Re: [NH] Delete last request please!

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2004
      On 6/5/2004 11:19, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.
      >Ed

      It is still free (there is no paid licence available for WS-FTP LE), but
      the licence restricts its usage to educational purposes in
      "degree-granting institutions." Noneligible users must buy the Pro
      version (or use another product, like the free FileZilla). The relevant
      paragraph on the licence is this:

      Ipswitch grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software free of
      charge for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT, FACULTY
      MEMBER OR STAFF MEMBER OF A DEGREE-GRANTING EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
      (K-12, JUNIOR COLLEGE, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY). Commercial use for
      training, certification or use by nonprofit organizations is not
      allowed. If you do not meet the requirements for free use of the
      Software, you can evaluate or purchase a license to WS_FTP Pro, a
      commercial version of this product.

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2004

        > >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE
        >>was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.

        I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
        some time ago. I liked it better than
        WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
        it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
        notification sounds!)

        I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
        GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
        from Sourceforg:

        www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

        FileZilla is a little more complex than WS_FTP LE
        but is MUCH faster, and the added features
        are useful. Try it.

        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike |AT| inav.net
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2004
          > The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that
          > changes on occasion.

          Here in the UK full versions, with no limitations, of WS_FTP Pro v7.6 have
          begun to appear on magazine cover disks. Perhaps that is why the LE edition
          has "disappeared".

          Greg
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2004
            Hi Mike,

            Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
            my one click Clips in NoteTab?

            >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
            >some time ago. I liked it better than
            >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
            >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
            >notification sounds!)
            >
            >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
            >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
            >from Sourceforg:
            >
            >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

            Thanks!

            http://www.clean-funnies.com
            See ya in the funnies!

            sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
            http://www.purewords.org

          • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2004
              Jody,

              I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as extensive as
              Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has basically frozen the current
              program version and is doing a re-write/overhaul for the next version that will
              be more robust.

              I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

              Larry Hamilton

              Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:

              > Hi Mike,
              >
              > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
              > my one click Clips in NoteTab?
              >
              > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
              > >some time ago. I liked it better than
              > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
              > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
              > >notification sounds!)
              > >
              > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
              > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
              > >from Sourceforg:
              > >
              > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
            • Dennis Cummins
              Message 6 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@... wrote:

                > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                >
                > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                >
                > Larry Hamilton

                I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to connect to
                multiple sites at one time.

                > Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:
                >
                > > Hi Mike,
                > >
                > > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have my one
                > > click Clips in NoteTab?
                > >
                > > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                > > >some time ago. I liked it better than
                > > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                > > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                > > >notification sounds!)
                > > >
                > > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                > > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                > > >from Sourceforg:
                > > >
                > > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

                --
                Dennis
              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cummins" <sqd@c...> wrote:

                  > On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@h... wrote:
                  >

                  > > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                  > > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                  > > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                  > > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                  > >
                  > > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                  > >
                  > > Larry Hamilton
                  >
                  > I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to
                  connect to
                  > multiple sites at one time.

                  Just to throw my 2 cents worth in on FTP clients in general, I also
                  have CuteFTP Pro although not the newest version of it which was
                  recently released. And I've been happy with CuteFTP Pro but about 6
                  months ago I switched to using Directory Opus for my FTP work. I use
                  Directory Opus for all my normal GUI file manager tasks so it just
                  made sense to use it for FTP as well, especially since it's part of
                  the package. I can't say I've tried to connect to multiple sites
                  with DOpus but I'd be surprised if it couldn't do it.

                  I also haven't tried the command line options for using FTP with
                  DOpus but I know it has them.

                  John
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 10, 2004
                    Hi Larry H. Jr., :)

                    I started to download and saw the 4+MB file and cancelled. :)
                    Maybe some other time. Actually, all I would want if I switched
                    would be a simple command-line driven FTP client, wouldn't even
                    need a GUI. Just a few basic switches and that would be it. At
                    least that is what I would want for one clickers in NoteTab. I
                    don't care for the FTP.clb much. Ws_FtpLE has been real good to
                    me for many years. Why fix something that is not broke, eh? :)
                    I just really like my one-clickers in NoteTab. Uploads the
                    focused document in the background (other than a tab on the
                    taskbar) and shuts down automatically when finished.

                    Does anybody use Leech? Did it ever start coming out with a
                    command-line feature.

                    >I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not
                    >as extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author
                    >has basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                    >re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                    >
                    >http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
                    >
                    >I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

                    Thanks!

                    http://www.clean-funnies.com
                    See ya in the funnies!

                    sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
                    http://www.purewords.org

                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                      Jody,

                      The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would imaging
                      with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot with it.

                      I built a couple of regular batch files for work, for our clients to upload
                      and download files to our ftp site. Very few of our clients know anything
                      about FTP and building a batch file is easy to walk them through running.

                      ftp.exe can be given a command to read a file with all the commands you
                      want. It can display characters to indicate progress, or if you do not want
                      to see that, the window will just close when it is done.

                      Here are the command line options for FileZilla from help:

                      Command line

                      Description

                      FileZilla.exe [ftp://][user:pass@]host[:port][/dir]

                      connects to a server

                      FileZilla.exe -i sitemanager.txt

                      imports the file "sitemanager.txt" into the sitemanager (or any other
                      textfile if you want)

                      I see now that I play with it, it is only commands for connecting to the
                      remote site. At present, it does not appear that FileZilla will do what you
                      want.

                      HTH,

                      Larry Hamilton

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                        Hi Larry,

                        >The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would
                        >imaging with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot
                        >with it.

                        Eric's Clips are quite easy to understand if you have ftp'd
                        before and know the basics. The problem seems to be the way
                        ftp.exe passes off the information (unless Eric's ftp.clb got
                        corrupt which I don't think is the problem). I can take the same
                        information and plug it into a half dozen ftp clients and they
                        all work fine. When I try the same in ftp.exe via ftp.clb it's a
                        no-go for % of the few dozen ISPs I've been on. Normally it is
                        just adding slashes in the host folder path that causes the
                        problem with many ftp clints. They definitely do not all work the
                        same. For instance, all the following may be correct depending on
                        the ftp client and it appears the ftp site.

                        webdocs
                        /webdocs
                        /webdocs/

                        Normally it seems that the middle does the best. :) Such as...

                        /notetab.net/wwwroot
                        /sojourner.us/wwwroot

                        In short, a leading forward slash, but no trailing forward slash.

                        If you have a suggestion, or see something I'm missing, I'm all ears.
                        Take, /sojourner.us/wwwroot, for instance and see what I've tried
                        till blue in the face:

                        /sojourner.us/wwwroot
                        sojourner.us/wwwroot
                        /sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                        sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                        wwwroot

                        It always comes back with a usname/password mismatch. I know they're
                        correct, so I do not think I am getting to the correct folder.

                        Tried also: /sojourner.us/wwwroot/html

                        Happy html'n!

                        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com