Re: [NH] Re: [NTO] new page up Was NTO now ntb-html

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:

      > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
      > available) on his page, at:
      > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
      > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
      > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
      >

      > --
      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

      Thanks it works great. I downloaded Cory Nelson build set for windows.
      Very easy. Thanks very much.
      Ed
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
        Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

        I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)

        What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
        HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
          Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
          available) on his page, at:
          http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
          There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
          The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
          I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
          server main pages, or behind members only walls.
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
            Got it, Thanks!!
            --
            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            "Just the facts, maam."
            Sgt. Joe Friday,
            LAPD Badge #714
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
              Jeff,
              Mine downloaded very easily from where I clicked on it. I did not even
              try any of the mirrors.
              Ed
              Jeff Scism wrote:

              > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
              > available) on his page, at:
              > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
              > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
              > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
              > I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
              > server main pages, or behind members only walls.
              > --
              > ~~
              >
              > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
              >
              > "Just the facts, maam."
              > Sgt. Joe Friday,
              > LAPD Badge #714
              >

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > click here
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297d8kdg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092422392/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                On 12/8/2004 15:23, Jeff Scism invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                >Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
                >
                >I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)
                >
                >What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
                >HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?

                It's looking for a "summary" attribute. "Summary" is for tables kinda
                like "alt" is for images -- you are supposed to insert a little
                descriptive text there, saying what kind of data this table contains, in
                order to improve accessibility.

                For instance, a blind user using a text reader, would like to know what
                is this table about in order to decide if she would prefer to skip it
                entirely, instead of having to tab field by numbingly boring field
                trying to figure it out.

                Basic syntax is about the same as the "alt" and "title" attributes --
                just do something like this:

                Note that, like "alt" attributes, the lack of "summary" won't keep
                your code from validating (if it's otherwise standards-compliant, that
                is). Also, note that browsers won't render "summary" as tooltips, as
                Internet Explorer does with "alt" (which, by the way, is not
                recommended; "alt" should be used for text to be displayed INSTEAD
                of the image, such as for blind users or for people who prefer to
                disable images to speed browsing; if you want a tooltip, use "title"
                instead).

                By the way, accessibility is a very good reason to avoid using
                tables for layout. CSS does it in a much better, fluider and cleaner
                way, and doesn't get in the way of screen readers. It also works better
                with small-screen rendering agents, like cellphone and palmtop browsers.

                --
                Marcelo de Castro Bastos