Re: [NH] Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
      Hi Rory,

      I don't have FireFox, geesh another Mozilla ;) I am downloading
      now. Anyway, try closing NoteTab and rename you Browsers.dat file
      found in NoteTab's main folder something like: Browsers.dat.old
      See what happens then. Hopefully Eric can fix the Mozilla
      browsers during the next NoteTab maintenance release so that they
      NetScape and Mozilla never worked right in NoteTab that I can
      remember.

      What has Mozilla said to anybody? Does anybody have a contact
      that programs one of them browsers (at least the mail author for
      it) to see what is going on and perhaps work with Eric?

      I'm just curious, but does Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621
      have anything to say about it or are you just getting and article. <g>

      >Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?
      >When I use internet options to add it, and then add the button to the
      >tool bar, when I click it I get a blank page and a second page tab
      >that takes me to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621.

      See ya in the funnies,
      Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
        Hi Karen,

        >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
        >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
        >then added the button and it works just fine.

        You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
        top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
        Links bar, etc...?

        >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.

        Happy html'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
      • calamityjanenow
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

          > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
          > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
          > Links bar, etc...?

          Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had Firefox
          open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in Firefox when it is
          not already open gets me a normal browser window with two blank tabs.
          I have to hit the button again to see the page!

          Karen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
            Hi Karen,

            Thanks for letting me know it is normal. haha Sometimes you can
            use Clips and or Custom Launch to do better. In those cases
            though you end up always opening a new window so you are always
            closing them.

            >> You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
            >> top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
            >> Links bar, etc...?
            >
            >Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had
            >Firefox open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in
            >Firefox when it is not already open gets me a normal browser
            >window with two blank tabs. I have to hit the button again to see
            >the page!

            Happy html'n!

            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
          • Rory
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
              The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
              I get two tabs:

              (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...

              I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
              for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.

              I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
              resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
              millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

              Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and restarted
              NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new .dat version.

              Thanks for the followup.

              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
              > Hi Karen,
              >
              > >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
              > >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
              > >then added the button and it works just fine.
              >
              > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
              > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
              > Links bar, etc...?
              >
              > >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.
              >

              > Happy html'n!
              > Jody

              > www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                Rory wrote:
                > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
                > I get two tabs:
                >
                > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                >
                > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
                > for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                >
                > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
                > millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

                this has been an ongoing problem for some of us and not for others
                I had this very problem and I think I finally solved it with a clip if I
                remember right
                you should look back in messages to see what was said back then
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 18, 2004
                  Hi Rory,

                  Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You
                  might try some adware removal tools out like lavasoft or spybot.
                  If you need to discuss the software, please do so on the
                  ntb-OffTopic list.

                  Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
                  http://www.lavasoft.de/
                  http://www.lavasoft.nu/

                  SpyBot - Search and Destroy
                  http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

                  More follows below about Mozilla flavored browsers and the second
                  tab or window and having to close in depending on what method you
                  use to launch document in the browser.

                  > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                  > browser and I get two tabs:
                  >
                  > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                  >
                  > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my
                  > box for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                  >
                  > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                  > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then
                  > closing millions of warning popups...grrrrr.
                  >
                  > Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and
                  > restarted NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new
                  > .dat version.

                  No, it won't create a new. One instance removing that file fix the
                  problem for a Mozilla family browser.

                  This is the second window/tab problem... These are all work-
                  arounds that have undesired effects, so I wouldn't spend much
                  time with it. Many hours have been spent by many people on this.
                  You'd do better to search the archives instead od writing back
                  and us saying, "Try this..." We've all been there; done that!
                  Search for "empty tab," "new window," "firebird, "mozilla," and
                  you find lots of stuff on it.

                  (Use FireFox instead of Firebird in the following. They are just
                  work-arounds. I suppose you need to use the one that fits your
                  liking - the best of the worst. :(

                  The two tab issue has been there since early NetScape... v4,
                  perhaps. So, the Mozilla family has the problem as well.
                  Actually, I should reword that to NoteTab and all Mozilla flavors
                  have the two window issue and always opening new windows -
                  holding down the Ctrl key has no effect.

                  Firebird has been discussed a lot on the ntb-html list, but the
                  results vary and none that I know of can get it launch in the
                  same document all the time. We believe the problem to be in
                  Mozilla and Firebird. Eric said he will see what he can do in the
                  next maintenance release, but has doubts. We think all users of
                  Mozilla and Firebird should write their programmers about it. I'd
                  be more than happy to test with them and I know Eric would work
                  with them if he had a direct contact.

                  To get just a shell popup type window add the path in the browser
                  section in the Internet tab and put -browser behind it:

                  E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser

                  Or, in browser.dat file found in NoteTab's main folder add the
                  following (with your path of course and the name in the bracket
                  is the folder name).

                  [Firebird]
                  Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                  UseDDE=0
                  Application=Firebird

                  [FireFox]
                  Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                  UseDDE=0
                  Application=FireFox

                  To get it to open a regular browser window use the
                  following in a Clip

                  <--- Copy below this line --->
                  H=FireFox
                  ; eMailed on 08-17-2004, Jody, www.notetab.net
                  ; http://www.fookes.us/redir

                  ; This will not open the blank tab, but I can't
                  ; get it to open in the same window. Edit the
                  ; path of course to your path,

                  ^!Shell "E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                  <--- Copy above this line --->
                  <--- Right click over a Library --->
                  <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                  You can also use Launch Document on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu.
                  You configure it under the Custom Launch field in View | Options
                  | Tools.

                  "E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" ^**

                  You can also use the Custom Launch tool. Go to Options | Tools |
                  Custom Launch and put your browser enclosed in quotes plus a
                  space followed by the F:\NoteTab Pro\efo~3.ja code in the field
                  for it. An example is:

                  "E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                  The ^** tells NoteTab to use the temporary file if the document is
                  in an edited state needing saving. If the document is not in that
                  state, NoteTab uses the file in the saved state. The tool to
                  execute the custom launch is called Launch Document. It can be
                  placed on the Toolbar or in the Shortcut menu. Both are found in
                  Options under those tabs respectively.

                  You may also make a Clip(s) to launch the document and placed on
                  your default Clipbar if you wish. To make a Clip right click over
                  the Library you would like to create it in and choose "Add New
                  Clip..." The Clip code is identical to the format used in Custom
                  Launch with the Clip code ^! added in from of it. You add the Clip
                  code Clip Editor (known by the word Clips on the tab) in the
                  following format:

                  ^!"E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                  Happy html'n!

                  www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                • Toby Scott
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                    Rory,

                    Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                    Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
                    have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                    browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
                    you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
                    allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

                    The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                    from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Toby Scott

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                      Hi Toby,

                      Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                      as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                      WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

                      Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                      me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                      Thanks

                      Rory

                      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
                      > Rory,
                      >
                      > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                      > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
                      them up to
                      > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                      > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
                      extensions
                      > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
                      which
                      > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
                      live.

                      > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                      > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps.
                      >
                      > Toby Scott
                      >
                      > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                      browser and I
                      > get two tabs: <<
                    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                        On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                        >Hi Toby,
                        >
                        >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                        >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                        >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
                        >
                        >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                        >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                        No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
                        These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
                        Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
                        (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
                        Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
                        is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

                        The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
                        - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
                        user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
                        XUL files are actually text files.
                        - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
                        are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
                        and PNG, usually).
                        - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
                        with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
                        the extension.
                        - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

                        As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
                        There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
                        (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
                        should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

                        Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
                        impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
                        happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

                        Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
                        itself to download the extension.

                        --
                        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                        -=-=-
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                          Hi Marcelo & Toby,

                          >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                          >Firefox itself to download the extension.

                          Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                          FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                          at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                          html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                          windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                          I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                          to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                          my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                          NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                          Happy html'n!

                          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                        • Dennis Cummins
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                            Hi all,

                            On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

                            > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
                            >
                            > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                            > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
                            >
                            > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                            > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                            > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                            > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                            > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                            You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
                            to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

                            > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                            > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                            > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                            > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                            When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

                            http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

                            Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

                            URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
                            URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

                            You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
                            either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

                            --
                            Dennis
                          • radio1448
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 6 1:14 PM
                              What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                              Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                              bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                              Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                              http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                              It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6 3:15 PM
                                Hi radio1448,

                                Read the following... :)

                                From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>