Running Website from CD-r

  • jeff scism
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
      Jody got me back on this project this morning.

      I am restructuring a website to run in a "anyuser" computer, from the CD.

      I am of course trying to reformat the links on the 6,000 + files to be
      internal instead of full URL type links.

      Question: Knowing that "anyuser" can have any drive letter assigned as
      the CD drive, how do I tell each HTML document to find the BASE HREF?

      (The Base file is located in the CD-Root directory as index.html (still
      trying to get THIS to open on autorun...) But in this case I want the
      Index.html file to be the base referencxe for all links, so I can
      globally work from one starting location on all the links.)

      Question: is there a utility that will reconfigure all URLs in a
      document to point to the base (ie: other than doing disc replace?)

      Question: I would like to reset the website using CSS, but my server
      space apparently doesn't support the style sheet call, is there a
      "alluser" friendly way of doing this on the CD? ( I want to set up a
      style sheet that ALL web pages fit into, and just have the "meat"
      content on each page for inserting in the CSS sheet. (NOTE: The Site is
      in FRAMES).

      Jeff Scism
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
        I agree BUT when I make a link in the Cd files to point at the root
        directory, what should it use as an address to get to index.html in the
        Cd root?

        -- Jeff, the base is always from whence the current file is being
        displayed. It is the directory of the current file. If you then create
        subdirectories under that one, you can reference them relatively with ../

        I frequently move things back and forth between my c and d drives for
        example, but so long as I move the directory and all subdirectories
        together, they stay relative and work fine. Am I missing something?
        This should be simple.
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714

        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
          jeff scism wrote:

          > Jody got me back on this project this morning.
          >
          > I am restructuring a website to run in a "anyuser" computer, from the CD.
          >
          > I am of course trying to reformat the links on the 6,000 + files to be
          > internal instead of full URL type links.
          >
          > Question: Knowing that "anyuser" can have any drive letter assigned as
          > the CD drive, how do I tell each HTML document to find the BASE HREF?
          Jeff, the base is always from whence the current file is being
          displayed. It is the directory of the current file. If you then create
          subdirectories under that one, you can reference them relatively with ../

          I frequently move things back and forth between my c and d drives for
          example, but so long as I move the directory and all subdirectories
          together, they stay relative and work fine. Am I missing something?
          This should be simple.

          > (The Base file is located in the CD-Root directory as index.html (still
          > trying to get THIS to open on autorun...) But in this case I want the
          > Index.html file to be the base referencxe for all links, so I can
          > globally work from one starting location on all the links.)
          >
          > Question: is there a utility that will reconfigure all URLs in a
          > document to point to the base (ie: other than doing disc replace?)
          I have done this many times with the disk search in notetab. That is
          really the best way to do it. (Well actually the best way it to have
          been relative in the first place.

          > Question: I would like to reset the website using CSS, but my server
          > space apparently doesn't support the style sheet call, is there a
          > "alluser" friendly way of doing this on the CD? ( I want to set up a
          > style sheet that ALL web pages fit into, and just have the "meat"
          > content on each page for inserting in the CSS sheet. (NOTE: The Site is
          > in FRAMES).

          That makes very little sense. The style sheet is called by the browser.
          It isn't server dependant in any way I have ever seen. Are you sure?
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
            Jeff scism wrote:
            >Question: I would like to reset the website using CSS, but my server
            >space apparently doesn't support the style sheet call, is there a
            >"alluser" friendly way of doing this on the CD? ( I want to set up a
            >style sheet that ALL web pages fit into, and just have the "meat"
            >content on each page for inserting in the CSS sheet. (NOTE: The Site is
            >in FRAMES).

            You don't try to link to the style sheet from the frameset? You must use
            <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"> in the head of
            each framed document. Just guessing, because that a server doesn't support
            LINK, that just doesn't sound right. The server has nothing to do with that
            part, only the browser.

            But! There are misconfigured servers that send css files with the wrong
            MIME-type. In that case Moz in Strict Mode won't load them (think that goes
            for Safari and maybe others too). IE is fine with it though.

            Anyhow, <link...> with a relative URL should work anywhere, on the Web and
            locally, HD or CD.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              >I agree BUT when I make a link in the Cd files to point at the root
              >directory, what should it use as an address to get to index.html in the
              >Cd root?

              I think something like this.
              <base href="file://localhost/D:/">

              But it won't work for two reasons. You can't know the drive letter of other
              people's CD and the problem was that the links weren't relative to start
              with, if I understood you right.

              Base href only gives the browser a base URL that it can attach relative
              URLs to when they are resolved.

              <base href="http://google.com/">
              +
              The browser will try to find http://google.com/blah.html

              Lotta
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                Hi Jeff,

                > Question: is there a utility that will reconfigure all URLs in a
                > document to point to the base (ie: other than doing disc replace?)

                You could spider the site with the open source website copier WinHTTrack:
                http://www.httrack.com/

                It rewrites all links according to the options that you set (relative,
                absolute, etc.)

                HTH,
                Rudi
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Jeff Scism wrote:

                  > I agree BUT when I make a link in the Cd files to point at the root
                  > directory, what should it use as an address to get to index.html in the
                  > Cd root?

                  index.html, ../index.html, ../../index.html, etc ... ?

                  Rudi
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Hi Jeff,

                    You ought to (please, humor me;) bring this message/reply back to
                    the Off Topic list. It doesn't deal with the HTML portion of your
                    message.

                    >I agree BUT when I make a link in the Cd files to point at the
                    >root directory, what should it use as an address to get to
                    >index.html in the Cd root?

                    You just use the "FileName.ext," no path. The computer (where the
                    CD-ROM is running) knows/should know where its own CD drive(s)
                    is/are. ;) The following is using Karen's PowerTool: PTAutoRun.
                    In your CD writing/burner software just make sure it *does not*
                    add a path in front of the files. The PTStart goes on the CD, the
                    same with the BrowserCall that neither of us got to work. <g>

                    [Autorun]
                    open=PTStart.exe index.htm
                    icon=clipbook.ico
                    label=NoteTab.NET

                    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
                    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp
                    http://www.karenware.com/progs/ptautorun-setup.exe

                    It requires VBRUN 6.x files to be installed.
                    Visual Basic Runtime v6.0 Required to install and
                    run Autorun.inf Editor 1 MB
                    http://www.karenware.com/progs/vbrun60-setup.exe

                    FWIW, I have the following files in XP Pro. Perhaps
                    vb60032.dll in Win98.

                    D:\WINDOWS\system32\VB40032.DLL
                    D:\WINDOWS\system32\VB5StKit.dll
                    D:\WINDOWS\system32\VB6STKIT.DLL

                    Happy html'n!

                    www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                  • Jeff Scism

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                        The Html iles woulbe on a cd for general distribution, so I was looking
                        for a solution that essentially made the CD-r a self contained website,
                        (with the aforementioned autorun) I will post again when I get the file
                        structure properly formatted.

                        Thanks everyone for your comments.
                        --
                        ~~

                        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                        "Just the facts, maam."
                        Sgt. Joe Friday,
                        LAPD Badge #714

                        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                          On 8/9/2004 15:36, loro invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                          >Jeff Scism wrote:
                          >

                          >>I agree BUT when I make a link in the Cd files to point at the root
                          >>directory, what should it use as an address to get to index.html in the
                          >>Cd root?
                          >>

                          >I think something like this.
                          ><base href="file://localhost/D:/">
                          >
                          >But it won't work for two reasons. You can't know the drive letter of other
                          >people's CD and the problem was that the links weren't relative to start
                          >with, if I understood you right.

                          I had a similar problem a couple months ago, trying to refer to a global
                          stylesheet in a fixed place (d:\foo\bar.css) in my hard drive. In the
                          end, what I found was:

                          - Internet Explorer for Windows WILL recognize the (highly non-standard
                          for HTML, but standard for Windows) syntax of:
                          href="\foo\bar.css"

                          - Mozilla plain won't recognize such a non-standard freak. But I've seen
                          references that it MIGHT work in Opera and older versions of Netscape --
                          although, I suspect, only in Windows...

                          - Both Mozilla and IE will recognize the more standard syntax of :
                          href="file:///d|/foo/bar.css"
                          (using a | instead of a colon, after the drive letter)

                          In short: it's HIGHLY non-standard, but IF you will use ONLY Windows
                          machines to open your site, you can use DOS-style paths instead of the
                          "file://" syntax. This probably won't work in other environments. So, if
                          any of the people you intend to show this uses a Mac or Linux box,
                          forget it.

                          --
                          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                        • Don - htmlfixit.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                            Jeff Scism wrote:

                            > The Html iles woulbe on a cd for general distribution, so I was looking
                            > for a solution that essentially made the CD-r a self contained website,
                            > (with the aforementioned autorun) I will post again when I get the file
                            > structure properly formatted.
                            >
                            > Thanks everyone for your comments.
                            Jeff,

                            Once autorun kicks on the index.html file, then all links can be relevant.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                              Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                              >I had a similar problem a couple months ago, trying to refer to a global
                              >stylesheet in a fixed place (d:\foo\bar.css) in my hard drive. In the
                              >end, what I found was:
                              >
                              >- Internet Explorer for Windows WILL recognize the (highly non-standard
                              >for HTML, but standard for Windows) syntax of:
                              >href="\foo\bar.css"
                              >
                              >- Mozilla plain won't recognize such a non-standard freak. But I've seen
                              >references that it MIGHT work in Opera and older versions of Netscape --
                              >although, I suspect, only in Windows...
                              >
                              >- Both Mozilla and IE will recognize the more standard syntax of :
                              >href="file:///d|/foo/bar.css"
                              >(using a | instead of a colon, after the drive letter)
                              >
                              >In short: it's HIGHLY non-standard, but IF you will use ONLY Windows
                              >machines to open your site, you can use DOS-style paths instead of the
                              >"file://" syntax. This probably won't work in other environments. So, if
                              >any of the people you intend to show this uses a Mac or Linux box,
                              >forget it.

                              I remember we talked about this some time ago. I think it was you or
                              Melchior who tipped me about $URLToFile()$ (thanks!). A time after that I
                              found that this is actually documented in the URL rfc.

                              Here it is. Scroll down to "3.10 FILES".
                              http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt?number=1738

                              --------------------------
                              ...file://<host>/<path>...
                              [...]
                              As a special case, can be the string "localhost" or the empty string; this
                              is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is being interpreted.'"

                              Fact is, if you open a file by pasting a local path in any other format
                              into the address bar, Opera converts it to file://localhost... and Mozilla
                              goes for the "empty string" option file:///.... Both use a colon after the
                              drive letter. Of the browsers I've tried IE3 is the only one that requires
                              a pipe instead of a colon. Guess it's some old DOS relict.

                              Well, this won't help Jeff. I just wanted to share since it never occurred
                              to me before that this actually is specified somewhere.