacement-guide... I never had the need to use it, until SP2. Jody
        refers to it frequently, but at this moment it is not complete. Of
        course, Jody could als refer to your post.

        Hugo
      • Nigel Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
          Hi Rob,

          I don't know why there is not a "Replace MS Notepad..." in your drop
          down "Help" menu in Note Tab Pro, there is in mine, maybe Jody will
          know why.

          Regards,
          Nigel

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Henrichon" <ontrack100@a...>
          wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > How do you get NoteTab Pro to replace MS notepad -
          > A you know there in no "replace MS Notetab " under main "Help" menu
          > (in the Note Tab Pro version)
          >
          > I am running Win XP Pro & Firefox Browser.
          >
          > Many Thanks -
          >

          > Rob Henrichon
          >
          > On Track Interactive Solutions
          > "ONE SINGULAR GOAL . . .
          > increasing client revenues /
          > through defined computer solutions.

          > * Web Design - Graphics Design
          > * Sales and Educational Presentations
          > * Database Development
          > * E-Commerce Set Up
          > * Internet Media Consulting -
          > * Boost your site's selling power
          > * © 2004 Productivity Plus Program
          > * Increase Employee Productivity
          > * Hardware & Software Set Ups
          >
          > 129 Spruce St.
          > Rutland, VT. 05701
          >
          > Voice: 802-236-2038
          > Email: ontrack100@a... <mailto:ontrack100@a...>
        • Nigel Hall
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
            Hello Marcelo,

            I can't find the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, I don't seem
            to have it. Anyway, I renamed the notepad.exe file in
            C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, then I used the "Search" from the
            Start menu to try to find all the notepad.exe files on my computer
            and rename them. However, I can't rename either the one in
            C:\WINDOWS or C:WINDOWS\system32 without the original notepad.exe
            file reappearing, I have tried renaming both, but I am not able to
            do it without the original files reappearing. According to
            the "Search" function, these are the only two notepad.exe files that
            are there now. I re-checked the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
            folder and notepad.exe is not there any more, only the renamed
            file. When I open NoteTab and try to replace Notepad with NoteTab,
            it won't do it, and I am still left with Notepad opening up when I
            click on View/Source in IE.

            Regards,
            Nigel

            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
              On 1/10/2004 12:43, Nigel Hall invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

              >I can't find the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, I don't seem
              >to have it. Anyway, I renamed the notepad.exe file in
              >C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, then I used the "Search" from the
              >Start menu to try to find all the notepad.exe files on my computer
              >and rename them. However, I can't rename either the one in
              >C:\WINDOWS or C:WINDOWS\system32 without the original notepad.exe
              >file reappearing, I have tried renaming both, but I am not able to
              >do it without the original files reappearing. According to
              >the "Search" function, these are the only two notepad.exe files that
              >are there now. I re-checked the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
              >folder and notepad.exe is not there any more, only the renamed
              >file. When I open NoteTab and try to replace Notepad with NoteTab,
              >it won't do it, and I am still left with Notepad opening up when I
              >click on View/Source in IE.

              "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" is a hidden and protected folder. You
              have to open Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and select "Show
              hidden files and folders", AND ALSO unselect "Hide protected operating
              system files (recommended)" (ignore the warning, if you are worried
              about it just turn it back the way it was after setting up Notetab). As
              long as you're there, you might as well turn off the "Hide extensions
              for known file types" and play a bit with the other options (just try
              one at a time to find out what it does, and if that is for you).

              The default setup for the XP search sucks, by the way -- it tends to
              *not* search in a *lot* of places. It needs quite a bit of tweaking
              before it starts to be useful.

              --
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              -=-=-
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                Hi Nigel and Others,

                Thanks for all the input so far...

                >I don't know why there is not a "Replace MS Notepad..." in your drop
                >down "Help" menu in Note Tab Pro, there is in mine, maybe Jody will
                >know why.

                We ought to move this over to the Off-Topic list, please! :) See my sigline.

                Well, I have Windows XP SP2 installed now, but haven't found a
                sure fire way to use the "Replace MS Notepad" yet. I won't get
                into everything I've come up with so far, but when I get
                something solid I will post. It will probably be in the Clip
                form, unless I can find a way to keep it restoring on its own
                after restarting NoteTab, rebooting Windows, and having it
                on/off. I think there are other areas also than what has been
                mentioned like if one has Win98 installed on the same machine. :)
                I really don't know yet, but figured I'd post and let you all
                know I am working on it too - not that that is anything special,
                but the more heads working on it the sooner we might find a sure
                fire fix.

                Happy Topics,
                Jody

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Harkavy HOME
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Is there really any good reason to install SP2?

                  >I don't know why there is not a "Replace MS Notepad..." in your drop
                  >down "Help" menu in Note Tab Pro, there is in mine, maybe Jody will
                  >know why.

                  We ought to move this over to the Off-Topic list, please! :) See my
                  sigline.

                  Well, I have Windows XP SP2 installed now, but haven't found a sure fire
                  way to use the "Replace MS Notepad" yet. I won't get into everything
                  I've come up with so far, but when I get something solid I will post. It
                  will probably be in the Clip form, unless I can find a way to keep it
                  restoring on its own after restarting NoteTab, rebooting Windows, and
                  having it on/off. I think there are other areas also than what has been
                  mentioned like if one has Win98 installed on the same machine. :) I
                  really don't know yet, but figured I'd post and let you all know I am
                  working on it too - not that that is anything special, but the more
                  heads working on it the sooner we might find a sure fire fix.

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Harkavy HOME
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Sorry. One more thing. I'm having a problem getting the html version to
                    come out in Firefox when I hit F8. I just get a buggy Mozilla window
                    with two other meaningless, weird tabs on it. So I've resorted to using
                    IE as the "other browser." But I'd rather stick with Mozilla for
                    everything. Any suggestions.
                    Thanks.

                    Ward Harkavy

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Hi Marcelo,

                      Thanks, it worked :)

                      I had the other options that you suggested already selected in my
                      folder options, but I did not have the "Hide Protected operating
                      system files" unticked. When I unticked it, I could see the
                      C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder, as you said, and when I renamed
                      all three of the notepad.exe files, (the one in that folder) also
                      those in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and in the C:\WINDOWS
                      folder, then opened NoteTab and went to "Help" in the drop down
                      menu, at the top of the screen and selected "Replace MS Notepad..."
                      it really did replace Notepad and now NoteTab is back as my default
                      editor when I click on View/Source in Internet Explorer.

                      I renamed the original notepad.exe files as notepadold.exe.

                      Thanks very much for your help. It is great to have NoteTab back,
                      as I want it. :)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                        Hi All,

                        Please take all the threads on the HTML list dealing with
                        FireFox, default HTML editor, Replace MS Notepad and the like
                        over to the Off Topic list. Jim Hall has been very busy lately,
                        but I will let him know that his procedure does not work anymore
                        with XP Pro/Home SP2. Please keep Subjects current with what is
                        in the message body. TIA

                        Please reply to this on the Off Topic list. See my signature line.

                        I can get Replace MS Notepad to stick as long as if I do not
                        Restore MS Notepad and then Replace MS Notepad again. I then have
                        to run my Clip to delete the files in the service pack and
                        dllcache folders. So, I'll be working on a Clip that hopefully
                        will make it so we can toggle back and forth with just one click.

                        If you don't want it to toggle and just want your text file and IE
                        HTML editor to be NoteTab, then just:

                        1. Associate all text based files you want to open in NoteTab
                        under the Associations tab in Options.

                        2. Under the HTML Files tab Add htm and html file types so that
                        when you right click on go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
                        and choose Edit, they will open in NoteTab.

                        3. In the Utilities Library in NoteTab scroll down to the NoteTab
                        Shortcuts area and click on the Clip "Add IE Default HTML Editor"
                        so that when you use the Edit icon or View Source they will open
                        in NoteTab.

                        Note: With that configuration the only time that Notepad will be
                        opened is when a program forces Notepad to be used.

                        ... and one more time <g>
                        Please reply and make all other messages that are not HTML
                        related over on the Off Topic list. Please do not reply to these
                        messages and ask HTML questions in them - please make all
                        Subjects to reflect what your message is about.

                        http://www.notetab.net/ http://www.clean-funnies.com/
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Hi Ward,

                          Please reply to this on the Off Topic list and also your FireFox
                          message. You can read the message online from the yahoogroups
                          footer and sign up for the list from my signature line. TIA More
                          follows...

                          >Is there really any good reason to install SP2?

                          There are probably many reason to do it. There's even more
                          reasons to discuss this and all other messages not related to
                          HTML over on the NoteTab Off Topic list. :-) If you go on line to
                          the Off Topic list in the message area and search for SP2, you
                          will find a whole slew of messages on the topic. In short, there
                          are some isolated problems for people, there are some programs
                          that are said not to run per MS (but they run on some peoples
                          computers on the Off Topic list), Replace MS Notepad in NoteTab
                          is broke in NoteTab running on XP Pro/Home with SP2 installed.
                          There are some messages about how MS keeps messing up... There
                          are others that are happy with it. Myself, besides the few little
                          quirks here and there, it is the best thing that came out since
                          XP. :)