RE: [NH] Re: Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

  • Toby Scott
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
      Rory,

      Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
      Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
      have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
      browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
      you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
      allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

      The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
      from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

      Hope this helps.

      Toby Scott

      >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and I
      get two tabs: <<
    • Rory
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
        Hi Toby,

        Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
        as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
        WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

        Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
        me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

        Thanks

        Rory

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
        > Rory,
        >
        > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
        > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
        them up to
        > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
        > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
        extensions
        > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
        which
        > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
        live.

        > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
        > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Toby Scott
        >
        > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
        browser and I
        > get two tabs: <<
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
          On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >Hi Toby,
          >
          >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
          >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
          >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
          >
          >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
          >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

          No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
          These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
          Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
          (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
          Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
          is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

          The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
          - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
          user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
          XUL files are actually text files.
          - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
          are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
          and PNG, usually).
          - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
          with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
          the extension.
          - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

          As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
          There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
          (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
          should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

          Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
          impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
          happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

          Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
          itself to download the extension.

          --
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          -=-=-
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
            Hi Marcelo & Toby,

            >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
            >Firefox itself to download the extension.

            Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
            FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
            at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
            html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
            windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

            I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
            to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
            my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
            NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

            Happy html'n!

            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
          • Dennis Cummins
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
              Hi all,

              On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

              > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
              >
              > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
              > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
              >
              > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
              > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
              > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
              > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
              > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

              You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
              to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

              > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
              > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
              > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
              > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

              When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

              http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

              Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

              URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
              URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

              You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
              either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

              --
              Dennis
            • radio1448
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                  Hi radio1448,

                  Read the following... :)

                  From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>