Re: [NH]

  • elssner@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2000
      Hi Jody and Grant,

      > > <FORM>
      > > <INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="Submit" VALUE="Snatch This Clip"
      > ONCLICK="Openme('search.html')">
      > >
      > > and a bunch of links to click on.
      > >
      > > CSE Validator says I need an ACTION attribute.

      > I think your question is how do I use a required "action" attribute when
      > it's not required :-7
      > Try making the action count for Zilch.
      >
      > <form action="javascript: void(0)">
      > <input type="button" name="Submit" value="Snatch This Clip"
      > onclick="Openme('search.html')" >
      > </form>
      >
      > In HTML4 You should be able to use a stand alone button element and you can
      > with ie and ns6
      > <button onclick="Openme('search.html')" >Snatch This Clip</button>
      > > but netscape 4 won't recognise a button without a form.

      Exactly.

      These two lines build a valid HTML document (check it with Tidy and the
      -o flag (omit optional tags), if you like:
      ---
      <title>button test</title>
      <input type="button" value="press">
      ---
      these tags are optional. But never the <title> *g*)

      IE 4+ and Opera 3.62+ will run it and do exactly what they are told to
      do - show a button labeled 'press'

      Unfortunately due to his buggy HTML implementation the Netscape 4.x
      don't want it.

      These 4 lines build a valid document too:
      ---
      <title>button test</title>
      <form>
      <input type=button value="press">
      </form>
      ---

      This the NS 4.x mercyful decides to accept.

      However the elegant and W3C standardized <button> tag does
      nothing in NS 4.x so far, just as said by Grant.

      So for reliabality and compatibility one still have to use the <form>
      wrapper.

      The <form> tag doesn't really require an action attribute according to
      the HTML 4.0 standard. I think your CSE Validator rejects this because
      *she* (? *g*) thinks, you have forgotten to put in the action. Since
      mostly an action is wanted when using forms. She doesnt really
      recognize, that you made the action by yourself. ;-)

      I guess even a simple 'action=""' would satisfy her (but Grant's
      suggestion does even that, just in a more verbose (and, from hers, the
      Validator's sight, more lovely way? Who knows the mind of a
      Validator...)).

      HTML has a logic. Therefore it's hard for computer programs to
      understand it right. ;-) (Because they are made by humans...
      *g*)

      Stefan
      ---
      Stefan Elssner
      Aarbergen/Germany
      elssner@...

      "The integers are made by God. All the rest is human's work."
      The mathematician Kronecker
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2000
        Hi Grant and Stefan,

        > Exactly.
        >
        > These two lines build a valid HTML document (check it with Tidy

        LOL, that's the problem. Tidy refuses to work on it because of
        too many errors. <bg>

        Thanks a lot - I'm sure it will work and will try it later.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2000
          Hi Grant and Stefan,

          > I think your question is how do I use a required "action"
          > attribute when it's not required :-7

          8?D

          OK, that problem solved and my other errors. My last problem
          before venturing into .css to get rid of the <FONT> message about
          it becoming extinct is a <BLOCKQUOTE> and justify one. I have no
          problem making it work in NS and IE, but Opera 4 beta will not
          let me <BLOCKQUOTE> and <P ALIGN="justify"></P> at the same time
          no matter what I try. This is the way I want to do it which
          makes the most sense to me as a ignernt HTML writer. What is the
          correct way to write it so the strict Opera will display it. See
          below this for others I have tried. I'd have you go to the page,
          but I left it as is since it displays good in NS and IE, but in
          Opera which sticks to the book for the most part it is a joke.
          Guess like Grant mentioned on the beta list we might as well get
          use to it...

          <BLOCKQUOTE>
          <FORM>
          <INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="Submit" VALUE="Snatch This Clip" ONCLICK="Openme('cbargrab.html')">

          <FONT SIZE="4">H=ClipBar Grabber</FONT>  <FONT SIZE="3" COLOR="#000000">(05-09-2000)</FONT>

          <P ALIGN="justify"><B>This Clip gets all the files needed to build the active Clipbar including: .clb, .ctb, .ico, and .bmp. You must have all the Clips in a Library with the same name as the Clipbar .ctb file. After is collects all the files it needs, they are zipped up using WinZip. You need to look at the code and change the line for WinZip according to the comments above it.</B></P>

          <FONT COLOR="#FF0000"><B>Open second window:</B></FONT> <A HREF="cbargrab.html" TARGET="top"><B>H=Button Cleaner</B></A>
          </FORM>
          </BLOCKQUOTE>

          -- Take 48 --

          <UL>
          <UL>
          <FORM ACTION="javascript: void(0)">
          <INPUT TYPE="button" NAME="Submit" VALUE="Snatch This Clip" ONCLICK="Openme('cbargrab.html')">

          <FONT SIZE="4">H=ClipBar Grabber</FONT>  <FONT SIZE="3" COLOR="#000000">(05-09-2000)</FONT>
          </UL>
          </UL>

          <P ALIGN="justify">
          <BLOCKQUOTE>
          <BLOCKQUOTE>
          <B>This Clip gets all the files needed to build the active Clipbar including: .clb, .ctb, .ico, and .bmp. You must have all the Clips in a Library with the same name as the Clipbar .ctb file. After is collects all the files it needs, they are zipped up using WinZip. You need to look at the code and change the line for WinZip according to the comments above it.</B>
          </BLOCKQUOTE>
          </BLOCKQUOTE>
          </P>

          <UL>
          <UL>
          <FONT COLOR="#FF0000"><B>Open second window:</B></FONT> <A HREF="cbargrab.html" TARGET="top"><B>H=Button Cleaner</B></A>
          </UL>
          </UL>
          </FORM>

          Thanks!