Re: [NH] Re: [NTO] new page up Was NTO now ntb-html

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      just tidied "http://www.hallfamilygen.com/Barham.html" ("Notetab ->
      Tools -> Tidy HTML Code" or "CTRL+F7").

      Here's the results (shortened):

      <!-- ---------------TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
      line 20 column 23 - Warning: discarding unexpected </h>
      line 20 column 27 - Warning: missing </h3> before <table>
      line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
      line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
      line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
      line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
      line 67 column 141 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 75 column 105 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
      line 77 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

      <!-- ---------------/TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->

      You got a few good reasons to straighten out Your code.
      Why not use css while You're at it? ;-)

      Rudi
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
        Rudi,
        Thanks a million. Just what I needed. You asked why I did not use CSS.
        I am the most inconsistant person you ever saw. Actually I am using it
        on this page, but it had been so long since I updated this page I had
        forgotten that I was using it. I am in the process of going to CSS on
        all my different pages, but right now some of my urls have it and some
        do not. Hopefully as I get the time, I will shift everything to CSS,
        Div and Tables. Glad you sent the tidy out put as it will be of great
        assistance. Thank you so much.
        Kindest Regards
        Ed
        PS I have tried to get tidy to work in NoteTab Pro but so far no
        success. I go to W3c and look for it but I never find a button that says
        click here to download tidy. I use W3c to test my code but I did not do
        that. Too tired, I guess. I just completed a drive of over 1000 miles
        in 4 days ( At age 77 this takes a lot of out of one) and when I arrived
        home again had a lot of genealogy work to do for people that I promised
        to do look ups and other things including the Barham page. Too many
        irons in the fire and none of them hot. :-).

        Rudolf Horbas wrote:

        > Hi Ed,
        >
        > just tidied "http://www.hallfamilygen.com/Barham.html" ("Notetab ->
        > Tools -> Tidy HTML Code" or "CTRL+F7").
        >
        > Here's the results (shortened):
        >
        > <!-- ---------------TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
        > line 20 column 23 - Warning: discarding unexpected </h>
        > line 20 column 27 - Warning: missing </h3> before <table>
        > line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
        > line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
        > line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
        > line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
        > line 67 column 141 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
        > line 75 column 105 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
        > line 77 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
        >
        > <!-- ---------------/TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
        >
        > You got a few good reasons to straighten out Your code.
        > Why not use css while You're at it? ;-)
        >
        > Rudi
        >
        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129evotva/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092383161/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
          On 12/8/2004 11:59, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >PS I have tried to get tidy to work in NoteTab Pro but so far no
          >success. I go to W3c and look for it but I never find a button that says
          >click here to download tidy. I use W3c to test my code but I did not do
          >that. Too tired, I guess. I just completed a drive of over 1000 miles
          >in 4 days ( At age 77 this takes a lot of out of one) and when I arrived
          >home again had a lot of genealogy work to do for people that I promised
          >to do look ups and other things including the Barham page. Too many
          >irons in the fire and none of them hot. :-).

          The best place to get HTMLTidy, generally speaking, is at the
          SourceForge project page, at:
          http://tidy.sourceforge.net

          However, this is a Unix/Linux/BSD-centric page, so you might not always
          find the current Windows builds there.

          Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
          available) on his page, at:
          http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
          There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
          The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.

          Alternatively, you may find a slightly older build by Terry Teague on
          the Sourceforge page itself, at
          http://tidy.sourceforge.net/trt/tidy_win32.zip

          Some people prefer to work with the "original" version by Dave Raggett,
          which can be found at:
          http://tidy.sourceforge.net/other/tidy04aug00.exe
          (Personally, I prefer a current build. Lots of new stuff were added
          since Raggett stopped working on it)

          To setup... well, the simplest way is to just unpack the ZIP file
          (if needed), rename the file to tidy.exe (if neccessary) and copy it to
          the Notetab/Notetab Pro program folder. Calling it from inside Notetab
          should work immediately.

          --
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
            Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:

            > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
            > available) on his page, at:
            > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
            > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
            > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
            >

            > --
            > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

            Thanks it works great. I downloaded Cory Nelson build set for windows.
            Very easy. Thanks very much.
            Ed
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
              Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

              I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)

              What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
              HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?
              --
              ~~

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              "Just the facts, maam."
              Sgt. Joe Friday,
              LAPD Badge #714
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
                available) on his page, at:
                http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
                There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
                The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
                I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
                server main pages, or behind members only walls.
                --
                ~~

                Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                "Just the facts, maam."
                Sgt. Joe Friday,
                LAPD Badge #714
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                  Got it, Thanks!!
                  --
                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  "Just the facts, maam."
                  Sgt. Joe Friday,
                  LAPD Badge #714
                • Ed Brown
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                    Jeff,
                    Mine downloaded very easily from where I clicked on it. I did not even
                    try any of the mirrors.
                    Ed
                    Jeff Scism wrote:

                    > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
                    > available) on his page, at:
                    > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
                    > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
                    > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
                    > I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
                    > server main pages, or behind members only walls.
                    > --
                    > ~~
                    >
                    > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
                    >
                    > "Just the facts, maam."
                    > Sgt. Joe Friday,
                    > LAPD Badge #714
                    >

                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                    > click here
                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297d8kdg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092422392/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

                  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                      On 12/8/2004 15:23, Jeff Scism invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                      >Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
                      >
                      >I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)
                      >
                      >What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
                      >HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?

                      It's looking for a "summary" attribute. "Summary" is for tables kinda
                      like "alt" is for images -- you are supposed to insert a little
                      descriptive text there, saying what kind of data this table contains, in
                      order to improve accessibility.

                      For instance, a blind user using a text reader, would like to know what
                      is this table about in order to decide if she would prefer to skip it
                      entirely, instead of having to tab field by numbingly boring field
                      trying to figure it out.

                      Basic syntax is about the same as the "alt" and "title" attributes --
                      just do something like this:

                      Note that, like "alt" attributes, the lack of "summary" won't keep
                      your code from validating (if it's otherwise standards-compliant, that
                      is). Also, note that browsers won't render "summary" as tooltips, as
                      Internet Explorer does with "alt" (which, by the way, is not
                      recommended; "alt" should be used for text to be displayed INSTEAD
                      of the image, such as for blind users or for people who prefer to
                      disable images to speed browsing; if you want a tooltip, use "title"
                      instead).

                      By the way, accessibility is a very good reason to avoid using
                      tables for layout. CSS does it in a much better, fluider and cleaner
                      way, and doesn't get in the way of screen readers. It also works better
                      with small-screen rendering agents, like cellphone and palmtop browsers.

                      --
                      Marcelo de Castro Bastos