Re: [NH] Viewing *.php Files

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 27 , May 6, 2004
      that is a browser configuration problem if your code is well formed Jody
      it means the file is not being parsed for php

      neither of the urls you give appear to be working however ... so
      something is wrong
      if you want to hit chat over at http://htmlfixit.com I am sure I can
      talk you through it in no time if I am there
      Message 2 of 27 , May 6, 2004
        Hi John,

        >Jody you don't need to install PHP in your browser, it's all done on
        >the server end unless you want to install the PHP parser offline in
        >your computer.

        install.php is like a installation/setup.exe so to speak the way
        I understand them. It has directions anyway on how to get the php
        script installed. It is one of those aardvark topsites scripts if
        you are familiar with them.

        >Sounds scary doesn't it? Well it's not. In fact, below is a super
        >simple html file you can upload to any web site to test if PHP is
        >installed on that particular server. Give it a name that ends with
        >the file extension .PHP and then upload it. (I call it phptest.php)
        >
        >Then all you have to do is to go to that page and see what it
        >displays. If it's basically empty, then PHP parsing is not available
        >on that server. If it is, you'll see all sorts of info regarding how
        >the PHP is configured.
        >
        >If there is nothing below this line, then PHP is not installed on
        >this web server.
        >
        ><?php phpinfo() ; ?>

        OK, well it is not installed on:
        http://home.earthlink.net/~testbed/testphp.php all it does is
        display the line in the file (above - your code)

        I'll get with my server guy for my regular domains I use and see
        what's up with the page not found.

        Thanks!

        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        See ya in the funnies!

        sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
        http://www.purewords.org

        Message 3 of 27 , May 6, 2004
          Hi Rudolf/John,

          OK, from NoteTab's Glossary. :)

          PHTML is an acronym for Preprocessed Hypertext Markup Language
          which is a HTML-embedded scripting language that is processed by
          the webserver prior to sending to the web browser. The scripts
          can therefore be written once and run on any webserver that has
          PHP installed on it, including Netscape servers, Apache and its
          derivatives, IIS, or any other webserver that supports CGI-BIN.
          The scripted elements are replaced by HTML prior to sending to
          the web browser.

          In my server interface I have installed:
          ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, CGI-Bin

          Does it mean I need to install the files into my cgi-bin at the site?

          FWIW, this is what it says at the top of the settings page, so
          assuming I have the service, then it should do PHP:

          Website Application Settings
          This page allows you to make changes to how your website executes
          applications such as ASP, ASP.NET, Perl and PHP.

          >> My instructions are to load: install.php in my browser and follow
          >> the instructions. If I do it from NoteTab or directly from the
          >> browser, all I get is the PHP code. If I upload it, I get page not
          >> found. I know it is there.
          >
          >I think Your php installation is not working, Jody.
          >
          >Put this into a file, upload it to Your server and load it:
          >
          >---------------- File ---------------
          ><?php
          > phpinfo();
          >?>
          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 27 , May 6, 2004
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
            > Hi Rudolf/John,
            >
            > OK, from NoteTab's Glossary. :)
            >
            > PHTML is an acronym for Preprocessed Hypertext Markup Language
            > which is a HTML-embedded scripting language that is processed by
            > the webserver prior to sending to the web browser. The scripts
            > can therefore be written once and run on any webserver that has
            > PHP installed on it, including Netscape servers, Apache and its
            > derivatives, IIS, or any other webserver that supports CGI-BIN.
            > The scripted elements are replaced by HTML prior to sending to
            > the web browser.
            >
            > In my server interface I have installed:
            > ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, CGI-Bin
            >
            > Does it mean I need to install the files into my cgi-bin at the
            site?

            I'm afraid I'm out of my league on this one Jody. I've never
            installed PHP, I just put it to use. :)

            John
            Message 5 of 27 , May 6, 2004
              Jody wrote:
              >In my server interface I have installed:
              >ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, CGI-Bin
              >
              >Does it mean I need to install the files into my cgi-bin at the site?

              Maybe it means PHP isn't enabled for your account.

              >FWIW, this is what it says at the top of the settings page, so
              >assuming I have the service, then it should do PHP:
              >
              >Website Application Settings
              >This page allows you to make changes to how your website executes
              >applications such as ASP, ASP.NET, Perl and PHP.

              Check what it says for PHP then. Maybe you need to enable it yourself or pay extra for it. Do you know if PHP is included in your plan? I guess your host could be up to something odd too, like files must be named .php3 or something... just speculating.

              Message 6 of 27 , May 6, 2004
                Hi loro,

                >>Website Application Settings
                >>This page allows you to make changes to how your website executes
                >>applications such as ASP, ASP.NET, Perl and PHP.
                >
                >Check what it says for PHP then. Maybe you need to enable it yourself or pay extra for it. Do you know if PHP is included in your plan? I guess your host could be up to something odd too, like files must be named .php3 or something... just speculating.

                Thanks, sent an eMail off awhile back to find out about it. Thanks all. It's on me now. :)

                bcnu,
                jody

                I can only please one person a day.
                Today is obviously not your day.
                Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
                http://www.clean-funnies.com
                http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
                http://www.sojourner.us/software
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 27 , May 6, 2004
                  Jody,

                  > PHTML is an acronym for Preprocessed Hypertext Markup Language
                  > which is a HTML-embedded scripting language that is processed by
                  > (...)

                  Where does the acronym PHTML come into this? Have I missed something?
                  You were talking about *.php-files, right?

                  Basically You can use _any_ file suffix, if You fix Your server accordingly.
                  My http.conf contains

                  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
                  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3
                  AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml

                  which means that all files with those suffixes are parsed
                  (=preprocessed) by php.
                  I could make this *.rudi if I liked, but then my scripts weren't very
                  portable :-}

                  > (...)
                  > The scripted elements are replaced by HTML prior to sending to
                  > the web browser.

                  That's a red herring, Jody.

                  > In my server interface I have installed:
                  > ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, CGI-Bin

                  That's more of a clue. Looks like You don't have php available.

                  > Does it mean I need to install the files into my cgi-bin at the site?

                  I don't tink so. php is available a a CGI binary (versus Apache module),
                  and I remember reading that the MS-IIS has it installed as that, but I'm
                  not sure (I'm Apache only).

                  > FWIW, this is what it says at the top of the settings page, so
                  > assuming I have the service, then it should do PHP:
                  >
                  > Website Application Settings
                  > This page allows you to make changes to how your website executes
                  > applications such as ASP, ASP.NET, Perl and PHP.

                  What kinda settings does that offer?

                  BTW, I just got back to the http://www.sojourner.us/test/install.php.

                  Rather odd:
                  In the browser, it shows me Your OOPS!-page now, but telnet brings the
                  generic MS-IIS 404-page ... But maybe I mistyped something ...

                  Keep us up to date,
                  Rudi
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 6, 2004
                    Hi Rudolf

                    >Basically You can use _any_ file suffix, if You fix Your server accordingly.
                    >My http.conf contains
                    >
                    >AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
                    >AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3
                    >AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml
                    >
                    >which means that all files with those suffixes are parsed
                    >(=preprocessed) by php.

                    >> Website Application Settings
                    >> This page allows you to make changes to how your website executes
                    >> applications such as ASP, ASP.NET, Perl and PHP.
                    >
                    >What kinda settings does that offer?

                    I'm finding out; we've gone as far as we can on the list. Thanks!

                    >BTW, I just got back to the http://www.sojourner.us/test/install.php.
                    >
                    >Rather odd:
                    >In the browser, it shows me Your OOPS!-page now, but telnet brings the
                    >generic MS-IIS 404-page ... But maybe I mistyped something ...

                    That would be correct. I don't know why the pages are not found -
                    it is there. I just finished making the error page just playing
                    around when I saw the custom error messages icon in my web
                    configuration.

                    FWIW, my Ws_FtpLe says it is a MS NT server I'm on. My guess is I
                    need to have my server guy give me PHP rights.

                    Take care,
                    Jody Adair

                    and even thou doest err some!
                    http://clean-funnies.com
                    http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 6, 2004
                      I might be wrong . . . . but I always thought that ASP is to Windows as
                      PHP is to Linux and that they do not transfer cross-platfom. If you
                      want to use PHP you might have to change servers.

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                        sisterscape wrote:

                        > I might be wrong . . . . but I always thought that ASP is to Windows as
                        > PHP is to Linux and that they do not transfer cross-platfom. If you
                        > want to use PHP you might have to change servers.

                        You're wrong concerning the php/Linux part. Although it comes from a
                        Linux/Unix background, php runs fine on Windows as server OS.

                        I have a local Apache/php installation running on XP (98 works too) for
                        development and rarely get a problem transferring scripts to the *nix
                        production servers.

                        But Jody wanted to have this case closed anyway ... :-)

                        Rudi
                      • Grant MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                          Hi,
                          > I might be wrong . . . . but I always thought that ASP is to Windows as
                          > PHP is to Linux and that they do not transfer cross-platfom. If you
                          > want to use PHP you might have to change servers.

                          Although am not expert on PHP my understanding is that PHP works fine on
                          windows.
                          I've been a long time fan of ASPs scripting simplicity, I don't want to be a
                          programmer so I can't be bothered with the steep leaning curve that is .NET
                          so I have been taking a look at PHP5 and I am somewhat impressed especially
                          with it's improved XML support, the sqlite database, easy access to
                          COM,...etc. so I signed on to an account with PHP running on IIS6 and also
                          has ASP which sounds pretty much like your host setup...

                          I installed PHP5 on IIS locally pretty easily, they give you 2 choices as a
                          ISAPI filter or CGI.
                          I choose ISAPI. ASP is also an ISAPI application... Apparently the CGI dll
                          is more stable though..

                          Make sure IIS knows about PHP
                          go to the IIS manager snap in in the mmc{right click my computer -->
                          manage }
                          go to the default website -- right click ---> properties --> you are in
                          the main tabbed properties dialogue
                          Tab --> ASAPI Filters make sure PHP is a registered filter if not add it.
                          Tab --> Home directory --> Find the configuration button --->Tab app
                          mapping
                          In the 'app mapping' tab make sure the extension .PHP is mapped to the PHP
                          dll e.g. C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll
                          Note the cgi dll is different if you want to map to that instead.

                          Bob's ya uncle..

                          To view your server stuff in your browser, note tab has one of the best
                          solutions around

                          In NoteTab in the view--> options dialogue
                          Ta--> HTML Files
                          'Server name' ought to be 'localhost'
                          'Physical Path' Find the physical path to your web site on your local
                          harddrive.

                          When you use notetabs to browse {F8} it will now load from the localhost
                          server e.g.
                          http://localhost/develop/phpInfo.php

                          Now when you load from the server there is 1 gothcha in that you are going
                          to run into caching problems so hold down ctrl when you refresh {F5} or load
                          a page from the browser served from your server otherwise you won't see the
                          server side scripting changes you have made.

                          Hope this helps Grant.
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                            Hi Rudolf,

                            I was only trying to close it as far as what I needed. Not much
                            more could be said as far as my server setup. I find Grant's
                            message interesting and will look into it later. Yes, Xenu says
                            the server is the IIS, Grant.

                            >> I might be wrong . . . . but I always thought that ASP is to Windows as
                            >> PHP is to Linux and that they do not transfer cross-platfom. If you
                            >> want to use PHP you might have to change servers.
                            >
                            >You're wrong concerning the php/Linux part. Although it comes from a
                            >Linux/Unix background, php runs fine on Windows as server OS.
                            >
                            >I have a local Apache/php installation running on XP (98 works too) for
                            >development and rarely get a problem transferring scripts to the *nix
                            >production servers.
                            >
                            >But Jody wanted to have this case closed anyway ... :-)

                            Happy html'n!

                            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                              Hi Grant,

                              I take it one would need to buy the server software in order to
                              do the following locally and use NoteTab, correct? Also, does
                              "'localhost'" mean the path to where you installed the server at?

                            • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                Jody,

                                There are several free web servers, such as Apache that run on Windows. I run
                                PHP, Apache, and MySQL locally on Windows XP Home to mimic my server
                                environment, if I am making big changes that I need to test before uploading.

                                Larry Hamilton

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                  Jody wrote:
                                  >I take it one would need to buy the server software in order to
                                  >do the following locally and use NoteTab, correct? Also, does
                                  >"'localhost'" mean the path to where you installed the server at?

                                  No. It's an alias for 127.0.0.1. The address you can view your pages at when your server is running without taking the way over the Net.

                                  Same thing:
                                  http://127.0.01
                                  http://JodysComputerName
                                  http://localhost

                                  Over the Web, useable by everyone:
                                  http://xx.xx.xx.xx (Your 'public' IP address)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                    Me wrote:
                                    >Same thing:
                                    >http://127.0.01

                                    That's http://127.0.0.1 Sheesh. I miss more keys than I hit.

                                    Lotta
                                  • Grant MacKenzie
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                      > I take it one would need to buy the server software in order to
                                      > do the following locally and use NoteTab, correct? Also, does
                                      > "'localhost'" mean the path to where you installed the server at?

                                      Yes, but believe me its not daunting as it seems.
                                      IIS5 come on both the Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional installation
                                      CDs.
                                      Installation is a breeze.

                                      Larry said
                                      > There are several free web servers, such as Apache that run on
                                      > Windows. I run
                                      > PHP, Apache, and MySQL locally on Windows XP Home to mimic my server
                                      > environment, if I am making big changes that I need to test
                                      > before uploading.

                                      Yep, I think the important expression is to 'mimic my server
                                      environment'.

                                      Find out what your host server is ... most likely IIS or Apache
                                      and try to set up same locally...
                                      Find out what scripting environment ..PHP, JSP, PERL, PYTHON,PHP. and
                                      install locally..
                                      Find out what components are installed on the server and if possible install
                                      local versions or at least download the documentation.

                                      > >I installed PHP5 on IIS locally pretty easily, they give you 2
                                      > >choices as a ISAPI filter or CGI.
                                      > >I choose ISAPI. ASP is also an ISAPI application... Apparently
                                      > >the CGI dll is more stable though..
                                      > >
                                      > >Make sure IIS knows about PHP
                                      > > go to the IIS manager snap in in the mmc{right click my computer -->
                                      > >manage }
                                      > > go to the default website -- right click ---> properties --> you
                                      > >are in the main tabbed properties dialogue
                                      > > Tab --> ASAPI Filters make sure PHP is a registered filter if
                                      > not add it.
                                      > > Tab --> Home directory --> Find the configuration button --->Tab app
                                      > >mapping
                                      > > In the 'app mapping' tab make sure the extension .PHP is mapped
                                      > >to the PHP dll e.g. C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll
                                      > > Note the cgi dll is different if you want to map to that instead.
                                      > >
                                      > >Bob's ya uncle..
                                      > >
                                      > >To view your server stuff in your browser, note tab has one of the best
                                      > >solutions around
                                      > >
                                      > >In NoteTab in the view--> options dialogue
                                      > >Ta--> HTML Files
                                      > > 'Server name' ought to be 'localhost'
                                      > > 'Physical Path' Find the physical path to your web site on your local
                                      > >harddrive.
                                      > >
                                      > >When you use notetabs to browse {F8} it will now load from the
                                      > >localhost server e.g.
                                      > >http://localhost/develop/phpInfo.php
                                      > >
                                      > >Now when you load from the server there is 1 gothcha in that you
                                      > >are going to run into caching problems so hold down ctrl when you
                                      > >refresh {F5} or load a page from the browser served from your
                                      > >server otherwise you won't see the server side scripting changes
                                      > >you have made.
                                      > >
                                      > >Hope this helps Grant.
                                      >

                                      > Thanks!
                                      > Jody
                                      >
                                      > ...he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast...
                                      > http://www.clean-funnies.com
                                      > See ya in the funnies!
                                      >
                                      > sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
                                      > http://www.purewords.org

                                    • Mark McLaughlin
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                        ASP is 'Windows Only' (prisoner of Bill).

                                        PHP can be supported on both Linux and Windows.

                                        Mark McLaughlin
                                        Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
                                        mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
                                        www.bestcolorvideo.com/ 1021 Ridgeway Place, Victoria BC.
                                        " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                          Well, learn something new everyday. Looking forward to the day when I
                                          can finally make the transition to Linux and be free of Bill on my
                                          desktop too. Unfortunately, Linux is a slow learning process . . .

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                            >ASP is 'Windows Only' (prisoner of Bill).
                                            >
                                            >PHP can be supported on both Linux and Windows.

                                            Ah, but Chilisoft ASP is still alive even if under another name and developed by SUN.
                                            http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/

                                            Lotta
                                          • Robert Romberger
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                              On 6 May 2004 at 19:26, sisterscape wrote:

                                              > I might be wrong . . . . but I always thought that ASP is to Windows as PHP
                                              > is to Linux and that they do not transfer cross-platfom. If you want to use
                                              > PHP you might have to change servers.

                                              Incorrect. There is a perfectly working version of PHP on my XP Pro box
                                              right now (I use it for school work), along with MySQL and Apache. Works
                                              fine, right out of the box (or off the net as it were).

                                              --
                                              Robert

                                              Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. Alfred, Lord Tennyson
                                            • Robert Romberger
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 7, 2004
                                                On 6 May 2004 at 14:29, Jody wrote:

                                                > In my server interface I have installed:
                                                > ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, CGI-Bin
                                                >
                                                > Does it mean I need to install the files into my cgi-bin at the site?

                                                ...much deleted...

                                                PHP files can be located just about anywhere on your web site and still
                                                work *IF* the web server has PHP installed on it. Otherwise, the .php file
                                                will display like any other .txt file. This is the same sort of thing you
                                                would get if you did not have perl installed on the server - both perl and
                                                PHP are server-side scripting languages. They both require the appropriate
                                                server software to be installed and configured correctly before any script
                                                files can be processed. From the sound of things in your messages, PHP has
                                                NOT been installed on your web server, or you do not have permission to use
                                                it if it has been installed. Until that is resolved, you are stuck with
                                                plain text files that do nothing but have a .php extension.

                                                --
                                                Robert

                                                In war there is no substitute for victory. Douglas MacArthur
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 9, 2004
                                                  Hi Grant and Others,

                                                  Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I have all the info from you all
                                                  that I need now. :)

                                                  >> I take it one would need to buy the server software in order to
                                                  >> do the following locally and use NoteTab, correct? Also, does
                                                  >> "'localhost'" mean the path to where you installed the server at?
                                                  >
                                                  >Yes, but believe me its not daunting as it seems.
                                                  >IIS5 come on both the Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional installation
                                                  >CDs.

                                                  Happy html'n!

                                                  www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                                                • Ed Brown
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 9, 2004
                                                    Jody,
                                                    If you have a second computer or plenty of room, it does not take very much if you have several gigs of space, you can download free an Apache server software and make part of your computer a server so you can view php files. I am looking into that now. Will let you know on the off topic ntb what I find out. I have the way to do that in my beginners php book. try www.apache.com and if that does not work google apache.
                                                    Ed
                                                    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I have all the info from you all
                                                    that I need now. :)

                                                    >> I take it one would need to buy the server software in order to
                                                    >> do the following locally and use NoteTab, correct? Also, does
                                                    >> "'localhost'" mean the path to where you installed the server at?
                                                    >
                                                    >Yes, but believe me its not daunting as it seems.
                                                    >IIS5 come on both the Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional installation
                                                    >CDs.

                                                    Happy html'n!

                                                    www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor