Re: [NH] (OT) email reliability index was SORBS is out of control !

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24, 2004
      Alan wrote:
      > (NOT speaking of SORBS here as I disagree hugely over
      > SORBS of which I think to ultimately be a mistake).

      SORBS, in and of itself, probably is not a problem. So, strike out what
      i formerly said about SORBS.

      SORBS is merely a database (I think)(I'm open to correction if I'm wrong)

      Instead, problem can arise with how any info that is obtained from
      SORBS is used.

      My ISP uses sorbs as only one of their many tools. And, my ISP merely
      insert a leading tag in subject line

      {SPAM?}

      that's what get inserted into subject of email if it rate high enough.

      But I've heard that some provider block based on SORBS (I need check my
      ISP current policy discover hopefully they haven't changed their policy)

      Due to all of this, I been think of getting my own domain name and ip
      address (dyn dns or no-ip would do for now, free or cheap) In this way,
      I am the administrator of (email) policy I am no longer bound to my ISP
      and their policy.

      Trade off though is that I now must manage my own SMTP mail server and I
      would only do it if I know such server of mine to be VERY secure. (lots
      spam originate from compromised SMTP server -- a spammer rarely if ever
      uses their own equipment -- instead, they crack into what's not
      sufficiently secured so as to keep them out. -> plenty of news article
      out their (comcast zombies) for instance as a search at Google.

      --
      Alan.