Re: [NH] print.css crashing in IE

  • feigh@iprimus.com.au
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
      >-- Original Message --
      >From: Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
      >Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:50:13 -0500
      >Subject: Re: [NH] print.css crashing in IE

      Thank you.
      Fay
    • feigh@iprimus.com.au
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
        >>-- Original Message --
        >>From: Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
        >>Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:50:13 -0500
        >>Subject: Re: [NH] print.css crashing in IE

        It turns out that the print.css is not the villain in the piece. Sorry about
        that.
        It's the main style sheet--to which I'd also made some changes. I'm going
        through it line by line.
        Meanwhile, I'm thinking that sometimes a whole separate "printer friendly"
        page may not be such a bad idea! :-)

        Thank you.

        Fay
      • feigh@iprimus.com.au
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
          Suddenly it's struck me that having a print css maybe can't really work.
          I try to make it so that my pages look right on Australian paper (A4) which
          is longer and narrower than American paper (Letter)--and I have no idea what
          size of paper people use in Europe or anywhere else.
          Might be OK over 2 or 3 pages, but on a long document with compulsory page
          breaks those differences will gradually add up to a blank page--won't they?

          Is there something I'm not seeing, or is there a way to allow for different
          paper sizes?
          If this sounds like a really stupid question, that's all the more reason
          why I need some advice. I'm truly flummoxed.
          Thank you,
          Fay
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
            Hi Fay,

            Top of the day to you!

            If "compulsory page breaks" means you are setting that in
            the.css, I imagine it is going to break where you tell it too. ;)
            Why not leave that out and then the printer settings should be
            used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
            different paper sizes? I would imagine most people have their
            default set to the paper size they use all the time meaning like
            you said, I have mine set to Letter which is 8.5" x 11". Whether
            your css will override the printer settings or not I do not know
            - it may conform to the size selected. I'm not familiar with the
            code you are using. Just do a test yourself, Click on File |
            Printer Setup... and change it from A4 to Letter and see what
            happens. Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
            Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
            home. <g> FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
            Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
            it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
            or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
            vertical lines margin on the left.

            Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
            Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
            get my head spinning. <g>

            >Suddenly it's struck me that having a print css maybe can't
            >really work. I try to make it so that my pages look right on
            >Australian paper (A4) which is longer and narrower than American
            >paper (Letter)--and I have no idea what size of paper people use
            >in Europe or anywhere else.
            >Might be OK over 2 or 3 pages, but on a long document with
            >compulsory page breaks those differences will gradually add up to
            >a blank page--won't they?
            >
            >Is there something I'm not seeing, or is there a way to allow for
            >different paper sizes?

            I've got Fookesability!
            Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
            http://clean-funnies.com

            Jody

            http://sojourner.us/software
            fookes.us, notetab.net
            bwbc.us, sojourner.us
          • feigh@iprimus.com.au
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004

              Thank you, and from my Irish ancestors too!

              >Why not leave [compulsory page breaks] out and then the printer settings
              should be
              >used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
              >different paper sizes?
              Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
              Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
              pictures).
              It's page-break-inside:avoid
              I didn't know that that existed.
              I've been approaching things backwards.
              This will be much easier, because it'll go on working even if I insert a
              great hunk of text. Previously I moved all the breaks.

              >Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
              >Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
              >home.

              Mmm. That's a bit like those pages that say "This page best viewed with browser
              X at resolution Y", which is sort of asking the reader to compensate for
              my shortcomings--and, as you say, few people will have any paper other than
              standard, and even if they did, folders and so on would be for the standard
              size of paper.

              >FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
              Thank you.
              >Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
              >it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
              >or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
              >vertical lines margin on the left.
              I think we have that too--although not yellow. For the fountain-pen rather
              than the printer.

              >Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
              >Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
              >get my head spinning. <g>
              But therein lay the answer, so I thank you for reminding me to look. Just
              hadn't occurred to me that the answer would be there. Dumb! It *always* is.

              Thank you for your interest and advice,
              (I suppose I should thank IE, too. Had it not played up I'd've stayed ignorant.)

              Fay
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
                Fay wrote:
                >Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
                >Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
                >pictures).
                >It's page-break-inside:avoid
                >I didn't know that that existed.

                Before you get too excited, read the below. Will probably save a not
                insignificant area of Australian forest from destruction in your printer
                too! :-)

                <http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/browser_support/printing.html>
                <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=PrintStylesheets>

                Lotta
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                  Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                  This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                  program might have.

                  I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                  automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                  projection screen without viewer interaction.

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                    On 5/9/2004 08:56, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV invited the wrath of
                    the gods by saying:

                    >Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                    >This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                    >program might have.
                    >
                    >I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                    >automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                    >projection screen without viewer interaction.

                    Easy way: use the "refresh" trick.

                    Insert inside the <head> section an element in the form:

                    <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">

                    Where the number after "content" is the number of seconds the page will
                    be displayed before loading the next one, and the URI after that is the
                    page which will be loaded after this one.

                    --
                    Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    -=-=-
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                      > This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                      > program might have.
                      >
                      > I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                      > automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                      > projection screen without viewer interaction.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > -Mike

                      Mike,

                      In terms of 'slide-show' type picture albums, Fookes software has 2
                      programs, Album Express and Easy Imager, that create regular albums or
                      slide-show type albums. The album output is in 'html', suitable for
                      Webpages or CD's.

                      Go to http://notetab.com/ and look down the left margin under 'Other
                      Software'.

                      hrs
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                        One way to do it ( refresh to a new page) is to put the code into the
                        HEAD of eacvh HTML page, setting the delay:

                        The CONTENT followed by ";" sets the delay before the new page is
                        called. I believe this only works in FULL seconds.

                        The loop speed is dependant on your page load speed as well so it may be
                        SLOW on older systems. (This isn't animation this is Page reloading or
                        redirecting)

                        --
                        ~~

                        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                        "Just the facts, maam."
                        Sgt. Joe Friday,
                        LAPD Badge #714

                        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                      • Jeff Scism

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                            I did a three frame version of the redirect method

                            http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/peffley/photos/slideshow.htm

                            The Other way would be to do it througha LOOP, but I think that would
                            take frames or a virtual Include.
                            --
                            ~~

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                              Excellent! This is just what I was looking for - a way to do it from within
                              the pages.

                              Each page is a separate html file and numbered consecutively, so it will be
                              easy to include <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">
                              then, start the page and walk away while it runs.

                              Thanks again,
                              -Mike