Re: [NH] Re: Your confirmation is needed

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
      loro wrote:

      > Why don't I get any? I feel left out now.

      Maybe Your provider got spam filters that classify the mail as spam?
      (My provider's filters let the mails pass.)

      Aaaahh, this mail is gonna trigger another of their mails ... Hey
      spammer scum, if You're reading this: Go away! We don't want You here!

      Rudi
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
        Rudolf Horbas wrote:
        > > Why don't I get any? I feel left out now.
        >
        >Maybe Your provider got spam filters that classify the mail as spam?
        >(My provider's filters let the mails pass.)

        I did get one now! Wow, I'm part of the gang again. Is it only on NTH?
        Maybe I haven't posted here in a while.

        My provider has non-working spam filters over which I have no control,
        moronic virus filters that make whole emails disappear in thin air if
        someone attaches an exe and forget to zip. Now they've blocked port 25 too
        so I can't use superior email sevices. I'm changing ISP, so you won't have
        to deal with my "spammy" email address much longer. ;-)

        Yahoo also sent me this in response to my post.

        >From: postmaster@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: failure delivery
        >To: loro-spam01-@...
        >Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:43:00 -0700
        >
        >Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
        >ntb-html@yahoogroups.com.
        >Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an
        >account

        I have too! So there.

        Lotta
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
          loro wrote:
          > Yahoo also sent me this in response to my post.

          >>From: postmaster@yahoogroups.com
          >>Subject: failure delivery
          >>To: loro-spam01-@...
          >>Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:43:00 -0700
          >>
          >>Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
          >>ntb-html@yahoogroups.com.
          >>Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an
          >>account

          I get the same in reply for every post ... And I thought it was just me.
          That's not really comforting. Something seems to be wrong in the Yahoo
          list system.

          Rudi
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
            Ed, there is no reason to switch back to such a miserably unsafe,
            virus-susceptible program such as OE.
            All mail programs have filters you can use until this is straightened out.
            Don't set yourself up as such a target by using OE by choice. I can help
            you with Outlook (Contacts have never been targeted, where the Address book
            is the normal vehicle for spreading a lot of the viruses in the past), where
            others can help you with some of the other email programs such as Netscape,
            Mozilla, Eudora, etc.

            Christine
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
              Christine,
              I have never had any problem with O.E., I have a good virus program and
              ZA and am pretty well protected. But just to be sure I started using
              Thunderbird the first of the month. It does not have a "block sender"
              as OE does, or at least I have not found it yet. And I have not yet
              found out to control the junk mail filter or the message filters.
              Probably because I do not have enough time to investigate them fully.. I
              do need to do that right away. Thanks for your offer and if you know how
              to set up Thunderbirds message filters and the junk mail filter any help
              would be greatly appreciated. I tried the junk mail filter yesterday and
              apparently all that did was mark them as they kept coming through.

              Ed

              Christine wrote:

              > Ed, there is no reason to switch back to such a miserably unsafe,
              > virus-susceptible program such as OE.
              > All mail programs have filters you can use until this is straightened out.
              > Don't set yourself up as such a target by using OE by choice. I can help
              > you with Outlook (Contacts have never been targeted, where the Address
              > book
              > is the normal vehicle for spreading a lot of the viruses in the past),
              > where
              > others can help you with some of the other email programs such as
              > Netscape,
              > Mozilla, Eudora, etc.
              >
              > Christine
              >

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > click here
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293i16k9/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092490671/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                I am afraid I don't know about Thunderbird.

                Ed, just because you >>have never had any problems with OE<< does not change
                the fact that many, many viruses are set to target the Windows Address Book,
                which is where OE stores addresses. Outlook itself uses Contacts, which to
                date have not been effected. (Give them time.) A >>good virus program<< is
                no protection from human error, and all it takes is too quick a look and
                thinking something is from a name or place we know and heretofore trust to
                kick in one of those awful messages and their virulent behavior.

                Perhaps someone here will help you with Thunderbird.

                Christine
              • rbmooney
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                  Do you mean to say, Christine, that we have additional things to worry about when using OE? Your line that reads, in part, "until this is straightened out" refers to what exactly. And how can you help with OE if Gates et al continue to "'mess with it." I use OE but I also have many defensive programs running in the background. Is that what you're talking about? My ISP (Bellsouth.net) is very poor about working with their customers and anti-spam technique and their very inept anti-spam blocker. They block very little. I will soon be changing ISP's. Thanks.

                  Blake
                  rbmooney

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                    Like Lotta I wasn't getting them - maybe this will trigger one :-( :-)

                    re the >> Subject: failure delivery. I don't get that *touch wood* but even
                    worse IMO is when my ISP kicks back an email (usually one with an "valid"
                    attachment from other groups that use them somewhat legitimately) and then
                    yahoo-puts me in hard-bounce and a couple of days later I notice and have to
                    go read mail on the web to catch up.

                    Regards ... Alec

                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                      I was referring to the ezine responses and Yahoo! rejection notices.
                      I never give a damn about OE and figure those who are told the risks and
                      continue to use it deserve what they get. However, their email targets do
                      not. I never said I could or would help with that. I said I can help with
                      Outlook, as in the full, separate PIM, vs. OE the newsgroup reader
                      integrated into IE. Have you ever thought about why so many ISPs use OE as
                      their shell? Its because it is so easy to program/manipulate around,
                      through, into, and with.

                      Rather than changing ISPs -- although why not? They do stink -- I would
                      look into a decent Personal Information Manager (PIM) to help avoid some of
                      the things that OE makes so easier for spammers, virus creators, etc.

                      Just my opinion and experience talking.

                      Christine
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                        Hi Christine,

                        Please refrain from cussing and belittling others. TIA

                        >...OE and figure those who are told the risks and continue to use
                        >it deserve what they get.

                        Happy html'n!

                        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                      • John Zeman
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                          > Hi Christine,
                          >
                          > Please refrain from cussing and belittling others. TIA

                          Jody with all due respect, I do believe you have been using very poor
                          judgement this week in managing the NoteTab groups.

                          I have been a member of the NoteTab forums now for about 4 years, I
                          know the rules, and I'm sure Christine knows the rules as well.

                          Yet you've publicly admonished the both of us this week, and I see no
                          reason why either admonishment was warranted.

                          On the basic board, I simply did what you and the others did not do.
                          I actually answered Mr. John Fitzsimons question within the
                          parameters he asked it. True, I mentioned regular expressions, but I
                          did not go into any detail about them.

                          What did I get for my efforts?

                          A public embarrassment from you.

                          The ultimate insult was when you said you've already accepted the
                          apology I'll never give you.

                          And now you have done almost the same thing to Christine, albeit for
                          a different thing.

                          Unless you remove me, I'm still going to remain a member of these
                          forums, although I don't have any reason to stay here other than to
                          fulfill my desire to help others learn this incredible NoteTab tool.
                          Right now, I really don't feel much like contributing however. And
                          my guess is, Christine won't feel very motivated to help others out
                          now either.

                          And finally, I never would have posted this publicly, but public
                          whippings seem to be your chosen method of discipline these days so
                          I'm putting my rebuttal out for all to see as well.

                          I do apologize, I just needed to vent. I have no grudge against you,
                          but I think you have made some amazingly poor judgments lately.

                          John Zeman
                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                            Belittle?
                            Sorry if the truth strikes a cord with someone who chooses to use OE then
                            whines about it. (Not that Ed or Blake were whining.) It is like moving in
                            next to an airport and complaining about the traffic, moving to CA and
                            complaining about the earthquakes, or Florida and their hurricanes. At
                            least in my opinion. Belittle? No. To belittle is to make fun of someone
                            for something they can do nothing about. That, I was not doing and would
                            not.

                            Bell South is overwhelmingly crappy around here, which is also a statement
                            of opinion and unfortunately all to frequently, fact.

                            So I am sorry about the 'd@mn' word. I should have used the word 'darned'.
                            I live in Washington, DC and should be used to the PC police and living in
                            fear of potential, usually unrealized offences. No, actually I'm lying. I
                            am not sorry, but I will consider your interesting choice and venue of
                            reprimand and will not use the word (here) again.

                            So, as list honcho, I'm glad to finally see you're gonna do something about
                            the actual topic of these threads. The Ezine autoresponse and the Yahoo!
                            rejection notice? I wondered that it has gone on so long, seemingly without
                            being addressed.

                            TIA to you, too! :)
                            Christine

                            Please refrain from cussing and belittling others. TIA

                            >...OE and figure those who are told the risks and continue to use
                            >it deserve what they get.

                            Happy html'n!
                            Jody
                          • rbmooney
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 13, 2004
                              Neil,
                              It's getting easier for me to tell when these programmers have had a bad day. Christine is well known as a very original coder but she seldom got riled until late. She blows up when someone brings up politicians--she wants them all in stockades--but esp. the zaniness of the US Gov't's priorities. She also is the one with a personal civil lawsuit against Gates et al about their sloppy coding of OE and the gross "broken code" gaps that are common knowledge to every high school hacker. She told me she now limts her daily production to 90 lines of code--take it or leave it, she tells the others at YAHOO. A very sardonic woman.
                              Blake
                              rbmooney

                              Please refrain from cussing and belittling others. TIA

                              >...OE and figure those who are told the risks and continue to use
                              >it deserve what they get.

                              Happy html'n!
                              Jody

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Christine
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                It is hard to tell when someone is joking without emoticons, so I must
                                assume you're not.
                                You have e confused, totally, with someone else!
                                Blow up I do not, rant, perhaps. I don't care about the government unless
                                they invade my or someone else's bedroom. I have no suit, might code more or
                                less that 90 lines of code -- if I code at all, since I'm also not known at
                                all as any type of coder at all.
                                Exchange Admin, Yoga teacher, Bartender, Gardener, Pet Rescue-er and Owner?
                                Yes. All you mentioned, some of which Id love to be, no.

                                Christine

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                  Hi Christine,
                                  As for me no offense taken. But you are right even if you are politely
                                  trying to tell someone to shove it, you need to do it with a smile at
                                  least. ;-> an emoticon that is. I am sorry to hear that BellSouth is
                                  not the same there as it is here. I had the greater support from
                                  BellSouth than other ISP that I have ever been with. But then I am way
                                  down in MS perhaps that is the reason. And if I prefer OE for various
                                  or any reason that is my personal choice. But because it is a potential
                                  virus nest I have dropped it and IE also. But they sure had some good
                                  features that I miss.

                                  I am also trying to get Mandrake 10 working but until it performs as
                                  easily as Microsoft OSes then I will stick with MS because it takes too
                                  long to perform the same job when using Linux. I do not have the luxury
                                  of taking longer to do a job. If Linux ever wants to hit on all
                                  cylinders it will have to work as easily as does Microsoft. I have
                                  downloaded apps in Linux and still have not been able to get them
                                  working. You ask a Linux expert what you need to do and all they will
                                  say is google it. Heck, if I had time to google it I would not have
                                  asked in the first place. When I download app or program and can simply
                                  click on it to get it to work then I will take a longer look at Linux.
                                  Until then, it just another toy to play with imnsho. :-!
                                  Kindest Regards
                                  Ed

                                  Christine wrote:

                                  > It is hard to tell when someone is joking without emoticons, so I must
                                  > assume you're not.
                                  > You have e confused, totally, with someone else!
                                  > Blow up I do not, rant, perhaps. I don't care about the government unless
                                  > they invade my or someone else's bedroom. I have no suit, might code
                                  > more or
                                  > less that 90 lines of code -- if I code at all, since I'm also not
                                  > known at
                                  > all as any type of coder at all.
                                  > Exchange Admin, Yoga teacher, Bartender, Gardener, Pet Rescue-er and
                                  > Owner?
                                  > Yes. All you mentioned, some of which Id love to be, no.
                                  >
                                  > Christine
                                • Christine
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                    What a vicious circle, Ed! I would throw some of the MS products over in a
                                    heartbeat, too, if other things were as smoothly integrated and/or actually
                                    worked. I was fiddling with an old copy of OS2 the other day. Almost --
                                    but not quite -- missed the simplicity of it and Windows 3.1 for a quick
                                    moment. Then I got over it. Being a hardware geek (not the programmer
                                    Blake thought I was), I don't miss I/O fiddling, and think PnP is a huge
                                    improvement IF you know how to tweak it.

                                    I wonder what makes one a Linux expert? An expertise in Googling? In that
                                    case, we would all be considered experts. What you described is as
                                    frustration as a MS or some so-called support person demanding you reboot
                                    when it is TOTAllY unnecessary.

                                    So it goes....

                                    Christine
                                  • rbmooney
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                      Christine,
                                      Yes...I apologize for the errors in my original message. I meant the email for another though agreeing with 90% of your statement. The other person was or is a programmer and your email reminded me of her. All this took place while a fellow NTer and I were running comparison checks on his super machine and I was performing the same "test" on my "closeted" TRS80 using their software TRSDOS as in "TRSDOS-READY." We had to type in a 500 word poem and a 2-column list of numbers. He had massive memory and speed, I had 64K memory and, as Einstein said: 'All things are relative and go by comparison,' some speed through the simplicity of design and simple barebones capacity of my $3500 Tandy "prize." I type about 70 wpm, he does about the same. As I sped along I kept reminding myself that I had written my best novel on this same "Trash80," and that he would be slowed by the complexity of his behemoth like a bull in a china closet. I got nervous as I raced through the text portion and tackled the 2-columns of numbers. So I thought of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon using just such a "computer" as the one I was "testing." I finally completed the test in just under 9 minutes. The honor system prevailed and we sent emails the instant either finished depending on the email time stamp for authentication. About 2 minutes later he replied and said "Well...when I hit that ENTER key while in the database, brought the columns over to WORD, I staggered a bit. Lost some time there. But with rehearsals I know I can beat your socks off. And I'd toast you in graphics!" I reminded him that that wasn't the purpose of the test. We're still good friends. My point was that it only took 64K to write a novel. The reason this is so is because the human brain can only think up fictional problems and solutions so fast: the computer is actually irrelevant to a writer as far as creativity goes. Except--that a basic and simple computer and word processor makes it so much easier on the writer by it's inability to "intrude on one's thoughts." The simple basic ideas have nothing to do in that department. There's the key. Friends build 64K machines as gifts around here and some are pretty good for $50-$65 price range. They're 6" by 8" by 3" in OS measurement. So I'll order a huge case next week and will anchor one of these jewels onto the floor of the unit and install 3 huge fans for proper sound effect. Reinstalling TRSDOS will be simple. Much easier than the "test." Here, for historical purposes and "The Rare Old Times" is a list of ERROR messages one encountered when using the famous Model 4 TRS80:

                                      ERROR CODES Copyright © 1998 Pete Cervasio
                                      The following is a list of the TRSDOS/LS-DOS error codes.

                                      00 No error
                                      01 Parity error during header read
                                      02 Seek error during read
                                      03 Lost data during read
                                      04 Parity error during read
                                      05 Data record not found during read

                                      06 Attempted to read system data record
                                      07 Attempted to read locked/deleted data record
                                      08 Device not available
                                      09 Parity error during header write
                                      10 Seek error during write

                                      11 Lost data during write
                                      12 Parity error during write
                                      13 Data record not found during write
                                      14 Write fault on disk drive
                                      15 Write protected disk

                                      16 Illegal logical file number
                                      17 Directory read error
                                      18 Directory write error
                                      19 Illegal file name
                                      20 GAT read error

                                      21 GAT write error
                                      22 HIT read error
                                      23 HIT write error
                                      24 File not in directory
                                      25 File access denied

                                      26 No directory space available
                                      27 Disk space full
                                      28 End of file encountered
                                      29 Record number out of range
                                      30 Directory full - can't extend file

                                      31 Program not found
                                      32 Illegal drive number
                                      33 No device space available
                                      34 Load file format error

                                      37 Illegal access attempted to protected file
                                      38 File not open
                                      39 Device in use
                                      40 Protected system device

                                      41 File already open
                                      42 Logical record length open fault
                                      43 SVC parameter error
                                      44 Parameter error

                                      63 Extended error
                                      -- Unknown error code
                                      Blake
                                      rbmooney

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                        Christine wrote:
                                        [ . . ]
                                        > I wonder what makes one a Linux expert? [ . . ] What you described is as
                                        > frustration [ . . ].

                                        two camps. 1. the Linux geek to whom it not matter, nothing to
                                        advertise, etc. knows the value of Linux but well, say, is impatient,
                                        not at all into recruiting. 2. Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, and some others
                                        (not all distributions) a desktop movement in direction of Linux on the
                                        desktop (to perhaps be another and/or/also alternate to the platform
                                        from Redmond)

                                        I use both of Win and *nix. I think each have its own niche. I'm yet
                                        to try out Notetab to be running on a Win simulator but ultimately on Linux

                                        http://www.linuxquestions.org

                                        ## Slashdot
                                        "http://slashdot.org/slashdot.rdf" => "slashdot.rdf",
                                        ## internet-news

                                        "http://www.internetnews.com/icom_includes/feeds/inews/xml_front-10.xml"
                                        => "internet-news.rdf",
                                        ## Linux Today
                                        "http://linuxtoday.com/backend/my-netscape.rdf" => "linuxtoday.rdf",
                                        ## Linux Planet
                                        "http://www.linuxplanet.com/rss" => "linuxplanet.rdf",
                                        ## Desktop Linux
                                        "http://www.desktoplinux.com/backend/headlines.rdf" =>
                                        "dsktoplinux.rdf",
                                        ## OS News
                                        "http://www.osnews.com/files/recent.rdf" => "osnews.rdf",

                                        feed=http://osdir.com/backend2.php?cat=205;OsDir-Perl;1
                                        feed=http://www.linux.com/index.rss;Linux-dot-com;1
                                        feed=http://rootprompt.org/rss/;Root-Prompt-org;1
                                        feed=http://www.lockergnome.com/rss/linux.php;lGnome-Linux;1
                                        --
                                        I snagged those from my two rss news clients my Linux machine. Each
                                        also has a web site if want to use web browser instead of rss client.
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                          Play around with Linux and WINE I did get Notetab up and running but I
                                          did not try any thing much, just wrote a basic HTML program and it
                                          worked. It would be great if Linux would come on so you could just
                                          click on a program and have it open. But time is of an essence with me
                                          and I do not.
                                          Ed

                                        • sisterscape
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 14, 2004
                                            I'm a wannabe Linux user too. Have it installed on a second computer
                                            and play with it off and on but . . . the steep learning curve has kept
                                            me from using it as my primary system. Maybe one of these days . . .

                                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                          • Christine
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 15, 2004
                                              That is my problem, too, sisterscape.
                                              I can fix a Windows problem faster than I can each myself to use linux. The
                                              devil you know ....

                                              Christine