HTML-Tidy error

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
      Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

      I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)

      What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
      HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?
      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      "Just the facts, maam."
      Sgt. Joe Friday,
      LAPD Badge #714
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
        Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
        available) on his page, at:
        http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
        There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
        The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
        I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
        server main pages, or behind members only walls.
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
          Got it, Thanks!!
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
            Jeff,
            Mine downloaded very easily from where I clicked on it. I did not even
            try any of the mirrors.
            Ed
            Jeff Scism wrote:

            > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
            > available) on his page, at:
            > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
            > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
            > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
            > I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
            > server main pages, or behind members only walls.
            > --
            > ~~
            >
            > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
            >
            > "Just the facts, maam."
            > Sgt. Joe Friday,
            > LAPD Badge #714
            >

            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297d8kdg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092422392/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
              On 12/8/2004 15:23, Jeff Scism invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

              >Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
              >
              >I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)
              >
              >What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
              >HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?

              It's looking for a "summary" attribute. "Summary" is for tables kinda
              like "alt" is for images -- you are supposed to insert a little
              descriptive text there, saying what kind of data this table contains, in
              order to improve accessibility.

              For instance, a blind user using a text reader, would like to know what
              is this table about in order to decide if she would prefer to skip it
              entirely, instead of having to tab field by numbingly boring field
              trying to figure it out.

              Basic syntax is about the same as the "alt" and "title" attributes --
              just do something like this:

              Note that, like "alt" attributes, the lack of "summary" won't keep
              your code from validating (if it's otherwise standards-compliant, that
              is). Also, note that browsers won't render "summary" as tooltips, as
              Internet Explorer does with "alt" (which, by the way, is not
              recommended; "alt" should be used for text to be displayed INSTEAD
              of the image, such as for blind users or for people who prefer to
              disable images to speed browsing; if you want a tooltip, use "title"
              instead).

              By the way, accessibility is a very good reason to avoid using
              tables for layout. CSS does it in a much better, fluider and cleaner
              way, and doesn't get in the way of screen readers. It also works better
              with small-screen rendering agents, like cellphone and palmtop browsers.

              --
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos