Re: [NH] Re: "hiding" keywords in the background

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
      Mike,

      This is a technique known as "cloaking" - presenting one page to the search
      engines and one to the visitor. As has been stated, it will get you banned
      from the search engines. I just finished writing an article about it:
      http://www.webreference.com/authoring/search_engines/cloaking/

      If your content is good, and you use the title and content met tags, along
      with a few other techniques (i.e., keywords) you will have your visitors.

      Lee Underwood

      At 9/20/04 08:18 AM, bizshop1 wrote:
      >Don't do it! Not only does it not help anymore - it may cause you to
      >be banned and NEVER able to get back in.
      >
      >http://www.searchengines.com/mistakes.html
      >
      >--- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      ><mike@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > As I understand it most search engines do not use the keyword meta
      >tags for
      > > indexing but do use the title bars and the first line(s) of text in
      >a page.
      > >
      > > In order to take advantage of this I have "hidden" keywords in the
      >page:
      > > http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/ by styling fonts the same color as the
      > > background. this has the effect of making them "invisible".
      > >
      > > Anyone have any thoughts on this as far as it's effectiveness and
      >possible
      > > negative effects on a page overall?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > -Mike
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
        Mike:

        > In order to take advantage of this I have "hidden"
        > keywords in the page: http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/ by
        > styling fonts the same color as the background. this has
        > the effect of making them "invisible".

        That's essentially the same technique that spammer's use to attempt to slip
        past spam detectors. I'm not sure about the other major players but Popfile
        does calculations to determine the difference between background - ie. it
        flags forinstance lighter blue on light blue or vice versa, so I'm not
        surprised to hear others say Goggle will catch you out too :-(

        Have you already removed the hidden keywords per others' suggestions? I
        turned on all the Accessibility options to see if I could find the hidden
        words but don't see any cloaked words.

        > http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/

        Looks like beautiful country! I went on a whitewater raft trip on the
        Frazier river in British Columbia years ago and had a great time.
        Unfortunately that was long before digital cameras so I can't put up
        anything to match yours. If you ever get a chance to try the same trip I'll
        bet you have the time of your life :-)

        Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
            Greetings,
            I just checked the map links and they work.

            I download links and store locally so as to prevent broken links if a page
            goes down or moves.
            This always make the front page available and still links to the actual
            site via that page.
            I make no pretence about the pages having originated with me.
            If anyone ever complains I will remove the links.

            Thanks,
            -Mike