RE: [NH] "hiding" keywords in the background

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
      My thanks to everyone for pointing out the error of my ways and providing
      the needed links to educate myself on this issue.
      -Mike

      At 07:23 AM 9/20/2004 -0400, Albert Thiel wrote:
      >I believe that the search engines disregard those entries, I don't remember
      >where I read it but "hiding" keywords does not work from the information I
      >read.
      >
      >Of course each search engine has its own algorithms to search pages!

    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
        Mike,

        This is a technique known as "cloaking" - presenting one page to the search
        engines and one to the visitor. As has been stated, it will get you banned
        from the search engines. I just finished writing an article about it:
        http://www.webreference.com/authoring/search_engines/cloaking/

        If your content is good, and you use the title and content met tags, along
        with a few other techniques (i.e., keywords) you will have your visitors.

        Lee Underwood

        At 9/20/04 08:18 AM, bizshop1 wrote:
        >Don't do it! Not only does it not help anymore - it may cause you to
        >be banned and NEVER able to get back in.
        >
        >http://www.searchengines.com/mistakes.html
        >
        >--- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        ><mike@m...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > As I understand it most search engines do not use the keyword meta
        >tags for
        > > indexing but do use the title bars and the first line(s) of text in
        >a page.
        > >
        > > In order to take advantage of this I have "hidden" keywords in the
        >page:
        > > http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/ by styling fonts the same color as the
        > > background. this has the effect of making them "invisible".
        > >
        > > Anyone have any thoughts on this as far as it's effectiveness and
        >possible
        > > negative effects on a page overall?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > -Mike
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
          Mike:

          > In order to take advantage of this I have "hidden"
          > keywords in the page: http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/ by
          > styling fonts the same color as the background. this has
          > the effect of making them "invisible".

          That's essentially the same technique that spammer's use to attempt to slip
          past spam detectors. I'm not sure about the other major players but Popfile
          does calculations to determine the difference between background - ie. it
          flags forinstance lighter blue on light blue or vice versa, so I'm not
          surprised to hear others say Goggle will catch you out too :-(

          Have you already removed the hidden keywords per others' suggestions? I
          turned on all the Accessibility options to see if I could find the hidden
          words but don't see any cloaked words.

          > http://mbreiding.us/pawpaw/

          Looks like beautiful country! I went on a whitewater raft trip on the
          Frazier river in British Columbia years ago and had a great time.
          Unfortunately that was long before digital cameras so I can't put up
          anything to match yours. If you ever get a chance to try the same trip I'll
          bet you have the time of your life :-)

          Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
              Greetings,
              I just checked the map links and they work.

              I download links and store locally so as to prevent broken links if a page
              goes down or moves.
              This always make the front page available and still links to the actual
              site via that page.
              I make no pretence about the pages having originated with me.
              If anyone ever complains I will remove the links.

              Thanks,
              -Mike