[NH] Remove underline from 'link'

  • mkelly@cyberbeach.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
      Is there a valid tag for setting up a 'link' that removes the underlining from the link. I believe it has something to do with 'decoration'? What would a clip for such a tag consist of? (I am doing a humungous index within a table for a web site and it just doesn't look right with each entry underlined). Thanks!
      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
        mkelly@... wrote:

        please turn out your htmlpostings.

        you can do this with cascading style sheets but remember that html is not
        for layouting but for document structuring.

        although you can remove the underlining you will have no success when I
        look at your site - my browser doesn't understand css. you will have no
        luck with opera users - they can configure their browser to have always
        there links underlined.

        put aside you 'doesn't look right' and think about *why* links are
        underlined. have you ever looked how newbies to the web try to use sites?
        they click on logos because they have learned that logos are normally a
        link to your homesite. and they have learned that links are underlined.

        do you want to win a design prize or do you want a usable website?

        Nicole

        --
        »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
        enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
            > mkelly@... wrote:
            > the underlining from the link. I believe it has something to do
            > with 'decoration'?

            Yep and Nicole's right you have to use a stylesheet
            To get rid of all "underlining from the link" in your table
            create a class selector rule in a linked style sheet

            A.NoLine
            {
            text-decoration: none;
            }

            In the actual HTML table's links go

            <TD> <A class="NoLine" href="myLink.htm">Linked text</A></TD>

            >What would a clip for such a tag consist of? (I am doing a humungous index
            within a table

            I don't know what you mean here, I suppose you already now how to use
            Notetab search and replace but If you want more control and need to change a
            swag of selected <A> elements in your table then try the following clip.

            H=ChangeSelectedText
            ^!Set %ele%=^?[Start With this=<A]
            ^!Set %att%=^?[Add class attribute =<A class="NoLine"]
            ^$StrReplace(^%ele%;^%att%;"^$GetSelection$";False;False)$

            <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
            The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary visual aid.
            Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
            soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
              Grant wrote:
              > <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
              > The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary visual aid.
              > Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
              > soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."

              Writing websites does not mean to have the links like this
              If you want to get a description of my text click _here_
              If you want a screenshot click _here_.

              It should be
              You can get a _description_ of my text or see a _screenshot_.

              Most of the time the people who don't like them underlined find it good to
              have link and vlink in the same color. So, if you have many textlines, do
              you really go over _every_ line to get all links?

              Or wouldn't it be much easier to see at once the links, hm?

              Nicole

              --
              »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
              enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
              Anthony V. Vitale

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            • Glenn Dixon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                I'm not sure where this discussion started, but I'd like to jump in :o)

                Underlined links have become a defacto standard. I agree with Nicole that
                the "click here" lingo is a bit old and I like her examples. Also, I think
                images and buttons are perfectly valid for links, but there needs to be some
                sort of highlighting so that you KNOW it is a link. I really don't like
                sites where I have to run my mouse cursor EVERYWHERE just to discover what
                is a link and what isn't.

                > Grant wrote:
                > > <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
                > > The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary
                > visual aid.
                > > Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
                > > soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."
                >
                > Writing websites does not mean to have the links like this
                > If you want to get a description of my text click _here_
                > If you want a screenshot click _here_.
                >
                > It should be
                > You can get a _description_ of my text or see a _screenshot_.
                >
                > Most of the time the people who don't like them underlined find it good to
                > have link and vlink in the same color. So, if you have many textlines, do
                > you really go over _every_ line to get all links?
                >
                > Or wouldn't it be much easier to see at once the links, hm?
                >
                > Nicole
                >

                > --
                > »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                > enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                > Anthony V. Vitale

                > FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
                > Try something new and discover more ways to save!
                > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381
                >

                > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
              • Grey Cat
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                  > mkelly@... wrote:
                  (I am doing a humungous index within a table for a web site and it just
                  doesn't look right with each entry underlined). Thanks!</html>

                  I have found that making a few words the link so that the underline doesn't
                  go on the full description makes the visual better to my eye.

                  Cat

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                • Raymond Fitzgerald
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                    Hi all,

                    I too prefer underlining links and conceded on just one page--our Intranet's
                    site map--on which everything is a link. But an index-type page full of
                    links doesn't necessarily look bad, esp. if the length of the underlining
                    isn't too long. As an example, check out this Resources page:
                    http://stc.org/region5/asc/www/resource.htm. (I'd been trying to find "All
                    Things Web" (http://www.pantos.org/atw/) but forgot the name and lost my
                    Netscape bookmark file to boot! So naturally I was really glad this page is
                    still out there.)

                    Without underlining, you might also consider having the text change color as
                    the mouse pointer moves over each link. This'll work (at least on our site
                    with everyone on IE4):

                    onmousemove="changeSpan(this, 'red')">Text text</span></a>

                    Cheers,
                    Ray

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
                      Hi All,

                      I lost the post that had somebody asking where they could get
                      more information on Style Sheets. This is in HTMLib's basic
                      section on them:

                      NOTE : Presented here is a brief overview of the Style Sheet
                      specification. For a more complete (and possibly new) reference,
                      visit the Style Sheet resource page at the W3C (at
                      http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/). Also, Microsoft have produced
                      an excellent "Users guide to stylesheets" document avaiable from
                      the Microsoft Web Development Workshop web site at
                      http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      The NoteTab and Html List...