Background color for dropdown - possible?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
      When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to specify the
      background color?

      I'm working with a form where the user is asked to select a color in a
      dropdown and I'd like to be able to make the dropdown take the background
      color of the surrounding area so its possible to see which colors are "bad"
      because they won't show up.

      See sample HTML below my sig. I tried sticking a bgcolor="colorname" in both
      <form> and <select> elements to no effect which seems to be confirmed by
      looking at HTMLib "The HTML reference Library" by Stephen LeHunt.

      Regards ... Alec
      --

      <form>
      <select name="color">
      <option value="aliceblue" style="color: aliceblue;">
      aliceblue
      </option><option value="antiquewhite" style="color:
      antiquewhite;">
      antiquewhite
      </option><option value="green" style="color: green;">
      green
      </option><option value="aquamarine" style="color:
      aquamarine;">
      aquamarine
      </option><option value="azure" style="color: azure;">
      azure
      </option>
      </select>
      </form>
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
        Try using css . . . style="color: #xxxxxx"

        --- Alec Burgess <burale@...> wrote:

        > When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to specify the
        > background color?
        >
        > I'm working with a form where the user is asked to select a color in
        > dropdown and I'd like to be able to make the dropdown take the
        > background
        > color of the surrounding area so its possible to see which colors are
        > "bad"
        > because they won't show up.
        >
        > See sample HTML below my sig. I tried sticking a bgcolor="colorname"
        > in both
        > <form> and <select> elements to no effect which seems to be confirmed
        > by
        > looking at HTMLib "The HTML reference Library" by Stephen LeHunt.
        >
        > Regards ... Alec
        > --
        >
        > <form>
        > <select name="color">
        > <option value="aliceblue" style="color:
        > aliceblue;">
        > aliceblue
        > </option><option value="antiquewhite"
        > style="color:
        > antiquewhite;">
        > antiquewhite
        > </option><option value="green" style="color:
        > green;">
        > green
        > </option><option value="aquamarine" style="color:
        > aquamarine;">
        > aquamarine
        > </option><option value="azure" style="color:
        > azure;">
        > azure
        > </option>
        > </select>
        > </form>

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
          > When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to specify the
          > background color?
          >
          > I'm working with a form where the user is asked to select a color
          in a
          > dropdown and I'd like to be able to make the dropdown take the
          background
          > color of the surrounding area so its possible to see which colors
          are "bad"
          > because they won't show up.
          >
          > See sample HTML below my sig. I tried sticking a
          bgcolor="colorname" in both
          > <form> and <select> elements to no effect which seems to be
          confirmed by
          > looking at HTMLib "The HTML reference Library" by Stephen LeHunt.
          >
          > Regards ... Alec
          > --
          >
          > <form>
          > <select name="color">
          > <option value="aliceblue" style="color:
          aliceblue;">
          > aliceblue
          > </option><option value="antiquewhite"
          style="color:
          > antiquewhite;">
          > antiquewhite
          > </option><option value="green" style="color:
          green;">
          > green
          > </option><option value="aquamarine"
          style="color:
          > aquamarine;">
          > aquamarine
          > </option><option value="azure" style="color:
          azure;">
          > azure
          > </option>
          > </select>
          > </form>

          As sister said, use CSS. Here's a very simple example

          <form>
          <select>
          <option style="background-color: #ffffcc">First Choice</option>
          <option style="background-color: #ccccff">Second Choice</option>
          <option style="background-color: #99cccc">Third Choice</option>
          </select>
          </form>
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
            Sorry for telling you to set the font instead of background color - too
            tired. Thanks, John for helping out. Glad to see you back!

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2004
              John, sister:

              I got it partially working - thanks. Its for a modification to the Popfile
              buckets page, but I haven't managed to figure out how to pickup the color
              from the style.css controls the layout.

              see
              http://s89507451.onlinehome.us//popfile/more_colors/buckets_bkgnd_ddowns.htm
              if interested.

              Regards ... Alec

              > Sorry for telling you to set the font instead of
              > background color - too tired. Thanks, John for helping
              > out. Glad to see you back!
              >
              > --- John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
              >
              >> --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess"
              >> <burale@a...> wrote:
              >>> When creating a form with a dropdown, is it possible to
              >>> specify the background color?
            • Grant Mackenzie
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
                Huh
                I quickly wacked something like this up a few years ago..I think when a
                query up in this very group about color pickers..
                http://www.markup.co.nz/colorpicker/back_to_font.htm

                and I made a modified version..
                http://www.markup.co.nz/palettizer/palettizer.htm

                and incorporated it into my xhtml library...

                I'm working on a some editable-web ... xml webfeed syndication stuff based
                around the ATOM api
                so I'm going to take a look it at again soon and reorientate my home page
                and bla bla...

                Take Care
                Grant