FTP Clients

    Message 1 of 13 , May 7 8:53 AM
      Hi Mike,

      Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
      my one click Clips in NoteTab?

      >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
      >some time ago. I liked it better than
      >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
      >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
      >notification sounds!)
      >
      >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
      >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
      >from Sourceforg:
      >
      >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

      Thanks!

      http://www.clean-funnies.com
      See ya in the funnies!

      sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
      http://www.purewords.org

    • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7 10:30 AM
        Jody,

        I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as extensive as
        Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has basically frozen the current
        program version and is doing a re-write/overhaul for the next version that will
        be more robust.

        I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

        Larry Hamilton

        Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:

        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
        > my one click Clips in NoteTab?
        >
        > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
        > >some time ago. I liked it better than
        > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
        > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
        > >notification sounds!)
        > >
        > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
        > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
        > >from Sourceforg:
        > >
        > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
      • Dennis Cummins
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7 10:48 AM
          On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@... wrote:

          > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
          > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
          > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
          > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
          >
          > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
          >
          > Larry Hamilton

          I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to connect to
          multiple sites at one time.

          --
          Dennis
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7 4:58 PM
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cummins" <sqd@c...> wrote:

            > On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@h... wrote:
            >

            > > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
            > > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
            > > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
            > > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
            > >
            > > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
            > >
            > > Larry Hamilton
            >
            > I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to
            connect to
            > multiple sites at one time.

            Just to throw my 2 cents worth in on FTP clients in general, I also
            have CuteFTP Pro although not the newest version of it which was
            recently released. And I've been happy with CuteFTP Pro but about 6
            months ago I switched to using Directory Opus for my FTP work. I use
            Directory Opus for all my normal GUI file manager tasks so it just
            made sense to use it for FTP as well, especially since it's part of
            the package. I can't say I've tried to connect to multiple sites
            with DOpus but I'd be surprised if it couldn't do it.

            I also haven't tried the command line options for using FTP with
            DOpus but I know it has them.

            John
            Message 5 of 13 , May 10 11:04 PM
              Hi Larry H. Jr., :)

              I started to download and saw the 4+MB file and cancelled. :)
              Maybe some other time. Actually, all I would want if I switched
              would be a simple command-line driven FTP client, wouldn't even
              need a GUI. Just a few basic switches and that would be it. At
              least that is what I would want for one clickers in NoteTab. I
              don't care for the FTP.clb much. Ws_FtpLE has been real good to
              me for many years. Why fix something that is not broke, eh? :)
              I just really like my one-clickers in NoteTab. Uploads the
              focused document in the background (other than a tab on the
              taskbar) and shuts down automatically when finished.

              Does anybody use Leech? Did it ever start coming out with a
              command-line feature.

              >I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not
              >as extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author
              >has basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
              >re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
              >
              >http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
              >
              >I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

              Thanks!

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
              See ya in the funnies!

              sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
              http://www.purewords.org

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11 12:14 PM
                Jody,

                The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would imaging
                with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot with it.

                I built a couple of regular batch files for work, for our clients to upload
                and download files to our ftp site. Very few of our clients know anything
                about FTP and building a batch file is easy to walk them through running.

                ftp.exe can be given a command to read a file with all the commands you
                want. It can display characters to indicate progress, or if you do not want
                to see that, the window will just close when it is done.

                Here are the command line options for FileZilla from help:

                Command line

                Description

                FileZilla.exe [ftp://][user:pass@]host[:port][/dir]

                connects to a server

                FileZilla.exe -i sitemanager.txt

                imports the file "sitemanager.txt" into the sitemanager (or any other
                textfile if you want)

                I see now that I play with it, it is only commands for connecting to the
                remote site. At present, it does not appear that FileZilla will do what you
                want.

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton

                Message 7 of 13 , May 11 2:01 PM
                  Hi Larry,

                  >The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would
                  >imaging with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot
                  >with it.

                  Eric's Clips are quite easy to understand if you have ftp'd
                  before and know the basics. The problem seems to be the way
                  ftp.exe passes off the information (unless Eric's ftp.clb got
                  corrupt which I don't think is the problem). I can take the same
                  information and plug it into a half dozen ftp clients and they
                  all work fine. When I try the same in ftp.exe via ftp.clb it's a
                  no-go for % of the few dozen ISPs I've been on. Normally it is
                  just adding slashes in the host folder path that causes the
                  problem with many ftp clints. They definitely do not all work the
                  same. For instance, all the following may be correct depending on
                  the ftp client and it appears the ftp site.

                  webdocs
                  /webdocs
                  /webdocs/

                  Normally it seems that the middle does the best. :) Such as...

                  /notetab.net/wwwroot
                  /sojourner.us/wwwroot

                  In short, a leading forward slash, but no trailing forward slash.

                  If you have a suggestion, or see something I'm missing, I'm all ears.
                  Take, /sojourner.us/wwwroot, for instance and see what I've tried
                  till blue in the face:

                  /sojourner.us/wwwroot
                  sojourner.us/wwwroot
                  /sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                  sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                  wwwroot

                  It always comes back with a usname/password mismatch. I know they're
                  correct, so I do not think I am getting to the correct folder.

                  Tried also: /sojourner.us/wwwroot/html

                  Happy html'n!

                  www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com