Adding Fonts to NTB

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2004
      I need a cursive font on my web page, yet I cannot find one in NTB. But I am
      probably not look in the right place for it. I want to add Lucida
      Handwriting. It is on my computer so I can copy and paste it if I knew where
      to paste it.
      Ed
      Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the
      rear or a fool from any direction.
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11, 2004
        If I'm understanding correctly, you want to code part of your web page
        in Lucida Handwriting. Well, that's easy just specify it in the
        appropriate place in the code. But what matters are the fonts that the
        user has on their machine - they might not have that particular font
        installed. So while you might specify Lucinda Handwriting, there's no
        way to guarantee that's what a visitor will see. If it's important that
        they see that particular font, you should probably put it into a
        graphic.

        --- Ed Brown <ebrown27@...> wrote:
        > I need a cursive font on my web page, yet I cannot find one in NTB.
        > But I am
        > probably not look in the right place for it. I want to add Lucida
        > Handwriting. It is on my computer so I can copy and paste it if I
        > knew where
        > to paste it.
        > Ed
        > Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the
        > rear or a fool from any direction.

      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2004
          It's no good having a cursive font on your .html webpage if the viewer has not got it
          on their computer. Alternatively use a .PDF page and then it does not matter.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk
        • Magus Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2004
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2004
              Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:

              > It's no good having a cursive font on your .html webpage if the viewer
              > has not got it on their computer. Alternatively use a .PDF page and then
              > it does not matter.

              Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics sparingly, for
              logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be something easy to
              read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font families:

              Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
              (substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)

              Times New Roman, Times, serif

              Even if the website visitor has Lucida on their computer, a page full of
              cursive text is very difficult to read.

              As for PDF, not all computers have Adobe Acrobat installed, plus it can be
              considerably slower and not as easy to navigate as regular webpages. I'm
              not sure how PDF pages work for accessibility either, much better to use
              regular webpages, imho.

              alice ttlg

              --
              Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
              http://alice.ttlg.net/

              Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The
              river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the
              basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the
              rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs....I am haunted by
              waters. - A River Runs Through It
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                I am working on a graphic with a signature of a person and when I get the background to match the webpage background I will use it. But creating a transparency does not always work for some unknown (to me) reason. But I do not have Word on this computer and thus it has very few fonts. Do you know how embedding would work, it seems that if you embed a font on a page then everyone would see it.
                Ed
                > It's no good having a cursive font on your .html webpage if the viewer
                > has not got it on their computer. Alternatively use a .PDF page and then
                > it does not matter.

                Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics sparingly, for
                logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be something easy to
                read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font families:

                Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
                (substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)

                Times New Roman, Times, serif

                Even if the website visitor has Lucida on their computer, a page full of
                cursive text is very difficult to read.

                As for PDF, not all computers have Adobe Acrobat installed, plus it can be
                considerably slower and not as easy to navigate as regular webpages. I'm
                not sure how PDF pages work for accessibility either, much better to use
                regular webpages, imho.

                alice ttlg

                --
                Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
                http://alice.ttlg.net/

                Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The
                river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the
                basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the
                rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs....I am haunted by
                waters. - A River Runs Through It

              • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                  On 12/5/2004 21:38, alice ttlg invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                  >Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics sparingly, for
                  >logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be something easy to
                  >read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font families:
                  >
                  >Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
                  >(substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)

                  Well, Arial is a surefire bet for Windows, Helvetica is a surefire for
                  Macs, and Unix/Linux will usually have one or both of them. So they are
                  safe bets. Personally, though, I would place Helvetica first, even if
                  I'm not a Mac user -- I prefer the classic original to the half-baked
                  copy. By the way, it's "sans-serif", not "san-serif".

                  >Times New Roman, Times, serif

                  These are even closer to one another than Arial and Helvetica are --
                  they are both variations on the classic Times Roman typeface, default on
                  Windows and Mac respectively. Also safe bets. But you should put "Times
                  New Roman" between quotes.

                  However, you don't have to limit yourself to
                  two-typefaces-plus-a-generic-one. You can list more, and listing them
                  _before_ the "safe bets" is a good way to set up your page to use
                  less-common typefaces. You can even list a bunch, in decreasing order of
                  preference. I don't think there is any theoretical limit to the number
                  of fonts you can list in this fashion -- although in practice, you
                  shouldn't ever need more than five or six.

                  For instance, IF the page is intended to be seen primarily on screen (as
                  opposed to printed out) (and most are), and IF the design is not rigidly
                  depending on a particular typeface metrics (modern designs tend to be
                  "fluid"), I like to preface both lines with Verdana and Georgia,
                  respectively. The reason is that Verdana and Georgia were designed with
                  screen reading in mind, and so are VERY readable onscreen. And they are
                  fairly easy to come by, too: just about all Windows machines have both
                  installed (Microsoft has been pushing both since Internet Explorer 4),
                  and a fair percentage of other platforms will have them, too.

                  --
                  Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  -=-=-
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                    Are you saving the transparencies as gif? jpg doesn't do
                    transparencies.

                    Embedding doesn't work very well. Who is going to download your font
                    to see your page? Not many.

                    My advice is to stay wih a basic sans-serif or serif font-family and
                    spice your page up with a few graphics here and there.

                    --- Ed Brown <ebrown27@...> wrote:
                    > I am working on a graphic with a signature of a person and when I get
                    > the background to match the webpage background I will use it. But
                    > creating a transparency does not always work for some unknown (to
                    > me) reason. But I do not have Word on this computer and thus it has
                    > very few fonts. Do you know how embedding would work, it seems that
                    > if you embed a font on a page then everyone would see it.
                    > Ed

                  • John Zeman
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                      <mcblista@t...> wrote:
                      > On 12/5/2004 21:38, alice ttlg invited the wrath of the gods by
                      saying:

                      > >Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics
                      sparingly, for
                      > >logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be
                      something easy to
                      > >read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font
                      families:

                      > >Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
                      > >(substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)
                      > >

                      > Well, Arial is a surefire bet for Windows, Helvetica is a surefire
                      for
                      > Macs, and Unix/Linux will usually have one or both of them. So they
                      are
                      > safe bets. Personally, though, I would place Helvetica first, even
                      if
                      > I'm not a Mac user -- I prefer the classic original to the half-
                      baked
                      > copy. By the way, it's "sans-serif", not "san-serif".
                      >

                      > >Times New Roman, Times, serif
                      > >

                      > These are even closer to one another than Arial and Helvetica are --

                      > they are both variations on the classic Times Roman typeface,
                      default on
                      > Windows and Mac respectively. Also safe bets. But you should
                      put "Times
                      > New Roman" between quotes.
                      >

                      > However, you don't have to limit yourself to
                      > two-typefaces-plus-a-generic-one. You can list more, and listing
                      them
                      > _before_ the "safe bets" is a good way to set up your page to use
                      > less-common typefaces. You can even list a bunch, in decreasing
                      order of
                      > preference. I don't think there is any theoretical limit to the
                      number
                      > of fonts you can list in this fashion -- although in practice, you
                      > shouldn't ever need more than five or six.
                      >
                      > For instance, IF the page is intended to be seen primarily on
                      screen (as
                      > opposed to printed out) (and most are), and IF the design is not
                      rigidly
                      > depending on a particular typeface metrics (modern designs tend to
                      be
                      > "fluid"), I like to preface both lines with Verdana and Georgia,
                      > respectively. The reason is that Verdana and Georgia were designed
                      with
                      > screen reading in mind, and so are VERY readable onscreen. And they
                      are
                      > fairly easy to come by, too: just about all Windows machines have
                      both
                      > installed (Microsoft has been pushing both since Internet Explorer
                      4),
                      > and a fair percentage of other platforms will have them, too.
                      >

                      > --
                      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

                      I concur with what Marcelo stated.

                      I would also like to add that the options we have with modern day web
                      sites when it comes to printing them out is not limited to the way
                      they look on screen.

                      By using meta tags in the <HEAD> section somewhat like those which
                      follows you can establish different (if that is what you want) rules
                      for the way your web page will look when printed out as opposed to
                      being viewed online.

                      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
                      href="screen.css">
                      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="print.css">

                      In the above example, screen.css establishes what the layout will be
                      as seen normally online whereas print.css determines how the web page
                      will be printed. Note that the key words are not "screen.css"
                      or "print.css", rather it's the media value of "print" or "screen" of
                      the individual meta tags.

                      As always, the success of this is totally dependent upon the setup of
                      the person viewing the pages, but as a general rule, it can be
                      assumed to be true as more and more people are using standards
                      compliant browsers.

                      Just something to keep in mind.

                      John
                    • John Zeman
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
                        > Are you saving the transparencies as gif? jpg doesn't do
                        > transparencies.
                        >
                        > Embedding doesn't work very well. Who is going to download your
                        font
                        > to see your page? Not many.
                        >
                        > My advice is to stay wih a basic sans-serif or serif font-family and
                        > spice your page up with a few graphics here and there.

                        I agree with you sister. A few years back for a brief time I thought
                        embedded fonts were the way to go until I learned what you just
                        stated.

                        John
                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 12, 2004
                          Thanks all for your help. I know and am aware of everything you are saying. However, in this case none of that means anything. There will be only a few viewers on this website and most will have the fonts that I want to use, if not they can still read the name. This is a specialized website. All I needed to do was transfer fonts from another computer to this one. And I think I have that figured out now. But thanks for your input it is valuable to many who receive these messages.
                          ed
                          I am working on a graphic with a signature of a person and when I get the background to match the webpage background I will use it. But creating a transparency does not always work for some unknown (to me) reason. But I do not have Word on this computer and thus it has very few fonts. Do you know how embedding would work, it seems that if you embed a font on a page then everyone would see it.
                          Ed
                          > It's no good having a cursive font on your .html webpage if the viewer
                          > has not got it on their computer. Alternatively use a .PDF page and then
                          > it does not matter.

                          Better to create a graphic with fancy fonts and use graphics sparingly, for
                          logos or headlines only. The main body of text should be something easy to
                          read and common to all computers. These are the recommended font families:

                          Arial, Helvetica, san-serif
                          (substitute Verdana in place of Arial if you like)

                          Times New Roman, Times, serif

                          Even if the website visitor has Lucida on their computer, a page full of
                          cursive text is very difficult to read.

                          As for PDF, not all computers have Adobe Acrobat installed, plus it can be
                          considerably slower and not as easy to navigate as regular webpages. I'm
                          not sure how PDF pages work for accessibility either, much better to use
                          regular webpages, imho.

                          alice ttlg

                          --
                          Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
                          http://alice.ttlg.net/

                          Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The
                          river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the
                          basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the
                          rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs....I am haunted by
                          waters. - A River Runs Through It

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor