Re: Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

  • calamityjanenow
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rory" <rormeister@y...> wrote:
      > Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?

      Hi Rory,

      I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it as a
      test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe then added
      the button and it works just fine.

      Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.

      Karen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
        Hi Rory,

        I don't have FireFox, geesh another Mozilla ;) I am downloading
        now. Anyway, try closing NoteTab and rename you Browsers.dat file
        found in NoteTab's main folder something like: Browsers.dat.old
        See what happens then. Hopefully Eric can fix the Mozilla
        browsers during the next NoteTab maintenance release so that they
        NetScape and Mozilla never worked right in NoteTab that I can
        remember.

        What has Mozilla said to anybody? Does anybody have a contact
        that programs one of them browsers (at least the mail author for
        it) to see what is going on and perhaps work with Eric?

        I'm just curious, but does Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621
        have anything to say about it or are you just getting and article. <g>

        >Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?
        >When I use internet options to add it, and then add the button to the
        >tool bar, when I click it I get a blank page and a second page tab
        >that takes me to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621.

        See ya in the funnies,
        Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
          Hi Karen,

          >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
          >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
          >then added the button and it works just fine.

          You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
          top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
          Links bar, etc...?

          >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.

          Happy html'n!

          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • calamityjanenow
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

            > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
            > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
            > Links bar, etc...?

            Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had Firefox
            open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in Firefox when it is
            not already open gets me a normal browser window with two blank tabs.
            I have to hit the button again to see the page!

            Karen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
              Hi Karen,

              Thanks for letting me know it is normal. haha Sometimes you can
              use Clips and or Custom Launch to do better. In those cases
              though you end up always opening a new window so you are always
              closing them.

              >> You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
              >> top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
              >> Links bar, etc...?
              >
              >Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had
              >Firefox open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in
              >Firefox when it is not already open gets me a normal browser
              >window with two blank tabs. I have to hit the button again to see
              >the page!

              Happy html'n!

              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            • Rory
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
                I get two tabs:

                (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...

                I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
                for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.

                I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
                millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

                Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and restarted
                NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new .dat version.

                Thanks for the followup.

                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                > Hi Karen,
                >
                > >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
                > >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
                > >then added the button and it works just fine.
                >
                > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
                > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
                > Links bar, etc...?
                >
                > >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.
                >

                > Happy html'n!
                > Jody

                > www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                  Rory wrote:
                  > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
                  > I get two tabs:
                  >
                  > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                  >
                  > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
                  > for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                  >
                  > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                  > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
                  > millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

                  this has been an ongoing problem for some of us and not for others
                  I had this very problem and I think I finally solved it with a clip if I
                  remember right
                  you should look back in messages to see what was said back then
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 18, 2004
                    Hi Rory,

                    Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You
                    might try some adware removal tools out like lavasoft or spybot.
                    If you need to discuss the software, please do so on the
                    ntb-OffTopic list.

                    Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
                    http://www.lavasoft.de/
                    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

                    SpyBot - Search and Destroy
                    http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

                    More follows below about Mozilla flavored browsers and the second
                    tab or window and having to close in depending on what method you
                    use to launch document in the browser.

                    > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                    > browser and I get two tabs:
                    >
                    > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                    >
                    > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my
                    > box for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                    >
                    > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                    > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then
                    > closing millions of warning popups...grrrrr.
                    >
                    > Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and
                    > restarted NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new
                    > .dat version.

                    No, it won't create a new. One instance removing that file fix the
                    problem for a Mozilla family browser.

                    This is the second window/tab problem... These are all work-
                    arounds that have undesired effects, so I wouldn't spend much
                    time with it. Many hours have been spent by many people on this.
                    You'd do better to search the archives instead od writing back
                    and us saying, "Try this..." We've all been there; done that!
                    Search for "empty tab," "new window," "firebird, "mozilla," and
                    you find lots of stuff on it.

                    (Use FireFox instead of Firebird in the following. They are just
                    work-arounds. I suppose you need to use the one that fits your
                    liking - the best of the worst. :(

                    The two tab issue has been there since early NetScape... v4,
                    perhaps. So, the Mozilla family has the problem as well.
                    Actually, I should reword that to NoteTab and all Mozilla flavors
                    have the two window issue and always opening new windows -
                    holding down the Ctrl key has no effect.

                    Firebird has been discussed a lot on the ntb-html list, but the
                    results vary and none that I know of can get it launch in the
                    same document all the time. We believe the problem to be in
                    Mozilla and Firebird. Eric said he will see what he can do in the
                    next maintenance release, but has doubts. We think all users of
                    Mozilla and Firebird should write their programmers about it. I'd
                    be more than happy to test with them and I know Eric would work
                    with them if he had a direct contact.

                    To get just a shell popup type window add the path in the browser
                    section in the Internet tab and put -browser behind it:

                    E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser

                    Or, in browser.dat file found in NoteTab's main folder add the
                    following (with your path of course and the name in the bracket
                    is the folder name).

                    [Firebird]
                    Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                    UseDDE=0
                    Application=Firebird

                    [FireFox]
                    Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                    UseDDE=0
                    Application=FireFox

                    To get it to open a regular browser window use the
                    following in a Clip

                    <--- Copy below this line --->
                    H=FireFox
                    ; eMailed on 08-17-2004, Jody, www.notetab.net
                    ; http://www.fookes.us/redir

                    ; This will not open the blank tab, but I can't
                    ; get it to open in the same window. Edit the
                    ; path of course to your path,

                    ^!Shell "E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                    <--- Copy above this line --->
                    <--- Right click over a Library --->
                    <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                    You can also use Launch Document on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu.
                    You configure it under the Custom Launch field in View | Options
                    | Tools.

                    "E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" ^**

                    You can also use the Custom Launch tool. Go to Options | Tools |
                    Custom Launch and put your browser enclosed in quotes plus a
                    space followed by the F:\NoteTab Pro\efo~3.ja code in the field
                    for it. An example is:

                    "E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                    The ^** tells NoteTab to use the temporary file if the document is
                    in an edited state needing saving. If the document is not in that
                    state, NoteTab uses the file in the saved state. The tool to
                    execute the custom launch is called Launch Document. It can be
                    placed on the Toolbar or in the Shortcut menu. Both are found in
                    Options under those tabs respectively.

                    You may also make a Clip(s) to launch the document and placed on
                    your default Clipbar if you wish. To make a Clip right click over
                    the Library you would like to create it in and choose "Add New
                    Clip..." The Clip code is identical to the format used in Custom
                    Launch with the Clip code ^! added in from of it. You add the Clip
                    code Clip Editor (known by the word Clips on the tab) in the
                    following format:

                    ^!"E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                    Happy html'n!

                    www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                  • Toby Scott
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                      Rory,

                      Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                      Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
                      have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                      browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
                      you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
                      allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

                      The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                      from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Toby Scott

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                        Hi Toby,

                        Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                        as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                        WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

                        Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                        me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                        Thanks

                        Rory

                        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
                        > Rory,
                        >
                        > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                        > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
                        them up to
                        > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                        > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
                        extensions
                        > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
                        which
                        > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
                        live.

                        > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                        > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps.
                        >
                        > Toby Scott
                        >
                        > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                        browser and I
                        > get two tabs: <<
                      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                          On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                          >Hi Toby,
                          >
                          >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                          >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                          >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
                          >
                          >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                          >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                          No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
                          These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
                          Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
                          (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
                          Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
                          is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

                          The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
                          - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
                          user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
                          XUL files are actually text files.
                          - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
                          are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
                          and PNG, usually).
                          - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
                          with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
                          the extension.
                          - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

                          As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
                          There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
                          (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
                          should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

                          Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
                          impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
                          happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

                          Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
                          itself to download the extension.

                          --
                          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                          -=-=-
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                            Hi Marcelo & Toby,

                            >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                            >Firefox itself to download the extension.

                            Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                            FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                            at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                            html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                            windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                            I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                            to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                            my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                            NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                            Happy html'n!

                            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                          • Dennis Cummins
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                              Hi all,

                              On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

                              > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
                              >
                              > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                              > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
                              >
                              > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                              > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                              > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                              > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                              > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                              You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
                              to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

                              > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                              > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                              > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                              > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                              When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

                              http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

                              Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

                              URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
                              URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

                              You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
                              either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

                              --
                              Dennis
                            • radio1448
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                                What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                                Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                                bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                                Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                                http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                                It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                                  Hi radio1448,

                                  Read the following... :)

                                  From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>