Tidy Error Report

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
      Hi Everyone,
      After I cleared up all the other errors the errors listed below
      disappeared. Why were they listed as errors in the first place?
      Ed

      line 64 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 72 column 137 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 87 column 183 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 98 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 116 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 126 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 136 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 163 column 119 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
        On 12/8/2004 22:36, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Hi Everyone,
        >After I cleared up all the other errors the errors listed below
        >disappeared. Why were they listed as errors in the first place?
        >Ed

        Oh, that. Well, Tidy is good, but it's not a genius. Sometimes an error
        will throw it on the wrong direction, and it will begin interpreting
        everything that comes later in the wrong manner. For instance:

        Say you forgot to close a <b> element on the top of the page. Tidy
        might interpret it as meaning that you wanted to have the WHOLE page
        in bold. So, it will start doing stuff like inserting <b></b> element
        pairs in each and every paragraph... and complaining all the way.
        Something similar might have happened to you there; the error was
        actually in an earlier part of the page, not where it was
        complaining. When you fixed the original error, these "descendant"
        errors disappeared along with it.

        (That's why I prefer to check the errors Tidy finds and fix them
        myself, instead of letting it try to do it by itself... sometimes it
        will fix all fine, but in other occasions you might end up with a
        bigger, harder-to-fix mess)

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          <mcblista@t...> wrote:

          >Oh, that. Well, Tidy is good, but it's not a genius. Sometimes an
          error
          > will throw it on the wrong direction, and it will begin
          interpreting
          > everything that comes later in the wrong manner.

          This is true. Error checkers, even the best ones, tend to cascade
          and the messages can quickly become very confusing. A tip in
          debugging is to zero in on the very first error found in the
          document. Resolving that one may very well resolve other "apparent"
          errors as well.

          John
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
            John Zeman wrote:

            > -
            > This is true. Error checkers, even the best ones, tend to cascade
            > and the messages can quickly become very confusing. A tip in
            > debugging is to zero in on the very first error found in the
            > document. Resolving that one may very well resolve other "apparent"
            > errors as well.

            > John,
            >
            > I find that the w3c validators are the same way and should have
            > suspected it. The only validator that I ever used that did not do that
            > is when I was using the HomeSite Editor. Their validator only found
            > the errors you made.

            Ed

            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291c8h3n/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092451642/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351>

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2004
              Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
              changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
              like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
              harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

              --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:
              > (That's why I prefer to check the errors Tidy finds and fix them
              > myself, instead of letting it try to do it by itself... sometimes
              > it
              > will fix all fine, but in other occasions you might end up with a
              > bigger, harder-to-fix mess)
              >
              > --
              > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
                sisterscape wrote:
                > Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
                > changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
                > like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
                > harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

                Hint: The line numbers that tidy shows in the error report are from the
                original file (before the tidying).
                So always do a CTRL+Z before looking for the errors.

                Tidy is definitely not a genius, but by its easy integration in NTP it's
                always at hand.
                (My bigger editor, Active State's Komodo, has a tidy "built in" as a
                permanent spell checker that underlines syntax errors while typing.)

                Rudi
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2004
                  Rudolf Horbas wrote:
                  > sisterscape wrote:
                  >
                  >>Agreed. When I Tidy a document and there are errors, I always undo the
                  >>changes Tidy made and correct them manually one by one. This may seem
                  >>like a waste of time but after dealing with a few "bigger,
                  >>harder-to-fix messes", I decided it's well worth the effort.

                  Tidy is very nice, but FWIW I use CSE HTML Validator Pro
                  (http://htmlvalidator.com) for my code checking. To me,
                  it's far and away the best reasonably priced validator
                  for the Windows platform. One big thing is that I usually
                  don't want my code "tidied" (I'm pretty anal about it
                  already), but I just want it validated.

                  That said, as others have noted, errors do indeed tend to
                  cascade, so fixing errors near the start of the file often
                  resolves errors later in the doc. It's a not a Tide issue,
                  per se, and just about any validator will show errors that
                  are a result of cascading issues.

                  Scott