Re: [NH] print.css crashing in IE

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hi Fay,

      I'm about off to bed; been up since yesterday at 6:30am and it's
      nigh noon here now. Perhaps you should post the link to the web
      page version as well, the HTML, that is. I know enough CSS to be
      dangerous although I get by pretty good now compared to the mess
      I had a couple years ago. <bg> I just don't get too super fancy;
      it confuses this hillbilly. ;) There's some sure enough pros on
      the list that can help though. I just mainly wanted to let you
      know you could post attachments. (I patched your earlier message
      back in at the bottom.) Good NoteNite!

      I don't know where you are using this, but see what happens if you
      take it out:

      th.rara
      {
      border: 0pt;
      }

      I notice w3c changes it to:

      th.rara
      {
      border: 0 none inherit;
      }

      which CSE Validator doesn't like.

      I notice this is red in TopStyle in your css; perhaps it's "borderline."
      Line 20:
      [603] The "page-break-after" and "page-break-before" CSS properties are official CSS2 (but not CSS1) properties and are supported by Internet Explorer 4.0+ and Opera 3.5+ but not by Netscape 6.2-.

      Line 39: th.rara
      The <border-style> value for the "border" property was omitted. This will result in no border being applied because the default of <border-style> is "none".

      >The style sheet I use is at
      >http://fay.iniminimo.com/styles/print.css It is presently
      >attached to the old version of the page I'm working on and
      >nothing seems to go wrong--although I tell my readers to use the
      >printable copy instead.
      >
      >On my local copy I've added
      >
      >.restovit {margin-left:0em; margin-right:0em;}
      >and
      >.dumb {display:inline;}
      >
      >I've used "dumb" like this:
      >
      >I also have it once inside a bit that's not to be printed, like
      >this:
      >you hover your cursor—without clicking—over <span
      >class="tip" title="This is a sample.">blue underlined
      >text.</span>
      >information will be enclosed in brackets.</p>

      > I've just revised a page that I've had up for a long time. The
      > existing version has a printable version. I don't want to make
      > a printable version for the revised page, so I've attached a
      > print style sheet. The only way this style sheet differs from
      > the print.css on all my other pages is that I've made some
      > things display that are hidden in the screen version--like my
      > email address and some explanation text that normally appears
      > only when the reader hovers over a link.
      > FireFox and Opera both seem to think it's OK, but whenever I go
      > to print preview in IE (5.5) it freezes.
      > Please, does anyone know a particular thing in print style
      > sheets that gives IE a fit of the wobblies?

      Happy html'n!

      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
    • feigh@iprimus.com.au
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004

        Thank you.
        Fay
      • feigh@iprimus.com.au
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004

          It turns out that the print.css is not the villain in the piece. Sorry about
          that.
          It's the main style sheet--to which I'd also made some changes. I'm going
          through it line by line.
          Meanwhile, I'm thinking that sometimes a whole separate "printer friendly"
          page may not be such a bad idea! :-)

          Thank you.

          Fay
        • feigh@iprimus.com.au
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
            Suddenly it's struck me that having a print css maybe can't really work.
            I try to make it so that my pages look right on Australian paper (A4) which
            is longer and narrower than American paper (Letter)--and I have no idea what
            size of paper people use in Europe or anywhere else.
            Might be OK over 2 or 3 pages, but on a long document with compulsory page
            breaks those differences will gradually add up to a blank page--won't they?

            Is there something I'm not seeing, or is there a way to allow for different
            paper sizes?
            If this sounds like a really stupid question, that's all the more reason
            why I need some advice. I'm truly flummoxed.
            Thank you,
            Fay
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
              Hi Fay,

              Top of the day to you!

              If "compulsory page breaks" means you are setting that in
              the.css, I imagine it is going to break where you tell it too. ;)
              Why not leave that out and then the printer settings should be
              used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
              different paper sizes? I would imagine most people have their
              default set to the paper size they use all the time meaning like
              you said, I have mine set to Letter which is 8.5" x 11". Whether
              your css will override the printer settings or not I do not know
              - it may conform to the size selected. I'm not familiar with the
              code you are using. Just do a test yourself, Click on File |
              Printer Setup... and change it from A4 to Letter and see what
              happens. Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
              Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
              home. <g> FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
              Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
              it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
              or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
              vertical lines margin on the left.

              Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
              Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
              get my head spinning. <g>

              >Suddenly it's struck me that having a print css maybe can't
              >really work. I try to make it so that my pages look right on
              >Australian paper (A4) which is longer and narrower than American
              >paper (Letter)--and I have no idea what size of paper people use
              >in Europe or anywhere else.
              >Might be OK over 2 or 3 pages, but on a long document with
              >compulsory page breaks those differences will gradually add up to
              >a blank page--won't they?
              >
              >Is there something I'm not seeing, or is there a way to allow for
              >different paper sizes?

              I've got Fookesability!
              Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
              http://clean-funnies.com

              Jody

              http://sojourner.us/software
              fookes.us, notetab.net
              bwbc.us, sojourner.us
            • feigh@iprimus.com.au
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004

                Thank you, and from my Irish ancestors too!

                >Why not leave [compulsory page breaks] out and then the printer settings
                should be
                >used, or is that the whole point of this? Different css for
                >different paper sizes?
                Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
                Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
                pictures).
                It's page-break-inside:avoid
                I didn't know that that existed.
                I've been approaching things backwards.
                This will be much easier, because it'll go on working even if I insert a
                great hunk of text. Previously I moved all the breaks.

                >Now, a thought would be to tell Americans to use the
                >Legal, but I doubt the everyday person will have that size at
                >home.

                Mmm. That's a bit like those pages that say "This page best viewed with browser
                X at resolution Y", which is sort of asking the reader to compensate for
                my shortcomings--and, as you say, few people will have any paper other than
                standard, and even if they did, folders and so on would be for the standard
                size of paper.

                >FWIW, Our Legal size is 8.5" by about 13 1/4".
                Thank you.
                >Normally, when we use that size it is in a pad form with lines on
                >it for, school, notes, worksheets, etc. It usually comes in white
                >or yellow colored paper with blue lines and red double or triple
                >vertical lines margin on the left.
                I think we have that too--although not yellow. For the fountain-pen rather
                than the printer.

                >Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification W3C
                >Recommendation 12-May-1998, 13 Paged media has enough in it to
                >get my head spinning. <g>
                But therein lay the answer, so I thank you for reminding me to look. Just
                hadn't occurred to me that the answer would be there. Dumb! It *always* is.

                Thank you for your interest and advice,
                (I suppose I should thank IE, too. Had it not played up I'd've stayed ignorant.)

                Fay
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Fay wrote:
                  >Yes. I should be leaving that out, I find (from the head-spinning page).
                  >Instead, I should be keeping together the bits I don't want broken (e.g.
                  >pictures).
                  >It's page-break-inside:avoid
                  >I didn't know that that existed.

                  Before you get too excited, read the below. Will probably save a not
                  insignificant area of Australian forest from destruction in your printer
                  too! :-)

                  <http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/browser_support/printing.html>
                  <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=PrintStylesheets>

                  Lotta
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                    Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                    This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                    program might have.

                    I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                    automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                    projection screen without viewer interaction.

                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                      On 5/9/2004 08:56, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV invited the wrath of
                      the gods by saying:

                      >Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                      >This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                      >program might have.
                      >
                      >I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                      >automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                      >projection screen without viewer interaction.

                      Easy way: use the "refresh" trick.

                      Insert inside the <head> section an element in the form:

                      <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">

                      Where the number after "content" is the number of seconds the page will
                      be displayed before loading the next one, and the URI after that is the
                      page which will be loaded after this one.

                      --
                      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                      -=-=-
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > Can anyone tell me how to set up web pages to automatically jump to the
                        > This would be like a photo slide show slide show a graphics or Power Point
                        > program might have.
                        >
                        > I would like to have pages like this one: http://mbreiding.us/dunkard32804/
                        > automatically go from page to page so it can be viewed on a TV or
                        > projection screen without viewer interaction.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Mike

                        Mike,

                        In terms of 'slide-show' type picture albums, Fookes software has 2
                        programs, Album Express and Easy Imager, that create regular albums or
                        slide-show type albums. The album output is in 'html', suitable for
                        Webpages or CD's.

                        Go to http://notetab.com/ and look down the left margin under 'Other
                        Software'.

                        hrs
                      • Jeff Scism
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                          One way to do it ( refresh to a new page) is to put the code into the
                          HEAD of eacvh HTML page, setting the delay:

                          The CONTENT followed by ";" sets the delay before the new page is
                          called. I believe this only works in FULL seconds.

                          The loop speed is dependant on your page load speed as well so it may be
                          SLOW on older systems. (This isn't animation this is Page reloading or
                          redirecting)

                          --
                          ~~

                          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                          "Just the facts, maam."
                          Sgt. Joe Friday,
                          LAPD Badge #714

                          Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                          VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                          Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                        • Jeff Scism

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                              I did a three frame version of the redirect method

                              http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/peffley/photos/slideshow.htm

                              The Other way would be to do it througha LOOP, but I think that would
                              take frames or a virtual Include.
                              --
                              ~~

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2004
                                Excellent! This is just what I was looking for - a way to do it from within
                                the pages.

                                Each page is a separate html file and numbered consecutively, so it will be
                                easy to include <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;url=newpage.html">
                                then, start the page and walk away while it runs.

                                Thanks again,
                                -Mike