Re: [NH] Re: Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2004
      Hi Rory,

      Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You
      might try some adware removal tools out like lavasoft or spybot.
      If you need to discuss the software, please do so on the
      ntb-OffTopic list.

      Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
      http://www.lavasoft.de/
      http://www.lavasoft.nu/

      SpyBot - Search and Destroy
      http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

      More follows below about Mozilla flavored browsers and the second
      tab or window and having to close in depending on what method you
      use to launch document in the browser.

      > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
      > browser and I get two tabs:
      >
      > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
      >
      > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my
      > box for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
      >
      > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
      > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then
      > closing millions of warning popups...grrrrr.
      >
      > Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and
      > restarted NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new
      > .dat version.

      No, it won't create a new. One instance removing that file fix the
      problem for a Mozilla family browser.

      This is the second window/tab problem... These are all work-
      arounds that have undesired effects, so I wouldn't spend much
      time with it. Many hours have been spent by many people on this.
      You'd do better to search the archives instead od writing back
      and us saying, "Try this..." We've all been there; done that!
      Search for "empty tab," "new window," "firebird, "mozilla," and
      you find lots of stuff on it.

      (Use FireFox instead of Firebird in the following. They are just
      work-arounds. I suppose you need to use the one that fits your
      liking - the best of the worst. :(

      The two tab issue has been there since early NetScape... v4,
      perhaps. So, the Mozilla family has the problem as well.
      Actually, I should reword that to NoteTab and all Mozilla flavors
      have the two window issue and always opening new windows -
      holding down the Ctrl key has no effect.

      Firebird has been discussed a lot on the ntb-html list, but the
      results vary and none that I know of can get it launch in the
      same document all the time. We believe the problem to be in
      Mozilla and Firebird. Eric said he will see what he can do in the
      next maintenance release, but has doubts. We think all users of
      Mozilla and Firebird should write their programmers about it. I'd
      be more than happy to test with them and I know Eric would work
      with them if he had a direct contact.

      To get just a shell popup type window add the path in the browser
      section in the Internet tab and put -browser behind it:

      E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser

      Or, in browser.dat file found in NoteTab's main folder add the
      following (with your path of course and the name in the bracket
      is the folder name).

      [Firebird]
      Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Firebird

      [FireFox]
      Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
      UseDDE=0
      Application=FireFox

      To get it to open a regular browser window use the
      following in a Clip

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      H=FireFox
      ; eMailed on 08-17-2004, Jody, www.notetab.net
      ; http://www.fookes.us/redir

      ; This will not open the blank tab, but I can't
      ; get it to open in the same window. Edit the
      ; path of course to your path,

      ^!Shell "E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

      <--- Copy above this line --->
      <--- Right click over a Library --->
      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

      You can also use Launch Document on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu.
      You configure it under the Custom Launch field in View | Options
      | Tools.

      "E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" ^**

      You can also use the Custom Launch tool. Go to Options | Tools |
      Custom Launch and put your browser enclosed in quotes plus a
      space followed by the F:\NoteTab Pro\efo~3.ja code in the field
      for it. An example is:

      "E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

      The ^** tells NoteTab to use the temporary file if the document is
      in an edited state needing saving. If the document is not in that
      state, NoteTab uses the file in the saved state. The tool to
      execute the custom launch is called Launch Document. It can be
      placed on the Toolbar or in the Shortcut menu. Both are found in
      Options under those tabs respectively.

      You may also make a Clip(s) to launch the document and placed on
      your default Clipbar if you wish. To make a Clip right click over
      the Library you would like to create it in and choose "Add New
      Clip..." The Clip code is identical to the format used in Custom
      Launch with the Clip code ^! added in from of it. You add the Clip
      code Clip Editor (known by the word Clips on the tab) in the
      following format:

      ^!"E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

      Happy html'n!

      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
    • Toby Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
        Rory,

        Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
        Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
        have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
        browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
        you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
        allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

        The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
        from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

        Hope this helps.

        Toby Scott

        >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and I
        get two tabs: <<
      • Rory
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
          Hi Toby,

          Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
          as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
          WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

          Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
          me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

          Thanks

          Rory

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
          > Rory,
          >
          > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
          > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
          them up to
          > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
          > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
          extensions
          > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
          which
          > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
          live.

          > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
          > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Toby Scott
          >
          > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
          browser and I
          > get two tabs: <<
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
            On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

            >Hi Toby,
            >
            >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
            >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
            >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
            >
            >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
            >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

            No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
            These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
            Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
            (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
            Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
            is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

            The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
            - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
            user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
            XUL files are actually text files.
            - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
            are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
            and PNG, usually).
            - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
            with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
            the extension.
            - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

            As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
            There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
            (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
            should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

            Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
            impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
            happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

            Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
            itself to download the extension.

            --
            Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            -=-=-
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
              Hi Marcelo & Toby,

              >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
              >Firefox itself to download the extension.

              Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
              FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
              at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
              html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
              windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

              I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
              to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
              my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
              NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

              Happy html'n!

              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            • Dennis Cummins
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                Hi all,

                On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

                > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
                >
                > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
                >
                > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
                to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

                > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

                http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

                Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

                URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
                URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

                You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
                either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

                --
                Dennis
              • radio1448
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6 1:14 PM
                  What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                  Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                  bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                  Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                  http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                  It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6 3:15 PM
                    Hi radio1448,

                    Read the following... :)

                    From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>