Re: [NH] Background color for dropdown - possible?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
      Try using css . . . style="color: #xxxxxx"

      --- Alec Burgess <burale@...> wrote:

      > When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to specify the
      > background color?
      >
      > I'm working with a form where the user is asked to select a color in
      > dropdown and I'd like to be able to make the dropdown take the
      > background
      > color of the surrounding area so its possible to see which colors are
      > "bad"
      > because they won't show up.
      >
      > See sample HTML below my sig. I tried sticking a bgcolor="colorname"
      > in both
      > <form> and <select> elements to no effect which seems to be confirmed
      > by
      > looking at HTMLib "The HTML reference Library" by Stephen LeHunt.
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
      > --
      >
      > <form>
      > <select name="color">
      > <option value="aliceblue" style="color:
      > aliceblue;">
      > aliceblue
      > </option><option value="antiquewhite"
      > style="color:
      > antiquewhite;">
      > antiquewhite
      > </option><option value="green" style="color:
      > green;">
      > green
      > </option><option value="aquamarine" style="color:
      > aquamarine;">
      > aquamarine
      > </option><option value="azure" style="color:
      > azure;">
      > azure
      > </option>
      > </select>
      > </form>

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
        > When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to specify the
        > background color?
        >
        > I'm working with a form where the user is asked to select a color
        in a
        > dropdown and I'd like to be able to make the dropdown take the
        background
        > color of the surrounding area so its possible to see which colors
        are "bad"
        > because they won't show up.
        >
        > See sample HTML below my sig. I tried sticking a
        bgcolor="colorname" in both
        > <form> and <select> elements to no effect which seems to be
        confirmed by
        > looking at HTMLib "The HTML reference Library" by Stephen LeHunt.
        >
        > Regards ... Alec
        > --
        >
        > <form>
        > <select name="color">
        > <option value="aliceblue" style="color:
        aliceblue;">
        > aliceblue
        > </option><option value="antiquewhite"
        style="color:
        > antiquewhite;">
        > antiquewhite
        > </option><option value="green" style="color:
        green;">
        > green
        > </option><option value="aquamarine"
        style="color:
        > aquamarine;">
        > aquamarine
        > </option><option value="azure" style="color:
        azure;">
        > azure
        > </option>
        > </select>
        > </form>

        As sister said, use CSS. Here's a very simple example

        <form>
        <select>
        <option style="background-color: #ffffcc">First Choice</option>
        <option style="background-color: #ccccff">Second Choice</option>
        <option style="background-color: #99cccc">Third Choice</option>
        </select>
        </form>
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
          Sorry for telling you to set the font instead of background color - too
          tired. Thanks, John for helping out. Glad to see you back!

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
            John, sister:

            I got it partially working - thanks. Its for a modification to the Popfile
            buckets page, but I haven't managed to figure out how to pickup the color
            from the style.css controls the layout.

            see
            http://s89507451.onlinehome.us//popfile/more_colors/buckets_bkgnd_ddowns.htm
            if interested.

            Regards ... Alec

            > Sorry for telling you to set the font instead of
            > background color - too tired. Thanks, John for helping
            > out. Glad to see you back!
            >
            > --- John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
            >
            >> --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess"
            >> <burale@a...> wrote:
            >>> When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to
            >>> specify the background color?
          • Grant Mackenzie
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
              Huh
              I quickly wacked something like this up a few years ago..I think when a
              query up in this very group about color pickers..
              http://www.markup.co.nz/colorpicker/back_to_font.htm

              and I made a modified version..
              http://www.markup.co.nz/palettizer/palettizer.htm

              and incorporated it into my xhtml library...

              I'm working on a some editable-web ... xml webfeed syndication stuff based
              around the ATOM api
              so I'm going to take a look it at again soon and reorientate my home page
              and bla bla...

              Take Care
              Grant