Re: [NH] Adding Fonts to NTB

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      <mcblista@t...> wrote:
      > On 12/5/2004 21:38, alice ttlg invited the wrath of the gods by
      saying:

      > >Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics
      sparingly, for
      > >logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be
      something easy to
      > >read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font
      families:

      > >Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
      > >(substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)
      > >

      > Well, Arial is a surefire bet for Windows, Helvetica is a surefire
      for
      > Macs, and Unix/Linux will usually have one or both of them. So they
      are
      > safe bets. Personally, though, I would place Helvetica first, even
      if
      > I'm not a Mac user -- I prefer the classic original to the half-
      baked
      > copy. By the way, it's "sans-serif", not "san-serif".
      >

      > >Times New Roman, Times, serif
      > >

      > These are even closer to one another than Arial and Helvetica are --

      > they are both variations on the classic Times Roman typeface,
      default on
      > Windows and Mac respectively. Also safe bets. But you should
      put "Times
      > New Roman" between quotes.
      >

      > However, you don't have to limit yourself to
      > two-typefaces-plus-a-generic-one. You can list more, and listing
      them
      > _before_ the "safe bets" is a good way to set up your page to use
      > less-common typefaces. You can even list a bunch, in decreasing
      order of
      > preference. I don't think there is any theoretical limit to the
      number
      > of fonts you can list in this fashion -- although in practice, you
      > shouldn't ever need more than five or six.
      >
      > For instance, IF the page is intended to be seen primarily on
      screen (as
      > opposed to printed out) (and most are), and IF the design is not
      rigidly
      > depending on a particular typeface metrics (modern designs tend to
      be
      > "fluid"), I like to preface both lines with Verdana and Georgia,
      > respectively. The reason is that Verdana and Georgia were designed
      with
      > screen reading in mind, and so are VERY readable onscreen. And they
      are
      > fairly easy to come by, too: just about all Windows machines have
      both
      > installed (Microsoft has been pushing both since Internet Explorer
      4),
      > and a fair percentage of other platforms will have them, too.
      >

      > --
      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

      I concur with what Marcelo stated.

      I would also like to add that the options we have with modern day web
      sites when it comes to printing them out is not limited to the way
      they look on screen.

      By using meta tags in the <HEAD> section somewhat like those which
      follows you can establish different (if that is what you want) rules
      for the way your web page will look when printed out as opposed to
      being viewed online.

      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
      href="screen.css">
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="print.css">

      In the above example, screen.css establishes what the layout will be
      as seen normally online whereas print.css determines how the web page
      will be printed. Note that the key words are not "screen.css"
      or "print.css", rather it's the media value of "print" or "screen" of
      the individual meta tags.

      As always, the success of this is totally dependent upon the setup of
      the person viewing the pages, but as a general rule, it can be
      assumed to be true as more and more people are using standards
      compliant browsers.

      Just something to keep in mind.

      John
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2004
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
        > Are you saving the transparencies as gif? jpg doesn't do
        > transparencies.
        >
        > Embedding doesn't work very well. Who is going to download your
        font
        > to see your page? Not many.
        >
        > My advice is to stay wih a basic sans-serif or serif font-family and
        > spice your page up with a few graphics here and there.

        I agree with you sister. A few years back for a brief time I thought
        embedded fonts were the way to go until I learned what you just
        stated.

        John
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2004
          Thanks all for your help. I know and am aware of everything you are saying. However, in this case none of that means anything. There will be only a few viewers on this website and most will have the fonts that I want to use, if not they can still read the name. This is a specialized website. All I needed to do was transfer fonts from another computer to this one. And I think I have that figured out now. But thanks for your input it is valuable to many who receive these messages.
          ed
          I am working on a graphic with a signature of a person and when I get the background to match the webpage background I will use it. But creating a transparency does not always work for some unknown (to me) reason. But I do not have Word on this computer and thus it has very few fonts. Do you know how embedding would work, it seems that if you embed a font on a page then everyone would see it.
          Ed