Re: [NH] Tidy Error Report

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
      John Zeman wrote:

      > -
      > This is true. Error checkers, even the best ones, tend to cascade
      > and the messages can quickly become very confusing. A tip in
      > debugging is to zero in on the very first error found in the
      > document. Resolving that one may very well resolve other "apparent"
      > errors as well.

      > John,
      >
      > I find that the w3c validators are the same way and should have
      > suspected it. The only validator that I ever used that did not do that
      > is when I was using the HomeSite Editor. Their validator only found
      > the errors you made.

      Ed

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291c8h3n/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092451642/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351>

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
        Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
        changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
        like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
        harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

        --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:
        > (That's why I prefer to check the errors Tidy finds and fix them
        > myself, instead of letting it try to do it by itself... sometimes
        > it
        > will fix all fine, but in other occasions you might end up with a
        > bigger, harder-to-fix mess)
        >
        > --
        > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
          sisterscape wrote:
          > Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
          > changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
          > like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
          > harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

          Hint: The line numbers that tidy shows in the error report are from the
          original file (before the tidying).
          So always do a CTRL+Z before looking for the errors.

          Tidy is definitely not a genius, but by its easy integration in NTP it's
          always at hand.
          (My bigger editor, Active State's Komodo, has a tidy "built in" as a
          permanent spell checker that underlines syntax errors while typing.)

          Rudi
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
            Rudolf Horbas wrote:
            > sisterscape wrote:
            >
            >>Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
            >>changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
            >>like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
            >>harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

            Tidy is very nice, but FWIW I use CSE HTML Validator Pro
            (http://htmlvalidator.com) for my code checking. To me,
            it's far and away the best reasonably priced validator
            for the Windows platform. One big thing is that I usually
            don't want my code "tidied" (I'm pretty anal about it
            already), but I just want it validated.

            That said, as others have noted, errors do indeed tend to
            cascade, so fixing errors near the start of the file often
            resolves errors later in the doc. It's a not a Tide issue,
            per se, and just about any validator will show errors that
            are a result of cascading issues.

            Scott