HTML Reference Library

  • weigheyeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi,
      A few questions:
      Does anyone know the current status of the HTML Reference Library (by
      Stephen le Hunte)? I have been looking for information and it seems
      that all of the links are broken.

      Jody gave me a link to an exe file which I downloaded from http://
      alpha.tuzvo.sk/ftp/utility/html/help/htmlref/hlbsetup.exe. It works
      fine in the ADMIN account of my XP Home, but gives a "run time error
      13: Type mis-match" when I start it up from any of the user accounts.
      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Does a version exist for HTML 4.01 and/or XHTML 1? If so where can I
      get it?

      Thanking you in in anticipation ....

      Regards,

      Charlie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        weigheyeman wrote:
        >Does anyone know the current status of the HTML Reference Library (by
        >Stephen le Hunte)? I have been looking for information and it seems
        >that all of the links are broken.

        Afraid HTMLib has been abandoned for years. There's a copy that you can
        download from Notetab's site if you need a fresh one.

        For browser support tables, including proprietary stuff, try blooberry.
        http://blooberry.com/

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi Charlie,

          Lotta gave you the current status. I found some links to v4 via
          Google (htmlib.exe) 2.9Mb I don't know if it will clear your error
          problem or not. You certainly won't find an update though. :(

          Version 4:
          http://www.ekiis.com/Freesoft/binary/
          http://www.ekiis.com/Freesoft/binary/hlbsetup.exe

          http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/windows/webutils/
          http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/windows/webutils/hlbsetup.exe

          Version 3:
          The following files are available for download from our FTP
          server:
          ftp://ftp.digitaldaze.com/pub/ms-windows/html/htmlib9530.zip
          The 'Full' download version of the HTMLib - htmlib9530.zip,
          2,477,239 bytes. This contains all the necessary files for
          installation of the HTMLib, the HTMLib Colour Wizard and the Tips
          'n' Tricks file. These are all tied together in a complete
          installation routine that allows for Custom installations of any,
          or all of the three separate modules.

          The 'Lite' download version of the HTMLib - htmlib9530lite.zip,
          469,954 bytes.
          ftp://ftp.digitaldaze.com/pub/ms-windows/html/htmlib9530lite.zip

          This contains all of the necessary HLP, CNT files and the HTMLib
          Colour Wizard executable files only. There is no installation
          routine. If you have Visual Basic® 4 installed then the Colour
          Wizard will function properly, otherwise you will need to hunt
          down copies of the various support files (most of which are
          installed by other applications), or download the 'Full' download
          archive instead. A complete list of the necessary support files is
          included in the download archive.

          More version 3 - worldwide downloads
          (Looks like Steven Hunt's site mirrored, but with a lot more downloads)
          http://www.arachne.net/htmlib/
          http://www.arachne.net/htmlib/where.html

          Steven Hunt's HTMLib [3|4] Setup.
          (See Tips and How to... in NoteTab's Help also)
          You must have both shortcuts installed to execute from the Help menu:
          HTML Help (Ctrl+F11)
          HTMLib Color Wizard (Shift+Ctrl+O)

          These are the shortcuts in NoteTab's main folder:
          C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\ColWiz.exe (Color Wizard)
          C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Htmlib95.hlp (Version 3)
          C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib.exe (Version 4)

          Old stuff for an example:
          The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:
          For Version 3 HTMLib: Htmlib95.hlp
          For Version 4 HTMLib: HTMLib.exe

          For Version 3 HTMLib
          Target: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
          Start in: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib

          For Version 4 HTMLib
          Target: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib.exe
          Start In: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib

          Note: You can put any program or file in the shortcuts that you
          want. NoteTab looks for the following shortcut names and then the
          shortcut simply gets executed. So, whatever you have in the
          Target: and Start In: will be what gets executed. If you do not
          have or want HTMLib installed, you can use either one of the
          shortcut names below to start up whatever you wish. You can put
          your favorite color wizard in ColWiz.exe like BK Colour Coder or
          put a shortcut to the weather report in your area if you feel like
          it. ;)

          ColWiz.exe
          HTMLib95.hlp
          HTMLib.exe

          You might want to use something like one of these instead:
          HTML 4.0 Reference
          Downloadable versions of this reference suitable for offline use.
          Offline Versions: http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/
          C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in .HLP\INDEX.HLP
          C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in HTML\wdghtml40\index.html

          >A few questions:
          >Does anyone know the current status of the HTML Reference Library (by
          >Stephen le Hunte)? I have been looking for information and it seems
          >that all of the links are broken.

          Happy html'n!

          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
            I found that the fix is to install the VB (Visual Basic) 5.0 Runtime.

            I located a zip of the VB 5.0 Runtime install here:

            http://www.geocities.com/staffnews_2000/missingfiles.htm

            I kept Jody's message intact below, so that all of the information is in
            one place.

            Now that I have it working again, I see that it is very dated and leaves
            out a lot. I agree that the items at http://www.htmlhelp.com are more up
            to date, and can be made to work from the NoteTab menus, or with a clip
            very easily.

            Larry Hamilton
            lmh@...
            My Webpage

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
              Hi Larry,

              >I found that the fix is to install the VB (Visual Basic) 5.0 Runtime.
              >I located a zip of the VB 5.0 Runtime install here:
              >http://www.geocities.com/staffnews_2000/missingfiles.htm

              Yes, that is one of the main things, but they should be standard
              install now-a-days. I remember that nobody wanted to install IE5 back
              then to make it work. <g>

              >I kept Jody's message intact below, so that all of the information is in
              >one place.
              >
              >Now that I have it working again, I see that it is very dated and leaves
              >out a lot. I agree that the items at http://www.htmlhelp.com are more up
              >to date, and can be made to work from the NoteTab menus, or with a clip
              >very easily.

              I realize that is is very old, but the way to make the shortcuts should
              still work. They work for me. I know links are hard to keep up.

> [...]
              >> your favorite color wizard in ColWiz.exe like BK Colour Coder or
              >> put a shortcut to the weather report in your area if you feel like
              >> it. ;)
              >>
              >> ColWiz.exe
              >> HTMLib95.hlp
              >> HTMLib.exe
              >>
              >> You might want to use something like one of these instead:
              >> HTML 4.0 Reference
              >> Downloadable versions of this reference suitable for offline use.
              >> Offline Versions: http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/
              >> C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in .HLP\INDEX.HLP
              >> C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in HTML\wdghtml40\index.html
              >>

              >>>A few questions:
              >>>Does anyone know the current status of the HTML Reference Library (by
              >>>Stephen le Hunte)? I have been looking for information and it seems

              bcnu,
              jody
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:20-23

              clean-funnies.com, purewords.org, bwbc.us
              sojourner.us, notetab.net, fookes.us
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
                Jody,

                It may be dated, but your prior answer that I kept in my previous post
                shows that other resources can be made to use the "buckets" that NoteTab
                reserves for other programs.

                I just found what was needed to make it work, so I posted it. I do not
                know why I had it working and then it stopped, but it did. I have WinXP
                Home SP2, which one would think would have all that was needed to make
                the HTML Reference Library work, but hey its Microsoft! ;-)

                Larry Hamilton
                lmh@...
                My Webpage

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
                  Hi Larry,

                  >I do not know why I had it working and then it stopped, but it
                  >did. I have WinXP Home SP2, which one would think would have all
                  >that was needed to make the HTML Reference Library work, but hey
                  >its Microsoft! ;-)

                  XP SP2 has done some minor bugs here and there. I know of a
                  couple that would be of interest to some of you on this list.

                  1. Replace/Restore MS Notepad was broke due to SP2.

                  Fix: I have a Clip working now for XP SP2 installs. It and the
                  Library still needs some cleanup/fine tuning, but it has been
                  tested thoroughly by me and about a half dozen others. If you
                  would like a copy of it now (consider it like a public release
                  candidate #1 ;), please write me in private eMail to the address
                  in this eMail or Jody@.... I will not send it to people
                  who reply on the list asking for the sake of the other list
                  members. :)

                  2. It appears that CSE HTML Validator also got broke on at least
                  two systems, a customer and mine when using it from NoteTab.

                  Fix: We tried uninstalling/reinstalling, etc. to no avail. The
                  actual fix was to search the registry for all entries made by CSE
                  HTML Validator and remove them (uninstalling the validator
                  first). Albert Wiersch, its author, purposely leaves the entries
                  in the registry when it is uninstalled. There are instructions
                  for manual removal of it in the registry at his site.

                  How do I remove the HTML Validator option settings from the
                  registry?
                  http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/htmlvalqa.html#q20020521

                  I'm having trouble with an upgrade installation. How do I do a
                  clean install?
                  http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/htmlvalqa.html#q20020908

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
                    Jody,

                    My HTML Reference Library broke sometime between SP1 and SP2. Installing
                    the Visual Basic Runtime version 5 fixed it, and I suspect would have
                    fixed it pre-SP2.

                    I also have not had any trouble with CSE Validator Lite. I just tried it
                    and it works solo or by being called by NoteTab. I even upgraded to the
                    latest version of Lite and it still works.

                    What I have noticed it that SP1 slowed down my system and then SP2
                    slowed it down a little more. I think it is time to find the time to
                    wipe the drive and do a fresh install. My Linux dual-boot partition does
                    not have any of these issues. I guess you get what you pay for. Linux is
                    free so no blue screens or lock ups or slow downs! I paid for Windows so
                    I get all the joys of Windows re-boots, slow downs and lock-ups. Granted
                    XP is better than the prior versions but it does not have to be as slow
                    as it is, Linux and other OSes prove that a desktop OS does not have to
                    be that way. My Linux partition takes about as long to boot as Windows
                    (it's an older version of RedHat), but once it is up it is noticeably
                    faster.

                    Larry Hamilton
                    lmh@...
                    My Webpage

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
                      Hi Larry,

                      Bug 3. I don't know if the bug was pre-XPSP2, but in Std/Light if you
                      find ^p and replace with a space, the line is not deleted, only a
                      space is added.
                      Fix: none presently known.

                      > My HTML Reference Library broke sometime between SP1 and SP2.
                      > Installing the Visual Basic Runtime version 5 fixed it, and I
                      > suspect would have fixed it pre-SP2.

                      I suspect that you had a registry problem and reinstalling the
                      Library cleaned/cleared it up.

                      >I also have not had any trouble with CSE Validator Lite. I just
                      >tried it and it works solo or by being called by NoteTab. I even
                      >upgraded to the latest version of Lite and it still works.

                      My guess it is only the Pro or Std version and then maybe
                      isolated machines, but usually, if I have the problem it is a lot
                      more widespread than isolated (when speaking of a problem with
                      NoteTab).

                      >What I have noticed it that SP1 slowed down my system and then
                      >SP2 slowed it down a little more. I think it is time to find the
                      >time to wipe the drive and do a fresh install. My Linux dual-boot
                      >partition does not have any of these issues. I guess you get what
                      >you pay for. Linux is free so no blue screens or lock ups or slow
                      >downs! I paid for Windows so I get all the joys of Windows re-
                      >boots, slow downs and lock-ups. Granted XP is better than the
                      >prior versions but it does not have to be as slow as it is, Linux
                      >and other OSes prove that a desktop OS does not have to be that
                      >way. My Linux partition takes about as long to boot as Windows
                      >(it's an older version of RedHat), but once it is up it is
                      >noticeably faster.

                      I did not notice any startup slowness or speeding up, but my
                      programs seem to open faster. I've been real happy with XP from
                      the day I got it! I came from Win98SE, so right there it ought to
                      tell you a lot. ;)