Re: [NH] Running Website from CD-r

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
      >I had a similar problem a couple months ago, trying to refer to a global
      >stylesheet in a fixed place (d:\foo\bar.css) in my hard drive. In the
      >end, what I found was:
      >
      >- Internet Explorer for Windows WILL recognize the (highly non-standard
      >for HTML, but standard for Windows) syntax of:
      >href="\foo\bar.css"
      >
      >- Mozilla plain won't recognize such a non-standard freak. But I've seen
      >references that it MIGHT work in Opera and older versions of Netscape --
      >although, I suspect, only in Windows...
      >
      >- Both Mozilla and IE will recognize the more standard syntax of :
      >href="file:///d|/foo/bar.css"
      >(using a | instead of a colon, after the drive letter)
      >
      >In short: it's HIGHLY non-standard, but IF you will use ONLY Windows
      >machines to open your site, you can use DOS-style paths instead of the
      >"file://" syntax. This probably won't work in other environments. So, if
      >any of the people you intend to show this uses a Mac or Linux box,
      >forget it.

      I remember we talked about this some time ago. I think it was you or
      Melchior who tipped me about $URLToFile()$ (thanks!). A time after that I
      found that this is actually documented in the URL rfc.

      Here it is. Scroll down to "3.10 FILES".
      http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt?number=1738

      --------------------------
      ...file://<host>/<path>...
      [...]
      As a special case, can be the string "localhost" or the empty string; this
      is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is being interpreted.'"

      Fact is, if you open a file by pasting a local path in any other format
      into the address bar, Opera converts it to file://localhost... and Mozilla
      goes for the "empty string" option file:///.... Both use a colon after the
      drive letter. Of the browsers I've tried IE3 is the only one that requires
      a pipe instead of a colon. Guess it's some old DOS relict.

      Well, this won't help Jeff. I just wanted to share since it never occurred
      to me before that this actually is specified somewhere.