Mozilla FireFox as Second Browser Fails

  • Rory
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
      Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?
      When I use internet options to add it, and then add the button to the
      tool bar, when I click it I get a blank page and a second page tab
      that takes me to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621.

      Very odd.

      Thanks
    • calamityjanenow
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Rory" <rormeister@y...> wrote:
        > Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?

        Hi Rory,

        I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it as a
        test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe then added
        the button and it works just fine.

        Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.

        Karen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
          Hi Rory,

          I don't have FireFox, geesh another Mozilla ;) I am downloading
          now. Anyway, try closing NoteTab and rename you Browsers.dat file
          found in NoteTab's main folder something like: Browsers.dat.old
          See what happens then. Hopefully Eric can fix the Mozilla
          browsers during the next NoteTab maintenance release so that they
          NetScape and Mozilla never worked right in NoteTab that I can
          remember.

          What has Mozilla said to anybody? Does anybody have a contact
          that programs one of them browsers (at least the mail author for
          it) to see what is going on and perhaps work with Eric?

          I'm just curious, but does Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621
          have anything to say about it or are you just getting and article. <g>

          >Is there a trick to getting FireFox to work as the second browser?
          >When I use internet options to add it, and then add the button to the
          >tool bar, when I click it I get a blank page and a second page tab
          >that takes me to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621.

          See ya in the funnies,
          Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
            Hi Karen,

            >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
            >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
            >then added the button and it works just fine.

            You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
            top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
            Links bar, etc...?

            >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.

            Happy html'n!

            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
          • calamityjanenow
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

              > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
              > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
              > Links bar, etc...?

              Ok, so it wasn't a completely thorough test. I already had Firefox
              open, and it worked as expected. Opening a page in Firefox when it is
              not already open gets me a normal browser window with two blank tabs.
              I have to hit the button again to see the page!

              Karen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                Hi Karen,

                Thanks for letting me know it is normal. haha Sometimes you can
                use Clips and or Custom Launch to do better. In those cases
                though you end up always opening a new window so you are always
                closing them.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                  The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
                  I get two tabs:

                  (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...

                  I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
                  for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.

                  I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                  resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
                  millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

                  Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and restarted
                  NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new .dat version.

                  Thanks for the followup.

                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                  > Hi Karen,
                  >
                  > >I had not selected a second browser on this computer, so I did it
                  > >as a test. I chose C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
                  > >then added the button and it works just fine.
                  >
                  > You don't get a second window open, normally blank? Does the full
                  > top part of the program show such as the Toolbars, Address bar,
                  > Links bar, etc...?
                  >
                  > >Using Win98 here, Firefox0.8.
                  >

                  > Happy html'n!
                  > Jody

                  > www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 17, 2004
                    Rory wrote:
                    > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox browser and
                    > I get two tabs:
                    >
                    > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                    >
                    > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my box
                    > for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                    >
                    > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                    > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then closing
                    > millions of warning popups...grrrrr.

                    this has been an ongoing problem for some of us and not for others
                    I had this very problem and I think I finally solved it with a clip if I
                    remember right
                    you should look back in messages to see what was said back then
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 18, 2004
                      Hi Rory,

                      Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You
                      might try some adware removal tools out like lavasoft or spybot.
                      If you need to discuss the software, please do so on the
                      ntb-OffTopic list.

                      Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
                      http://www.lavasoft.de/
                      http://www.lavasoft.nu/

                      SpyBot - Search and Destroy
                      http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

                      More follows below about Mozilla flavored browsers and the second
                      tab or window and having to close in depending on what method you
                      use to launch document in the browser.

                      > The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                      > browser and I get two tabs:
                      >
                      > (Untitled) | 236621 - Cannot Move or Rename the Docu...
                      >
                      > I have NO idea why it opens the Microsoft KB page. I scaned my
                      > box for any new Trojans and ran McAfee and found no problems.
                      >
                      > I dropped IE based on recent security concerns which seem to be
                      > resolved by setting your world to HIGH security and then
                      > closing millions of warning popups...grrrrr.
                      >
                      > Jody, I did in fact change the Browser.dat file to .dax and
                      > restarted NoteTab. Same result, but it didn't create a new
                      > .dat version.

                      No, it won't create a new. One instance removing that file fix the
                      problem for a Mozilla family browser.

                      This is the second window/tab problem... These are all work-
                      arounds that have undesired effects, so I wouldn't spend much
                      time with it. Many hours have been spent by many people on this.
                      You'd do better to search the archives instead od writing back
                      and us saying, "Try this..." We've all been there; done that!
                      Search for "empty tab," "new window," "firebird, "mozilla," and
                      you find lots of stuff on it.

                      (Use FireFox instead of Firebird in the following. They are just
                      work-arounds. I suppose you need to use the one that fits your
                      liking - the best of the worst. :(

                      The two tab issue has been there since early NetScape... v4,
                      perhaps. So, the Mozilla family has the problem as well.
                      Actually, I should reword that to NoteTab and all Mozilla flavors
                      have the two window issue and always opening new windows -
                      holding down the Ctrl key has no effect.

                      Firebird has been discussed a lot on the ntb-html list, but the
                      results vary and none that I know of can get it launch in the
                      same document all the time. We believe the problem to be in
                      Mozilla and Firebird. Eric said he will see what he can do in the
                      next maintenance release, but has doubts. We think all users of
                      Mozilla and Firebird should write their programmers about it. I'd
                      be more than happy to test with them and I know Eric would work
                      with them if he had a direct contact.

                      To get just a shell popup type window add the path in the browser
                      section in the Internet tab and put -browser behind it:

                      E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser

                      Or, in browser.dat file found in NoteTab's main folder add the
                      following (with your path of course and the name in the bracket
                      is the folder name).

                      [Firebird]
                      Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                      UseDDE=0
                      Application=Firebird

                      [FireFox]
                      Command=E:\Browsers\FireBird\FireBird.exe -browser
                      UseDDE=0
                      Application=FireFox

                      To get it to open a regular browser window use the
                      following in a Clip

                      <--- Copy below this line --->
                      H=FireFox
                      ; eMailed on 08-17-2004, Jody, www.notetab.net
                      ; http://www.fookes.us/redir

                      ; This will not open the blank tab, but I can't
                      ; get it to open in the same window. Edit the
                      ; path of course to your path,

                      ^!Shell "E:\Browsers\FireFox\FireFox.exe" ^**

                      <--- Copy above this line --->
                      <--- Right click over a Library --->
                      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                      You can also use Launch Document on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu.
                      You configure it under the Custom Launch field in View | Options
                      | Tools.

                      "E:\Browsers\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" ^**

                      You can also use the Custom Launch tool. Go to Options | Tools |
                      Custom Launch and put your browser enclosed in quotes plus a
                      space followed by the F:\NoteTab Pro\efo~3.ja code in the field
                      for it. An example is:

                      "E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                      The ^** tells NoteTab to use the temporary file if the document is
                      in an edited state needing saving. If the document is not in that
                      state, NoteTab uses the file in the saved state. The tool to
                      execute the custom launch is called Launch Document. It can be
                      placed on the Toolbar or in the Shortcut menu. Both are found in
                      Options under those tabs respectively.

                      You may also make a Clip(s) to launch the document and placed on
                      your default Clipbar if you wish. To make a Clip right click over
                      the Library you would like to create it in and choose "Add New
                      Clip..." The Clip code is identical to the format used in Custom
                      Launch with the Clip code ^! added in from of it. You add the Clip
                      code Clip Editor (known by the word Clips on the tab) in the
                      following format:

                      ^!"E:\Browsers\Opera 6.5\opera.exe" ^**

                      Happy html'n!

                      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                    • Toby Scott
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                        Rory,

                        Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                        Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set them up to
                        have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                        browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other extensions
                        you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension which
                        allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results live.

                        The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                        from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Toby Scott

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                          Hi Toby,

                          Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                          as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                          WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.

                          Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                          me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                          Thanks

                          Rory

                          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Toby Scott" <egroups@t...> wrote:
                          > Rory,
                          >
                          > Sorry to be so slow. Grab the TabBrowser Extensions and Tabbrowser
                          > Preferences at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ and set
                          them up to
                          > have all external program calls open in a new tab, rather than a new
                          > browser. While you are there, take a look at the 150 or so other
                          extensions
                          > you can add onto Firefox. I particularly like the EditCSS extension
                          which
                          > allows you to edit your CSS file on the fly and display the results
                          live.

                          > The reason different people have different results is that browser calls
                          > from external programs (such as NTP) are user-configurable.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps.
                          >
                          > Toby Scott
                          >
                          > >> The behavior I get is NoteTab attempts to open the FireFox
                          browser and I
                          > get two tabs: <<
                        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                            On 28/7/2004 22:28, Rory invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                            >Hi Toby,
                            >
                            >Thanks for the post. Hummm...I guess I haven't been around computers
                            >as long as I thought. I'm not familiar with .XPI file format...and my
                            >WinXP box really doesn't seem to grasp them either.
                            >
                            >Are we talking about unix files? If these are for Windows, forgive
                            >me, but could you give me a hint on how to load 'em?

                            No, these are not Unix OR Windows (or Mac) files (in most cases).
                            These are a special cross-platform extension format that's specific to
                            Mozilla-based browsers. Unless noted, XPIs should work in your Firefox
                            (or Mozilla) browser, regardless if it is running in Windows, Mac,
                            Unix, Linux or whatever (as long as it's version-compatible, that
                            is... older extensions won't work in newer browser versions).

                            The secret to this cross-platform nature, in a nutshell:
                            - Mozilla relies heavily in a technology called "XUL" for most
                            user-interface stuff. XUL is actually a XML-based language; that means
                            XUL files are actually text files.
                            - Most extensions are composed of XUL files, Javascript files (which
                            are also text files) and some standard-format graphic files (JPG, GIF
                            and PNG, usually).
                            - These component parts to the extension are packed in a Zip file, along
                            with a special text file that instructs the browser about how to install
                            the extension.
                            - The Zip file is renamed to *.XPI. That's about it...

                            As you see, there's nothing in an extension that's platform-specific.
                            There are standard image files, text files formatted in standard ways
                            (Javascript, XUL) and a standard compressed archive format (Zip). So, it
                            should work regardless of the platform you are running your Firefox on.

                            Of course, there are cases when, for some reason or another, it's
                            impractical to make a fully cross-platform extension -- this usually
                            happens with very complex extensions, such as Enigmail.

                            Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use Firefox
                            itself to download the extension.

                            --
                            Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                            -=-=-
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 28, 2004
                              Hi Marcelo & Toby,

                              >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                              >Firefox itself to download the extension.

                              Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                              FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                              at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                              html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                              windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                              I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                              to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                              my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                              NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                              Happy html'n!

                              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                            • Dennis Cummins
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                                Hi all,

                                On Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 0:26, Jody wrote:

                                > Hi Marcelo & Toby,
                                >
                                > >Hint: to make the process of installing extensions easier, use
                                > >Firefox itself to download the extension.
                                >
                                > Unless you like to download with something else, then just open
                                > FireFox and drag/drop each .xpi file into FireFox. I did it one
                                > at a time. It doesn't totally solve the problem with launching
                                > html files from NoteTab, but it is a help, better than two
                                > windows. :) Although I might not have my configuration set right.

                                You would do better just using the installer in Firefox. If you do not want
                                to do that then drag and drop the .xpi file to the extension window.

                                > I like opening in the same tab, but it takes two clicks (quick)
                                > to get the first tab open with the file in it and it also opens
                                > my about:blank. If I single click, then I have to switch back to
                                > NoteTab and click again for the file to open.

                                When I double click in Notetab all the urls open in FF. See this,

                                http://jeeradej.free.nnsol.com/mozdev/OpenURLinFirefox/

                                Also go to Folder Options in Control Panel and find these,

                                URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
                                URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

                                You will find these in File Type and click on the advance button. Then
                                either add Firefox or if there already set it to default.

                                --
                                Dennis
                              • radio1448
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                                  What happens to me is every time I try to preview a page in NoteTab
                                  Pro in Firefox it reads the name of my file (In this case it's
                                  bilpic.htm) and opens a blank page and a second one doing a default
                                  Google search opening a web site named The Orator's Bill Page.
                                  http://www.theorator.com/billpage.html

                                  It's a Firefox thing being so closely tied with Google search.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                                    Hi radio1448,

                                    Read the following... :)

                                    From: "Toby Scott" <egroups@...>