[NH] Re: Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

  • calamityjanenow
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

      > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
      > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
      > Links bar, etc...?

      Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had Firefox
      open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in Firefox when it is
      not already open gets me a normal browser window with two blank tabs.
      I have to hit the button again to see the page!

      Karen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
        Hi Karen,

        Thanks for letting me know it is normal. haha Sometimes you can
        use Clips and or Custom Launch to do better. In those cases
        though you end up always opening a new window so you are always
        closing them.

        >> You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
        >> top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
        >> Links bar, etc...?
        >
        >Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had
        >Firefox open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in
        >Firefox when it is not already open gets me a normal browser
        >window with two blank tabs. I have to hit the button again to see
        >the page!

        Happy html'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
      • Rory
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
          The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
          I get two tabs:

          (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...

          I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
          for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.

          I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
          resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
          millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

          Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and restarted
          NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new .dat version.

          Thanks for the followup.

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
          > Hi Karen,
          >
          > >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
          > >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
          > >then added the button and it works just fine.
          >
          > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
          > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
          > Links bar, etc...?
          >
          > >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.
          >

          > Happy html'n!
          > Jody

          > www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
            Rory wrote:
            > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
            > I get two tabs:
            >
            > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
            >
            > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
            > for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
            >
            > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
            > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
            > millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

            this has been an ongoing problem for some of us and not for others
            I had this very problem and I think I finally solved it with a clip if I
            remember right
            you should look back in messages to see what was said back then
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 18, 2004
              Hi Rory,

              Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You
              might try some adware removal tools out like lavasoft or spybot.
              If you need to discuss the software, please do so on the
              ntb-OffTopic list.

              Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
              http://www.lavasoft.de/
              http://www.lavasoft.nu/

              SpyBot - Search and Destroy
              http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

              More follows below about Mozilla flavored browsers and the second
              tab or window and having to close in depending on what method you
              use to launch document in the browser.

              > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
              > browser and I get two tabs:
              >
              > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
              >
              > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my
              > box for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
              >
              > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
              > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then
              > closing millions of warning popups...grrrrr.
              >
              > Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and
              > restarted NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new
              > .dat version.

              No, it won't create a new. One instance removing that file fix the
              problem for a Mozilla family browser.

              This is the second window/tab problem... These are all work-
              arounds that have undesired effects, so I wouldn't spend much
              time with it. Many hours have been spent by many people on this.
              You'd do better to search the archives instead od writing back
              and us saying, "Try this..." We've all been there; done that!
              Search for "empty tab," "new window," "firebird, "mozilla," and
              you find lots of stuff on it.

              (Use FireFox instead of Firebird in the following. They are just
              work-arounds. I suppose you need to use the one that fits your
              liking - the best of the worst. :(

              The two tab issue has been there since early NetScape... v4,
              perhaps. So, the Mozilla family has the problem as well.
              Actually, I should reword that to NoteTab and all Mozilla flavors
              have the two window issue and always opening new windows -
              holding down the Ctrl key has no effect.

              Firebird has been discussed a lot on the ntb-html list, but the
              results vary and none that I know of can get it launch in the
              same document all the time. We believe the problem to be in
              Mozilla and Firebird. Eric said he will see what he can do in the
              next maintenance release, but has doubts. We think all users of
              Mozilla and Firebird should write their programmers about it. I'd
              be more than happy to test with them and I know Eric would work
              with them if he had a direct contact.

              To get just a shell popup type window add the path in the browser
              section in the Internet tab and put -browser behind it:

              E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser

              Or, in browser.dat file found in NoteTab's main folder add the
              following (with your path of course and the name in the bracket
              is the folder name).

              [Firebird]
              Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
              UseDDE=0
              Application=Firebird

              [FireFox]
              Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
              UseDDE=0
              Application=FireFox

              To get it to open a regular browser window use the
              following in a Clip

              <--- Copy below this line --->
              H=FireFox
              ; eMailed on 08-17-2004, Jody, www.notetab.net
              ; http://www.fookes.us/redir

              ; This will not open the blank tab, but I can't
              ; get it to open in the same window. Edit the
              ; path of course to your path,

              ^!Shell "E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

              <--- Copy above this line --->
              <--- Right click over a Library --->
              <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

              You can also use Launch Document on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu.
              You configure it under the Custom Launch field in View | Options
              | Tools.

              "E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" ^**

              You can also use the Custom Launch tool. Go to Options | Tools |
              Custom Launch and put your browser enclosed in quotes plus a
              space followed by the F:\NoteTab Pro\efo~3.ja code in the field
              for it. An example is:

              "E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

              The ^** tells NoteTab to use the temporary file if the document is
              in an edited state needing saving. If the document is not in that
              state, NoteTab uses the file in the saved state. The tool to
              execute the custom launch is called Launch Document. It can be
              placed on the Toolbar or in the Shortcut menu. Both are found in
              Options under those tabs respectively.

              You may also make a Clip(s) to launch the document and placed on
              your default Clipbar if you wish. To make a Clip right click over
              the Library you would like to create it in and choose "Add New
              Clip..." The Clip code is identical to the format used in Custom
              Launch with the Clip code ^! added in from of it. You add the Clip
              code Clip Editor (known by the word Clips on the tab) in the
              following format:

              ^!"E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

              Happy html'n!

              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            • Toby Scott
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                Rory,

                Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
                have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
                you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
                allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

                The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

                Hope this helps.

                Toby Scott

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                  Hi Toby,

                  Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                  as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                  WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

                  Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                  me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                  Thanks

                  Rory

                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
                  > Rory,
                  >
                  > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                  > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
                  them up to
                  > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                  > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
                  extensions
                  > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
                  which
                  > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
                  live.

                  > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                  > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Toby Scott
                  >
                  > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                  browser and I
                  > get two tabs: <<
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                    On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                    >Hi Toby,
                    >
                    >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                    >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                    >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
                    >
                    >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                    >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                    No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
                    These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
                    Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
                    (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
                    Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
                    is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

                    The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
                    - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
                    user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
                    XUL files are actually text files.
                    - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
                    are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
                    and PNG, usually).
                    - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
                    with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
                    the extension.
                    - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

                    As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
                    There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
                    (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
                    should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

                    Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
                    impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
                    happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

                    Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
                    itself to download the extension.

                    --
                    Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    -=-=-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                      Hi Marcelo & Toby,

                      >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                      >Firefox itself to download the extension.

                      Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                      FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                      at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                      html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                      windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                      I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                      to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                      my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                      NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                      Happy html'n!

                      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                    • Dennis Cummins
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                        Hi all,

                        On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

                        > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
                        >
                        > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                        > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
                        >
                        > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                        > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                        > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                        > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                        > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                        You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
                        to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

                        > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                        > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                        > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                        > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                        When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

                        http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

                        Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

                        URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
                        URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

                        You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
                        either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

                        --
                        Dennis
                      • radio1448
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                          What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                          Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                          bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                          Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                          http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                          It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                            Hi radio1448,

                            Read the following... :)

                            From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>