Re: [NTO] new page up Was NTO now ntb-html

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2004
      Alec,
      Maybe I should be concerned about websafe, but so many people have
      computers now that reproduce most any color that I use what ever color I
      like. Once I would never put up a page if it was not websafe. No
      longer true for me.

      Awwwwwwwwwwwww you just found the problem. Colormania says #FCFBDC a
      light click on and so I looked at my CSS which states that the page
      should be #FCFBDC althought I meant it to be #FFFFF0. The table is
      supposed to be #FFFFF0 and it is. But CSS has changed the color that I
      intended my web page to be to the correct color or the color of all the
      other pages. So now I go back to the page and change the color in the
      table cells to be FCFBDC.

      Thanks Alec.
      Ed

      Alec Burgess wrote:

      > Ed:
      >
      > Have you found a fix since you posted your question?
      > I just checked in IE6, FireFox and Opera and in all three the page
      > background looks kind of beige with the table a kind of blueish white
      > (definitely *NOT* "white")
      >
      > In IE6 according to ColorCop your table background is: 252,251,220 and the
      > page background is 255,255,240 (neither of which is "websafe" according to
      > it.)
      >
      > Color Cop http://www.datastic.com/tools/colorcop/proposal.php
      >
      > ColorMania : Colorpicker by BlackSun Software
      > http://users.pandora.be/eclypse/colormania.html shows Hex notation and
      > calls
      > them:
      > #FCFBDC and #FFFFF0 respectively.
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
      > --

    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > Awwwwwwwwwwwww you just found the problem. Colormania says #FCFBDC a
        > light click on and so I looked at my CSS which states that the page
        > should be #FCFBDC althought I meant it to be #FFFFF0. The table is
        > supposed to be #FFFFF0 and it is. But CSS has changed the color that I
        > intended my web page to be to the correct color or the color of all the
        > other pages. So now I go back to the page and change the color in the
        > table cells to be FCFBDC.

        Ed,

        why are You mixing color attributes and css?
        If You were consistent and sticked to css,
        1. the problem hadn't turned up at all
        2. if there was a problem, it would be easy to fix.

        IMO constructs like

        nowrap><span style="font-family:Georgia; #000000 font-size: 6pt;
        font-weight: bold;">Husband</span></td>

        are just plain horror.

        Why not use

        <!-- genealogy.css -->

        th.foo
        {
        background-color:#FCFBDC;
        font-family:Georgia;
        /* !!! You got a bug here ("color:" missing): !!!*/
        color:#000000;
        font-size:6pt;
        font-weight: bold;
        text-align:left;
        }

        <!-- Barham.html -->

        <th class="foo">Husband</th>

        BTW, the missing "color:" bug occurs several times. That's why the 6pt
        aren't interpreted (too small anyway).

        Rudi
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          just tidied "http://www.hallfamilygen.com/Barham.html" ("Notetab ->
          Tools -> Tidy HTML Code" or "CTRL+F7").

          Here's the results (shortened):

          <!-- ---------------TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
          line 20 column 23 - Warning: discarding unexpected </h>
          line 20 column 27 - Warning: missing </h3> before <table>
          line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
          line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
          line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
          line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
          line 67 column 141 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
          line 75 column 105 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
          line 77 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

          <!-- ---------------/TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->

          You got a few good reasons to straighten out Your code.
          Why not use css while You're at it? ;-)

          Rudi
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
            Rudi,
            Thanks a million. Just what I needed. You asked why I did not use CSS.
            I am the most inconsistant person you ever saw. Actually I am using it
            on this page, but it had been so long since I updated this page I had
            forgotten that I was using it. I am in the process of going to CSS on
            all my different pages, but right now some of my urls have it and some
            do not. Hopefully as I get the time, I will shift everything to CSS,
            Div and Tables. Glad you sent the tidy out put as it will be of great
            assistance. Thank you so much.
            Kindest Regards
            Ed
            PS I have tried to get tidy to work in NoteTab Pro but so far no
            success. I go to W3c and look for it but I never find a button that says
            click here to download tidy. I use W3c to test my code but I did not do
            that. Too tired, I guess. I just completed a drive of over 1000 miles
            in 4 days ( At age 77 this takes a lot of out of one) and when I arrived
            home again had a lot of genealogy work to do for people that I promised
            to do look ups and other things including the Barham page. Too many
            irons in the fire and none of them hot. :-).

            Rudolf Horbas wrote:

            > Hi Ed,
            >
            > just tidied "http://www.hallfamilygen.com/Barham.html" ("Notetab ->
            > Tools -> Tidy HTML Code" or "CTRL+F7").
            >
            > Here's the results (shortened):
            >
            > <!-- ---------------TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
            > line 20 column 23 - Warning: discarding unexpected </h>
            > line 20 column 27 - Warning: missing </h3> before <table>
            > line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
            > line 30 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
            > line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "(null)"
            > line 50 column 1 - Warning: <table> unknown attribute value "background="
            > line 67 column 141 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
            > line 75 column 105 - Warning: missing </span> before </td>
            > line 77 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
            >
            > <!-- ---------------/TIDY OUTPUT-------------------- -->
            >
            > You got a few good reasons to straighten out Your code.
            > Why not use css while You're at it? ;-)
            >
            > Rudi
            >
            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129evotva/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092383161/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
              On 12/8/2004 11:59, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

              >PS I have tried to get tidy to work in NoteTab Pro but so far no
              >success. I go to W3c and look for it but I never find a button that says
              >click here to download tidy. I use W3c to test my code but I did not do
              >that. Too tired, I guess. I just completed a drive of over 1000 miles
              >in 4 days ( At age 77 this takes a lot of out of one) and when I arrived
              >home again had a lot of genealogy work to do for people that I promised
              >to do look ups and other things including the Barham page. Too many
              >irons in the fire and none of them hot. :-).

              The best place to get HTMLTidy, generally speaking, is at the
              SourceForge project page, at:
              http://tidy.sourceforge.net

              However, this is a Unix/Linux/BSD-centric page, so you might not always
              find the current Windows builds there.

              Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
              available) on his page, at:
              http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
              There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
              The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.

              Alternatively, you may find a slightly older build by Terry Teague on
              the Sourceforge page itself, at
              http://tidy.sourceforge.net/trt/tidy_win32.zip

              Some people prefer to work with the "original" version by Dave Raggett,
              which can be found at:
              http://tidy.sourceforge.net/other/tidy04aug00.exe
              (Personally, I prefer a current build. Lots of new stuff were added
              since Raggett stopped working on it)

              To setup... well, the simplest way is to just unpack the ZIP file
              (if needed), rename the file to tidy.exe (if neccessary) and copy it to
              the Notetab/Notetab Pro program folder. Calling it from inside Notetab
              should work immediately.

              --
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:

                > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
                > available) on his page, at:
                > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
                > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
                > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
                >

                > --
                > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

                Thanks it works great. I downloaded Cory Nelson build set for windows.
                Very easy. Thanks very much.
                Ed
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                  Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

                  I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)

                  What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
                  HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?
                  --
                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  "Just the facts, maam."
                  Sgt. Joe Friday,
                  LAPD Badge #714
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                    Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
                    available) on his page, at:
                    http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
                    There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
                    The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
                    I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
                    server main pages, or behind members only walls.
                    --
                    ~~

                    Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                    "Just the facts, maam."
                    Sgt. Joe Friday,
                    LAPD Badge #714
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                      Got it, Thanks!!
                      --
                      ~~

                      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                      "Just the facts, maam."
                      Sgt. Joe Friday,
                      LAPD Badge #714
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                        Jeff,
                        Mine downloaded very easily from where I clicked on it. I did not even
                        try any of the mirrors.
                        Ed
                        Jeff Scism wrote:

                        > Cory Nelson keeps a Windows build set (usually the most current
                        > available) on his page, at:
                        > http://dev.int64.org/tidy.html
                        > There are a number of different special-purpose versions of Tidy there.
                        > The one you want is the first, the "command-line EXE" one.
                        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
                        > I tried getting this but all the US Mirrors are now redirects to the
                        > server main pages, or behind members only walls.
                        > --
                        > ~~
                        >
                        > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
                        >
                        > "Just the facts, maam."
                        > Sgt. Joe Friday,
                        > LAPD Badge #714
                        >

                        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                        > click here
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297d8kdg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705375618:HM/EXP=1092422392/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>

                      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 12, 2004
                          On 12/8/2004 15:23, Jeff Scism invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                          >Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
                          >
                          >I get this in every table created by NoteTab's wizard (html-ar clipbook)
                          >
                          >What specifically is HTML Tidy looking for, and how can I correct the
                          >HTML Table clip to insert a "Proper" attribute?

                          It's looking for a "summary" attribute. "Summary" is for tables kinda
                          like "alt" is for images -- you are supposed to insert a little
                          descriptive text there, saying what kind of data this table contains, in
                          order to improve accessibility.

                          For instance, a blind user using a text reader, would like to know what
                          is this table about in order to decide if she would prefer to skip it
                          entirely, instead of having to tab field by numbingly boring field
                          trying to figure it out.

                          Basic syntax is about the same as the "alt" and "title" attributes --
                          just do something like this:

                          Note that, like "alt" attributes, the lack of "summary" won't keep
                          your code from validating (if it's otherwise standards-compliant, that
                          is). Also, note that browsers won't render "summary" as tooltips, as
                          Internet Explorer does with "alt" (which, by the way, is not
                          recommended; "alt" should be used for text to be displayed INSTEAD
                          of the image, such as for blind users or for people who prefer to
                          disable images to speed browsing; if you want a tooltip, use "title"
                          instead).

                          By the way, accessibility is a very good reason to avoid using
                          tables for layout. CSS does it in a much better, fluider and cleaner
                          way, and doesn't get in the way of screen readers. It also works better
                          with small-screen rendering agents, like cellphone and palmtop browsers.

                          --
                          Marcelo de Castro Bastos