Re: [NH] another print question

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi Fay,

      Top of the day to you!

      If "compulsory page breaks" means you are setting that in
      the.css, I imagine it is going to break where you tell it too. ;)
      Why not leave that out and then the printer settings should be
      used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
      different paper sizes? I would imagine most people have their
      default set to the paper size they use all the time meaning like
      you said, I have mine set to Letter which is 8.5" x 11". Whether
      your css will override the printer settings or not I do not know
      - it may conform to the size selected. I'm not familiar with the
      code you are using. Just do a test yourself, Click on File |
      Printer Setup... and change it from A4 to Letter and see what
      happens. Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
      Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
      home. <g> FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
      Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
      it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
      or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
      vertical lines margin on the left.

      Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
      Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
      get my head spinning. <g>

      >Suddenly it's struck me that having a print css maybe can't
      >really work. I try to make it so that my pages look right on
      >Australian paper (A4) which is longer and narrower than American
      >paper (Letter)--and I have no idea what size of paper people use
      >in Europe or anywhere else.
      >Might be OK over 2 or 3 pages, but on a long document with
      >compulsory page breaks those differences will gradually add up to
      >a blank page--won't they?
      >
      >Is there something I'm not seeing, or is there a way to allow for
      >different paper sizes?

      I've got Fookesability!
      Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
      http://clean-funnies.com

      Jody

      http://sojourner.us/software
      fookes.us, notetab.net
      bwbc.us, sojourner.us
    • feigh@iprimus.com.au
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004

        Thank you, and from my Irish ancestors too!

        >Why not leave [compulsory page breaks] out and then the printer settings
        should be
        >used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
        >different paper sizes?
        Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
        Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
        pictures).
        It's page-break-inside:avoid
        I didn't know that that existed.
        I've been approaching things backwards.
        This will be much easier, because it'll go on working even if I insert a
        great hunk of text. Previously I moved all the breaks.

        >Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
        >Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
        >home.

        Mmm. That's a bit like those pages that say "This page best viewed with browser
        X at resolution Y", which is sort of asking the reader to compensate for
        my shortcomings--and, as you say, few people will have any paper other than
        standard, and even if they did, folders and so on would be for the standard
        size of paper.

        >FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
        Thank you.
        >Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
        >it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
        >or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
        >vertical lines margin on the left.
        I think we have that too--although not yellow. For the fountain-pen rather
        than the printer.

        >Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
        >Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
        >get my head spinning. <g>
        But therein lay the answer, so I thank you for reminding me to look. Just
        hadn't occurred to me that the answer would be there. Dumb! It *always* is.

        Thank you for your interest and advice,
        (I suppose I should thank IE, too. Had it not played up I'd've stayed ignorant.)

        Fay
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
          Fay wrote:
          >Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
          >Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
          >pictures).
          >It's page-break-inside:avoid
          >I didn't know that that existed.

          Before you get too excited, read the below. Will probably save a not
          insignificant area of Australian forest from destruction in your printer
          too! :-)

          <http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/browser_support/printing.html>
          <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=PrintStylesheets>

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
            Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
            This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
            program might have.

            I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
            automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
            projection screen without viewer interaction.

            Thanks,
            -Mike

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
              On 5/9/2004 08:56, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV invited the wrath of
              the gods by saying:

              >Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
              >This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
              >program might have.
              >
              >I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
              >automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
              >projection screen without viewer interaction.

              Easy way: use the "refresh" trick.

              Insert inside the <head> section an element in the form:

              <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">

              Where the number after "content" is the number of seconds the page will
              be displayed before loading the next one, and the URI after that is the
              page which will be loaded after this one.

              --
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              -=-=-
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                > This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                > program might have.
                >
                > I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                > automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                > projection screen without viewer interaction.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > -Mike

                Mike,

                In terms of 'slide-show' type picture albums, Fookes software has 2
                programs, Album Express and Easy Imager, that create regular albums or
                slide-show type albums. The album output is in 'html', suitable for
                Webpages or CD's.

                Go to http://notetab.com/ and look down the left margin under 'Other
                Software'.

                hrs
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                  One way to do it ( refresh to a new page) is to put the code into the
                  HEAD of eacvh HTML page, setting the delay:

                  The CONTENT followed by ";" sets the delay before the new page is
                  called. I believe this only works in FULL seconds.

                  The loop speed is dependant on your page load speed as well so it may be
                  SLOW on older systems. (This isn't animation this is Page reloading or
                  redirecting)

                  --
                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  "Just the facts, maam."
                  Sgt. Joe Friday,
                  LAPD Badge #714

                  Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                  VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                  Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                • Jeff Scism

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                      I did a three frame version of the redirect method

                      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/peffley/photos/slideshow.htm

                      The Other way would be to do it througha LOOP, but I think that would
                      take frames or a virtual Include.
                      --
                      ~~

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                        Excellent! This is just what I was looking for - a way to do it from within
                        the pages.

                        Each page is a separate html file and numbered consecutively, so it will be
                        easy to include <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">
                        then, start the page and walk away while it runs.

                        Thanks again,
                        -Mike